Any NTers have ACL reconstruction surgery?

Discussion in 'General' started by jch3, Mar 8, 2009.

1. jch3

jch3

Thank goodness it's not me, but my lady is having her ACL reconstructed on Monday.

Any NTers have this procedure done (it's more common than I thought), and any stories stemming from them?

Be honest, but I am looking for some good, uplifting stories to ease her anxiety.

2. thegggame

thegggame Banned

im getting this on thursday morning. i had a level 3 torn acl along with torn patella.

3. luong1209

luong1209

*Raises hand (Torn ACL and shattered meniscus)

- After surgery:
    A) Tired and woozy
    B) Make sure she gets a lot of rest
    C) Slight pain, swelling and discomfort
    - Rehab is key. Although it may seem useless, continue till your physical therapist says so.
    - I suggest she wear a brace when she does get back into playing sports (assuming she does), it helps a lot.

Best wishes to OP's girl and above me.

4. shatterkneesinc

shatterkneesinc Banned

depends on what graft is being used

hamstring grafts are generally less painful but recovery period is longer

patella grafts are very painful, especially on your patella, but this graft is strong and recovery is faster

get the knee moving asap, you don't want to develop any scar tissues

rehab is key, this is where the real pain comes in.. you have to work out your leg and you can't slack, not even for a day

and heres a warning, your first 1-2 weeks, when you get up from bed, you will feel a burning blood rush to your leg that is painful as hell that makes you wantto punch someone nearby

I tore my freaking acl and both meniscus, quite possibly one of the most painful (emotional) experience in my life. Thus my screen name is dedicated to.

good luck to your girl

5. gameover2

gameover2

tell her not to worry. it's not as uncommon as most people think. i think it's overrated too.

i blew up my ACL in September 2006, had surgery (hamstring graft) by late November. I was back to playing full-contact bball by June 2007. i admit i was a bitrenege on my rehab but it didn't matter. I had fully recovered by around May 2007. I would have recovered sooner had I religiously done my rehab.

6. purplexgrapes

purplexgrapes Banned

Tore my ACL, PCL, MCL, plus various meniscus damage playing football going into my Jr year of high school...in short it lightweight ruined my life but you cancome back from any of that %*##, just wish I knew it then. Lift, rehab, all that %*## and you/whoever will be fine.

7. jch3

jch3

Thanks to all of the wishes. I appreciate it a lot.

She is getting the hamstring graft, she has about an 8 month recovery period because next year is her last year of NCAA eligibility.

Damn. Were you on any meds at all?

8. shatterkneesinc

shatterkneesinc Banned

doc prescribed me vicodin and I didnt take any.

the pain is something serious. you can actually feel the blood flowing down your leg in sequences

9. lurkin2long

lurkin2long Banned

ive never had a serious injury in my life. hope it stays that way for very long.

10. drjordanlover45

drjordanlover45

i had this in the summer of 07

it sucked so bad cause i was just 16..

i couldnt really do much for about 2 weeks.. then went into physical therapy for like 2 or 3 months.. and i started playing basketball again in march

everything was fine.. although in september of last yr i flipped half my meniscus and had surgery again in november [​IMG]

I'm quite afraid to play basketball at full strength now.. [​IMG]

EDIT: oh i forgot to mention i wore a brace after my surgery for about 2 months as well, i took it off after my doctor said it was fine.

the pain is no big deal.. just the night after the surgery i couldnt sleep well.. but that was all

11. shaft

shaft

I've torn both my ACL's...both using allograft (cadaver).

Get religious about meds the first weeks and rehab until you are told to stop.

12. DeadsetAce

DeadsetAce

i had my entire left knee done...pcl, mcl, acl, meniscus. surgery went fine. didn't even use the painkillers they gave me. crutches for 2 months orso...rehab for 6 months with a PT...3 more months alone...and i was good to go by a year. my left knee is actually probably stronger now than the right one.

13. purplexgrapes

purplexgrapes Banned

Same, it's my right knee that gives me all the problems now [​IMG]

14. raptors29

raptors29

Thank god I didn't have to have surgery for my ACL and MCL because they weren't torn all the way.

15. newbery158

newbery158

i had ACL reconstruction, as well as torn PCL and meniscus. The most eye opening part of the whole recovering experience for me was seeing all the people thathad it 1000x worse when I was at rehab. Makes you think when you see people that are wheelchair bound the rest of their life when you will be able to walkagain.

16. kanyewestjayz4life

kanyewestjayz4life

How old are you? I was 19 when my first injury came, i was saying the same thing. lol. Im 20 now though.

I hyper extended my left knee. My doctor told me just to work it out and it should heal fine, but i think hes wrong or didnt care because my knee is stillloose. Everytime i play ball i get hurt.

17. jch3

jch3

Seriously, I think about this all the time. No matter how bad I think I have it, somebody has it worse. A lot worse.

We are about 9 hours away from surgery now and it looks like she doesn't want to go to sleep. [​IMG] Looks like an all nighter for me.

Thanks for all of the stories guys.

18. rico7jt

rico7jt

Tore my ACL and MCL a few years ago and still fill major pain ....

19. whyte1der05five

whyte1der05five

This happened to my gf almost 2 yrs ago.

She tore it during a preseason game against queens college.

She took awhile to recover, she wasnt 100% again until like a year n a half.

She had the hamstring graf too.

Shes good now tho.

20. biggie62

biggie62

I have a slight tear in my right knee. Is there anything you guys can recommend me doing to help it heal faster or something? Like exercises and such? Toatleast strengthen the other parts of my knee to keep less pressure off the ACL. I've only had a few serious sprains where I strained my achilles twice andthat was the extent of my injuries when I was playing ball. That is until this past summer when I tweaked it during a pickup at the park and it's beengiving me stuff ever since. Like I'd rest it for 2-3 months and not do any sports and when I did decide to play something it would give again.

21. purplexgrapes

purplexgrapes Banned

Dog somethin aint right then....

22. pdoggy85

pdoggy85

Niketalk for people with knee problems: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/
    I used this forum ALOT while going through rehab for my torn acl/meniscus. I highly recommend it.