Any NT Entrepreneurs ?

I am absolutely sick and tired of being an underpaid corporate workhorse and I have been seriously considering starting my own business. (no...not a sneaker boutique)

Ideally I would like to hear about past experiences and start somewhat of a micro think thank in regards to being self-employed
pimp.gif

What business did you start?

How much did you start off with?

Plans on stimulating growth within your business?

How much would it cost to start up a car wash??? What the profits look like also? Anybody...
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

I'm talkin bout the do-it-yourself carwash... wit da vacuums and %%!@

Originally Posted by Young Handsome

How much would it cost to start up a car wash??? What the profits look like also? Anybody...
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

self service with the pressure washer and soap foam bar?
or the express  tunnel w/ the free vacuum?

Originally Posted by DtotheD

nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

The self service kind...

i heard the express tunnel messes your paint job up over time..

Originally Posted by DtotheD

nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

The self service kind...

i heard the express tunnel kind mess your paint job up over time..
unsure about the coin op self service type of wash.
no the tunnel washes do not mess up paint over time, however on darker paint jobs it does create swirl effect that eventually you would need to high speed buff.
there are some express tunnel/free vacuum car washes that do approx 10-15k cars per month.  2 man labor crew, car washes cost from $5-15

Originally Posted by NaturalyLight

you don't see all these bums with their t shirt lines every other week?
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Takes a real sucker !+# _ to +++@ on people trying to build a foundation for growth and not work for "the man" .. Kudos to you
pimp.gif
[/color]

Did a little research on the self service car washes a while ago and the cost to just can be 2 mill plus easy. Don't know about profit but I think living in Florida it would be something worth investing in, maybe starting with a manned carwash first and growing into a self service type joint.

Originally Posted by CJ863

Did a little research on the self service car washes a while ago and the cost to just can be 2 mill plus easy. Don't know about profit but I think living in Florida it would be something worth investing in, maybe starting with a manned carwash first and growing into a self service type joint.

2 mill is way too high but that depends on location and size. It would cost way less to buy an existing location.

Just put together a business plan for a company I am thinking of starting.  It is way too early to talk about it, but if it does become a reality, I'll update this thread.

OP i don't know if you would consider it a small business but i own a rental home which makes me some money each month and gives me equity in something.  just gotta make sure you find something you can make a profit on.

You dont want these problems dog

All I can say is make sure youre owning a business and not owning a job. Big difference Jefe

there's a big difference between entrepreneurs and small business owners. the former often does grander things, or looks to grow a company to sell eventually and then start another, and another. at least that is how i look at it.

anyway, starting your own business is no picnic in the park. it takes a lot of time and sometimes, you just don't have enough wind in your sails to make it all the way.

recent college dropout, own my own business which I hope to turn into a million dollar business within the next few months

plans on growth: online advertising (i've done almost half a milli in sales with ZERO advertising). Bring on a few more people and develop them not only as workers, but as human beings. I recommend books on creativity, money management, business etc. to my co-workers. I also recommend they dedicate an hour at work to pick up a skill that they want to learn (the google approach - watch this vid )
how much did I start out with: no more than $100. Started on eBay, grew my bank exponentially

TIPS:
taking advantage of social media, I've sold to customers in 5 continents without ever leaving my apartment
You must have an INSANE amount of dedication, I'm talking about working until 4am, waking up at 8am to get back at it. Friends going out on Friday night and your idea is still just an idea? Stay your %@# home and work until its implemented (Ideation without execution is nothing more than delusion)
Innovation (if not original, better put a damn innovative spin to an established business plan)
Get a good team around you - cannot surround yourselves with bums....if your workers don't buy into the idea of the company/business then you will GET NOWHERE
Stay humble. It can take YEARS to build something that takes SECONDS to destroy. You MUST wake up every day and decide how your business will grow/evolve.
Do your research. I NEVER took a business, coding, design class in my life, but I've built a business + website out of scratch. The internet can be your best friend or your worst enemy. For every video of a dog farting you watch on youtube, you can be learning a skill on the very same site

/Rant. Very passionate about what I do. HOW BAD DO YOU WANT IT? Are you going to be a corporate puppet your entire life?

Started my own business. I havent worked a traditional job since 2009. What I do consists of music & media production from CD/DVD duplication, photography & video production.
I've built a client base of over 100 within the past year. I'm planning on starting some other businesses in the future.

Heres my site: www.TheGrindington.com

Originally Posted by bns1201

recent college dropout, own my own business which I hope to turn into a million dollar business within the next few months

plans on growth: online advertising (i've done almost half a milli in sales with ZERO advertising). Bring on a few more people and develop them not only as workers, but as human beings. I recommend books on creativity, money management, business etc. to my co-workers. I also recommend they dedicate an hour at work to pick up a skill that they want to learn (the google approach - watch this vid )
how much did I start out with: no more than $100. Started on eBay, grew my bank exponentially

TIPS:
taking advantage of social media, I've sold to customers in 5 continents without ever leaving my apartment
You must have an INSANE amount of dedication, I'm talking about working until 4am, waking up at 8am to get back at it. Friends going out on Friday night and your idea is still just an idea? Stay your %@# home and work until its implemented (Ideation without execution is nothing more than delusion)
Innovation (if not original, better put a damn innovative spin to an established business plan)
Get a good team around you - cannot surround yourselves with bums....if your workers don't buy into the idea of the company/business then you will GET NOWHERE
Stay humble. It can take YEARS to build something that takes SECONDS to destroy. You MUST wake up every day and decide how your business will grow/evolve.
Do your research. I NEVER took a business, coding, design class in my life, but I've built a business + website out of scratch. The internet can be your best friend or your worst enemy. For every video of a dog farting you watch on youtube, you can be learning a skill on the very same site

/Rant. Very passionate about what I do. HOW BAD DO YOU WANT IT? Are you going to be a corporate puppet your entire life?

What kind of business?

Originally Posted by girlslovewaffles

there's a big difference between entrepreneurs and small business owners. the former often does grander things, or looks to grow a company to sell eventually and then start another, and another. at least that is how i look at it.

anyway, starting your own business is no picnic in the park. it takes a lot of time and sometimes, you just don't have enough wind in your sails to make it all the way.

That's cool that you're applying your own definitions and all but in reality, small business owners are entrepreneurs. Period.It almost sounds like you're confusing entrepeneur with venture capitalist.

As a summer project before college I was trying to work with some local businesses and use QR codes for coupons/discounts, but it never worked out because the big chain businesses had no interest and the small mom/pop stores didn't really want to go the technology way with the codes and smartphones needed to utilize them.

It was engaging while I was doing it but now I'm actually going to learn a skill.

Im not too sure about about starting a business just to sell it, while thats an extremely intelligent idea and can be very profitable ala the mark cubans of the world...i truly would like to start something im passionate about which i doubt id be willing to sell.

Thanks for the input guys...

@bns yea man if it means that i will see the profit..i honestly do not mind working those 20 hour days...versus 9 10 hour work days for a company

Back
Top Bottom