Any Teachers On NT? Vol:School Me

All this is nonsense... I am a current teacher in a high school. You do not need a masters degree, however you will need to get citified by passing a series of test. Its a great job mainly because you have the ability to positively effect lives.

All this is nonsense... I am a current teacher in a high school. You do not need a masters degree, however you will need to get citified by passing a series of test. Its a great job mainly because you have the ability to positively effect lives.

Teacher here...BA in ethnic studies, Social Science credential for MS/HS
1. I would HIGHLY recommend volunteering or working with different age levels to start with. Most teachers have a preferred age level, and you need to find that comfort zone. I love working with all youth, but in the day to day classroom, my preference is HS by far.  Find out yours.

2. ALL CREDENTIAL PROGRAMS ARE THE SAME. I dont care if you go to Stanford or your local state college, do not get fooled and think you are getting a better experience by going to a prestigious and expensive program. Real talk....whatever is the cheapest, and closest to you. THAT' should be your choice.

3. Why? Because most cred programs are staffed with professors who havent stepped into the classroom in decades. If you find a professor that knows what their talking about, cling to them and try to get as much knowledge possible.

4. When you get into a cred program, do your HW. You will meet a ton of students who dont care about pedagogy  at all, who think teaching is all about experience. WRONG! You should have some solid foundation of theory in your practice, and you can only get that by reading.

5. DO NOT LET THE PROGRAM ASSIGN YOU A MASTER TEACHER! Take the time, go visit classes, talk to teachers, and find your master teacher (the one who you will intern for a school year). Too many "master teachers" are worthless, and only ask for student teachers to lighten their work load. Find a teacher in your subject who will inspire you, who will take the time to pass you down their knowledge, who will talk to you about how to handle real situations, etc. Man, you dont know how many of my colleagues complained about their master teachers and their unprofessionalism.

6. I've only taught 1 year, but man, it is emotionally and physically draining. Half of all teachers change career within 5 years, so the odds are stacked against you. If it aint the lesson plans, students, it's administration, politics, the district, the school....so many things that are overwhelming, and sometimes it feels like the year will never end. Seriously, breaking down at some point will happen, It's a matter of how you respond to it.

7. This is my biggest piece of advice...either give your students all, or dont bother. If you are going to be the teacher who suspends kids at any given chance, leaves the school at 3:30, and could care less if students fail or pass your class, pick a different career. Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too many teachers like that, and we dont need more. If you are willing to put in the work with kids and give your all, by all means become a teacher. 

8. Never stop believing in kids. This is hard because it's so easy to give up on anyone, but keep the faith, Believe that one day they will "get it", and do better for themselves. It's easy to cater to the book nerds, the ones who give you no problems and do the work on the time, but you got to spend time with the ones who are on the verge of giving up. High risk/high reward..it's those kids who need constant positive reinforcements, and reminders of what they are capable of.

If you got specific questions, just ask

Teacher here...BA in ethnic studies, Social Science credential for MS/HS
1. I would HIGHLY recommend volunteering or working with different age levels to start with. Most teachers have a preferred age level, and you need to find that comfort zone. I love working with all youth, but in the day to day classroom, my preference is HS by far.  Find out yours.

2. ALL CREDENTIAL PROGRAMS ARE THE SAME. I dont care if you go to Stanford or your local state college, do not get fooled and think you are getting a better experience by going to a prestigious and expensive program. Real talk....whatever is the cheapest, and closest to you. THAT' should be your choice.

3. Why? Because most cred programs are staffed with professors who havent stepped into the classroom in decades. If you find a professor that knows what their talking about, cling to them and try to get as much knowledge possible.

4. When you get into a cred program, do your HW. You will meet a ton of students who dont care about pedagogy  at all, who think teaching is all about experience. WRONG! You should have some solid foundation of theory in your practice, and you can only get that by reading.

5. DO NOT LET THE PROGRAM ASSIGN YOU A MASTER TEACHER! Take the time, go visit classes, talk to teachers, and find your master teacher (the one who you will intern for a school year). Too many "master teachers" are worthless, and only ask for student teachers to lighten their work load. Find a teacher in your subject who will inspire you, who will take the time to pass you down their knowledge, who will talk to you about how to handle real situations, etc. Man, you dont know how many of my colleagues complained about their master teachers and their unprofessionalism.

6. I've only taught 1 year, but man, it is emotionally and physically draining. Half of all teachers change career within 5 years, so the odds are stacked against you. If it aint the lesson plans, students, it's administration, politics, the district, the school....so many things that are overwhelming, and sometimes it feels like the year will never end. Seriously, breaking down at some point will happen, It's a matter of how you respond to it.

7. This is my biggest piece of advice...either give your students all, or dont bother. If you are going to be the teacher who suspends kids at any given chance, leaves the school at 3:30, and could care less if students fail or pass your class, pick a different career. Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too many teachers like that, and we dont need more. If you are willing to put in the work with kids and give your all, by all means become a teacher. 

8. Never stop believing in kids. This is hard because it's so easy to give up on anyone, but keep the faith, Believe that one day they will "get it", and do better for themselves. It's easy to cater to the book nerds, the ones who give you no problems and do the work on the time, but you got to spend time with the ones who are on the verge of giving up. High risk/high reward..it's those kids who need constant positive reinforcements, and reminders of what they are capable of.

If you got specific questions, just ask

I teach high school--taught for 2 years in DC and now I'm in Philly.... couldn't ask for a better job-- no joke.
How I do:

-treat my students as equals

-make learning relevant, meaningful

-honesty/transparency is a must

-consistency

limited problems--lots of fun.  mad challenging and demanding--not for everyone.

I teach high school--taught for 2 years in DC and now I'm in Philly.... couldn't ask for a better job-- no joke.
How I do:

-treat my students as equals

-make learning relevant, meaningful

-honesty/transparency is a must

-consistency

limited problems--lots of fun.  mad challenging and demanding--not for everyone.

Originally Posted by Pretty 80s Baby

PMing you right now...

Exactly that's what I want to do.

Originally Posted by Gucci Mane

son, you DONT WANT to be a high school teacher

Why? I've looked at a lot of other careers and based on what I want to do with my life becoming a teacher seems to fit.

Originally Posted by Pretty 80s Baby

PMing you right now...

Exactly that's what I want to do.

Originally Posted by Gucci Mane

son, you DONT WANT to be a high school teacher

Why? I've looked at a lot of other careers and based on what I want to do with my life becoming a teacher seems to fit.

College Professor....... Hardest to get into..... But easily the most rewarding.. Higher starting salary (at my school $36K and that is just as a lecturer meaning no tenure and just a master).... Higher potential salary ($130K)... More time off and a much more flexible schedule...

College Professor....... Hardest to get into..... But easily the most rewarding.. Higher starting salary (at my school $36K and that is just as a lecturer meaning no tenure and just a master).... Higher potential salary ($130K)... More time off and a much more flexible schedule...

Depends on what you want to teach but for college, you need a PhD at the very least. In th sciences, meaningful research experience is a prerequisite. Not sure how it works in the humanities etc...but at most prestigious institutions all the professors/lecturers hold PhD degrees.

Depends on what you want to teach but for college, you need a PhD at the very least. In th sciences, meaningful research experience is a prerequisite. Not sure how it works in the humanities etc...but at most prestigious institutions all the professors/lecturers hold PhD degrees.

Good choice fam.

I am a college student working part time as a college counselor at a middle school. Based on my experience, make sure to stress the importance of a education and that it is available for everyone, from the art and movie to school to the basic colleges. I work at a low income school and most of my students take school as a joke and I work hard to stress education, but their teachers aren't helping me out. Once i had a student telling me that she would drop out of school early and just chill at home, and when i told one of the teachers about this conversation he was like thats how the are. I wish teachers can teach the importance of an education. It might sound simple, but it is complicated education system.

Hope that helps and good luck in the future.

Good choice fam.

I am a college student working part time as a college counselor at a middle school. Based on my experience, make sure to stress the importance of a education and that it is available for everyone, from the art and movie to school to the basic colleges. I work at a low income school and most of my students take school as a joke and I work hard to stress education, but their teachers aren't helping me out. Once i had a student telling me that she would drop out of school early and just chill at home, and when i told one of the teachers about this conversation he was like thats how the are. I wish teachers can teach the importance of an education. It might sound simple, but it is complicated education system.

Hope that helps and good luck in the future.

I'm about to be a high school senior and I've really been thinking about doing Teach For America... 
I am a journalism major/English minor and I don't really like the path I'm going down. I don't care about writing articles, it's just what I'm good at. Coaching kids in middle school basketball has been an amazing experience for me as a part-time job, and I realized a long time ago that I wanted to do something that made a difference.

The only problem is that I would be going to an inner-city, underfunded school that would definitely test my patience, to put it lightly. I am afraid that I am not made of the stuff required for a teacher... I'm afraid I would lose my temper.

Can any teachers talk about maybe some stories about their students succeeding?

I'm about to be a high school senior and I've really been thinking about doing Teach For America... 
I am a journalism major/English minor and I don't really like the path I'm going down. I don't care about writing articles, it's just what I'm good at. Coaching kids in middle school basketball has been an amazing experience for me as a part-time job, and I realized a long time ago that I wanted to do something that made a difference.

The only problem is that I would be going to an inner-city, underfunded school that would definitely test my patience, to put it lightly. I am afraid that I am not made of the stuff required for a teacher... I'm afraid I would lose my temper.

Can any teachers talk about maybe some stories about their students succeeding?

I'm an Elementary Art Teacher in Texas. Salary for my rookie year (09-10) was 44k.

I took it as a last resort because I wanted High School or Middle School, but after a year of it, I can't think of wanting to teach any higher levels. I love what I do.

I'm an Elementary Art Teacher in Texas. Salary for my rookie year (09-10) was 44k.

I took it as a last resort because I wanted High School or Middle School, but after a year of it, I can't think of wanting to teach any higher levels. I love what I do.

I plan on teaching elementary school.

I still got a year of subject/cap stone classes then another year of student teaching/methods classes.

I plan on teaching elementary school.

I still got a year of subject/cap stone classes then another year of student teaching/methods classes.

Back
Top Bottom