Any NTers losing interest in kicks like Jordan retros and the whole "sneaker culture"?

I don't know about you guys but over the last couple of years I've just been losing interests over all sneakers. Especially with Jordans. Feels like with life and work i'm finding that I have to go out of my way just to wear a pair of sneakers outside of the gym, let alone buy more to sit in a closet. Anyone else feel like they're losing interest in their own sneaker game? Don't get me wrong I will always appreciate a good, well designed sneaker but im finding less and less ways to justify shelling out so much money for kicks that I can barely wear as it is. Strange things is as my interest in sneakers like jordans and  lebrons decline im gaining more and more interests in runners and trainers. specifically huaraches runs and huarache nms and even roshes.  But anyways, any of you guys losing or have lost interest? and for what reason? what shoes are you wearing now as opposed to Jordan retros?

Yep.

Don't really buy shoes like that anymore. I'll maybe make a purchase twice a year, and that's only if I really like it. Been getting into runners though.

As far as Jordans go, once I get find decently priced Royals and Breds, I'm done.

Yep.

Don't really buy shoes like that anymore. I'll maybe make a purchase twice a year, and that's only if I really like it. Been getting into runners though.

As far as Jordans go, once I get find decently priced Royals and Breds, I'm done.
right there with you. I get a pair of jordans maybe twice a year now. but ive been recently introduced to huarache runners and i love them. 

Jordan's are made like trash, cost 70more, and come out once a week. Don't need to elaborate any further. The only shoes I buy are the shoes I intend to use for their actual purpose. Running shoes for running, bball shoes for bball, ect. SO much money saved

IMO this is just a high school type thing. Worrying about what you wear everyday, trying to impress the dudes. Once the 9-5 kicks in ain't nobody got time for that. Can't walk about in basketball shoes all day

Last edited:
Lost it a long time ago. Fell out of that whole materialistic phase as a whole. I wear whatever now, rarely buy new clothes too, for shoes I wear a pair of merell barefoot hiking shoes. After switching to a barefoot shoe I never wanted to go back, it's just so comfortable.

Classic Timbs. Spring Summer Winter and Fall

Last edited:
Jordan's are made like trash, cost 70more, and come out once a week. Don't need to elaborate any further. The only shoes I buy are the shoes I intend to use for their actual purpose. Running shoes for running, bball shoes for bball, ect. SO much money saved
exactly where im at. i cant justify spending the money if i am never going to where the shoes. Which is a real possibility because i cant wear sneakers monday-friday

Last edited:

Been lost it.
reasoning?

IMO this is just a high school type thing. Worrying about what you wear everyday, trying to impress the dudes. Once the 9-5 kicks in ain't nobody got time for that. Can't walk about in basketball shoes all day

exactly where im at. i cant justify spending the money if i am never going to where the shoes. Which is a real possibility because i cant wear sneakers monday-friday
In short... I started that phase while I was a kid still in high school.

Im a grown man (legally) now. For all the reasons mentioned above and more, it was time to hang up the cape.

Only wear runners and SBs now. Got like 7ish pairs of shoes.

Last edited:
I just don't like what releases have turned into. I'm not about to deal with raffles or online bots. F all that. I won't jump through hoops just to spend my own money. If I REALLY like something I'll let someone else do the work and pay the resale price. That rarely happens though. My priorities have changed anyway. Not really a big deal to me anymore.

I feel like I should start "dressing better" but there's always a shoe that comes out and catches my attention.
This year I haven't made any purchases but the Laney 14 and Aqua 8 are calling my name

It's not even a "materialistic" thing for me. I just don't have the time and patience to go through hoops for a pair of shoes. My money has been going towards Flight '89s, Puma Suedes and other Nike retros. If I come up on a random pair of J's online (at retail), i'll splurge.

Prally the last place to ask since the general dont care for sneakers period... but ya i dont have as much interest as before... i still cop sneakers but not at the same rate as when i was younger or a few years ago...theres nothing i like and all the shoes i have now are keepers so i dont need much more of the new stuff

Last edited:
like 5 years ago. i see it as unnecessary to waste money trying to impress, which is what people who haves a crap load of shoes do. its really not that impressive at all. 

more to life then gear . used to be materialistic but my mind has changed now. 

Last edited:
NT General is like Florida for old people. Once you retire, you come here.

I lost interest in kicks back in college. It's hard to pinpoint an exact reason, as it seems so long ago. But if I had to take a shot in the dark, I'd say it's because of the resale game, raffles, lines, limited quantities of kicks I wanted, and the fact that I didn't get to wear sneakers as much as I did when I was in high school. All in all, I decided to spend money on different things such as shoes and clothes that are more in line with my current taste, travel, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I still have love for kicks and I'll peruse through the JB forum on occasion. But I haven't bought a new release since I was able to get the Columbias back in December. But those are my grails and I had a connect who got them for me without me having to stand in line or enter a raffle. I can safely say that I'll never go back to being a "sneaker head" like I was 10 years ago. Still love the shoes but there's way more to life, man.

I feel like I should start "dressing better" but there's always a shoe that comes out and catches my attention.
This year I haven't made any purchases but the Laney 14 and Aqua 8 are calling my name

The only two I'm eyeing also. :lol:

I wanted the citrus 11s, but I couldn't cop at retail, and the stores were giving me all the indications that it wouldn't be an easy buy. So I passed on them and figured I'd scoop on eBay later on in life. Didn't even trip despite the fact that I like those even more than I like my Columbias. :smh: :lol:

I'll probably never lose interest in shoes themselves because I love it from the design side of things, but between my self control (if the price is too high or the materials are trash; I'm cool), and being far too real of a ___ to jump through hoops to give companies my money, I rarely actually pick stuff up.

I've never rocked with the "game" too heavily in the first place either outside of spreading love when possible.

Last edited:
I agree with all of you. One thing that probably started pushing me in the other direction is that fact i spent the better part of the past 6 years in a gentrified yuppy town. I wouldnt say that i changed to conform but being apart of that kind of environment for so long really changed the way i dressed and viewed fashion in general. Its a place where if youre wearing brightly colored shoes and a matching tee and fitted you would definitely stand out. and most bars and restaurants wont even let you in with boots or sneakers. and that just carried over to the other aspects of my life. seems like i actually have to go out of my way to throw on a fit that i can rock some kicks with. 

Last edited:
I still collect but it's impossible to keep up. Also you can't even have a solid connect anymore. Use to pay $20-$30 over retail but even those dudes got greedy. The culture is dead IMO, it's all about how much can I resell these for. All the new methods are annoying also, bots and raffles, I miss just waking up early on Saturday and hitting a shop to cop. I blame these kids however, I am on retro threads and they are paying dumb pre order and reseller prices for a want, then complain about that stuff. Stop supporting the beast!

I think my biggest problem with this was that I went to a majority black HS and the shoe-craze hit us hard.

Latest kicks or hard to obtain fresh retros? You hit those hallways like Big Meech in '03.

Got me tons of play... Then I went to college where im one in like 100 black dudes on a campus of 10000+ students who couldn't care less what was on your feet.

Changed my perspective completely.

I feel you on the waking up early part. As a kid, that **** used to excite me, man. Calling it quits early on a Friday night just to wake up early and hit the mall to be one of the first in line. I remember buying the 06 Metallic 5s. All of my home boys wanted to cop too so I had to scoop them all up that morning and we all got a pair. Those were good times where you knew the people buying were doing it for the love of the shoes, rather than to take the s**** out to the parking lot and flip em for a few extra dollars. Miss me with that bs. :smh:

I think my biggest problem with this was that I went to a majority black HS and the shoe-craze hit us hard.

Latest kicks or hard to obtain fresh retros? You hit those hallways like Big Meech in '03.

Got me tons of play... Then I went to college where im one in like 100 black dudes on a campus of 10000+ students who couldn't care less what was on your feet.

Changed my perspective completely.

:lol: too much truth in that post. Going to college and realizing that it was a completely different dynamic when it came to appearances just blew my mind at first. Had me walking around like "dost thousts neck not breaketh?"

Then a NTer put us up on game. Girls don't give a damn about sneakers. Straight had me doing the weebay gif when he said "you'll never hear a girl say 'cool shoes, are they LS? Want to have sex?'" :lol:

LS stands for lifestyle for those that were wondering. It's the marker JB gave to all their limited retros back in the day.

Last edited:
I go in retro threads for personal enjoyment, people really be sad about missing on pairs. I haven't lost any sleep on pairs I missed out on. I always look at a missed pair as money saved.

Back
Top Bottom