Any Pharmacy Technician's here on NT? Need some help.

Gill Baka Esq. LLC.

formerly grimlock
Hey, let me get straight into it...I just finished this semester of college and I have not worked for about 9 months (worked before-hand just to save upenough bread to pay for school and stop working to focus mainly on school, which paid off greatly)

I've been looking for jobs here in NYC but I just don't want to go back into retail sales so I found out about a certificate program to be a pharmacytechnician and I just wanted to find out from those who have taken a certficate program or those who just work as pharmacy technician if it would be a wisemove to persue this?

All help is much appreciated.

pimp.gif

Although I'm not certified, thus technically not a technician, I do work in the pharmacy and do pretty much everything a technician does (although I'mmainly relegated to the cashier which blows). I think being a technician is a great thing to do while in school. Also, I have been told by many certified techsthat this is a great backup plan to their main goals. I know some techs making upwards of $25 per hour, and while that may not be an outstanding amount ofmoney, it is enough to satisfy meager needs.

Do it.

BTW, I'm currently in the process of being certified by my company (Rite Aid). In the near future, all technicians in NY must be certified in order to workin the pharmacy.

Originally Posted by Super Producer J

Also, I have been told by many certified techs that this is a great backup plan to their main goals.
That's currently my plan.
happy.gif
Still not sure whatI'm gonna go back to school for though.

I'm currently on my externship which is kind of like my final exam, I have to complete 120 hours at Save-on Pharmacy here in Cali. No pay
frown.gif
, but I'm really enjoying it. I wasn'ttoo sure what I was going to do right of high school, but my cousin told me about it and we ended up taking the course together. I think my 8 months ofschooling was worth it, and and you'll definitely take in alot of information, info you won't necessarily need or use but its nice to know regardingusage of the meds, I'm not sure how pharmacies work around your guys' way, but here in LA/San Fernando Valley, pay isnt very high. Like my mentor at myexternship is getting payed $16.40 an hour and had been working there for 11+ years. But I guess it all depends where you work, I plan to get a job in ahospital, Kaiser Permanente cause its good pay from what I've heard and won't have to deal with peoples insurance.

If you work at retail (ie. chain stores,Rite Aid, CVS, Walgreens, etc.) you'll be at the register and on the phones/fax machines all day. And even thoughwe as techs are supposed to do all the work, the Pharmacist dispenses the drugs like 98% of time . However I'm having fun doing it, and I just turned 20,so any income is good income at this point in my life. I end my externship next week and I still have to wait 6-8 weeks til I get my license, so that gives mea summer break
smokin.gif

Hope it works out for you fam if you decide to take it up
happy.gif

Hey thanks alot for the encouragement, it's just that I really don't want to do sales and have to handle customers like I did at macys...I mean peopledo that job and I don't ever knock a legal means to their ends but I can't see myself doing that and being happy.

I found a school that does the pharm tech program in 5 weeks and I guess you take a test? I just started my research on it and it looks good as a full-time jobfor now/part-time job come next semester time.

If anyone else has anymore advice especially on the program please post it up maybe thiers a couple people on here that can make of the information as well.

Sorry to dig up this thread but I've recently been researching on becoming a pharm tech here in Sacramento. 2 people i know have told me that they took a 9 month course to prepare for their PTCB exam and one friend said that all she did was buy a review book and studied. I know the certification is all that matters to land a job but I cannot imagine myself sitting down and teaching myself this stuff on my own. My question is does the quality of the course differ between a vocational school and a junior college?

The job itself I hear becomes very easy and repetitive. the biggest complaint ive heard from all the people ive talked to has been about dealing with insurance companies and psycho customers that cant get their refills. The pay here for a certified pharm tech is around $18/Hr which isnt bad for a 9 month program. The people I've talked to are either doing this part time and still going to school or are planning to go back to school. It seems like this job is not something anyone would enjoy for the long run.

What do you guys think? Grimlock, SuperproducerJ, donpoppa, jiffyloob - any updates from you guys? i would love to hear what you guys are doing now and any other insights on the subject.

Last edited:
Sorry to dig up this thread but I've recently been researching on becoming a pharm tech here in Sacramento. 2 people i know have told me that they took a 9 month course to prepare for their PTCB exam and one friend said that all she did was buy a review book and studied. I know the certification is all that matters to land a job but I cannot imagine myself sitting down and teaching myself this stuff on my own. My question is does the quality of the course differ between a vocational school and a junior college?

The job itself I hear becomes very easy and repetitive. the biggest complaint ive heard from all the people ive talked to has been about dealing with insurance companies and psycho customers that cant get their refills. The pay here for a certified pharm tech is around $18/Hr which isnt bad for a 9 month program. The people I've talked to are either doing this part time and still going to school or are planning to go back to school. It seems like this job is not something anyone would enjoy for the long run.

What do you guys think? Grimlock, SuperproducerJ, donpoppa, jiffyloob - any updates from you guys? i would love to hear what you guys are doing now and any other insights on the subject.

I only had a book and studied it. Passed pretty easily.
Then again, I had about a year's worth of volunteer experience in a pharmacy.
I believe you have to take the PTCB exam to be certified nationally. You then have to apply for a California license.

i went through a pharm tech program a couple of years ago. it's easy money but i wouldn't want a career as one.  I did an externship for 3 months and hated it.

Although I'm not certified, thus technically not a technician, I do work in the pharmacy and do pretty much everything a technician does (although I'm mainly relegated to the cashier which blows). I think being a technician is a great thing to do while in school. Also, I have been told by many certified techs that this is a great backup plan to their main goals. I know some techs making upwards of $25 per hour, and while that may not be an outstanding amount of money, it is enough to satisfy meager needs.

Do it.

BTW, I'm currently in the process of being certified by my company (Rite Aid). In the near future, all technicians in NY must be certified in order to work in the pharmacy.

:pimp:
bruh if i can get around 20 an hr id be good

18 and dunno what to do after HS checking in

In Texas, we can do a trainee program. Where we would pay some money to be able to work as a pharmacy tech trainee. At walgreens they offer this program so they pay for me to take a class like once a week. And you get paid like $10 an hour.

What a grave dig!

Oddly enough, I'm working at a hospital right now, but not as a technician. When my probation is up, I may look into transferring into the pharmacy. All the techs here (that I know) are happy with the work they do and their compensation.

Contemplating taking the PCAT next year, along with the DAT which is my primary goal.

My aunt is a pharmacist and told me salaries, at the retail level, are dropping insane. Cheap *** Rite Aid starts their pharmacists at 45K iirc.

I just started my program it ends in january and we do an externship from sept-jan. I hope I can get a job at a hospital, I've seen the salary difference between hospitals and retail pharmacies. I'd be happy with that or even costco which pays a little more than CVS, RITE AIDE, WALGREENS etc

Back
Top Bottom