Any UMD students on NT?

I'm really interested in going to the University of Maryland so...

What was your GPA, SAT Scores, extra curricular activities, and so on during your years of high school that eventually helped u get into UMD?

My GPA in high school was a 3.7 my SAT 1350 and when I applied to Maryland I listed as many extra curricular as I could even though the only ones I actually participated were sports. I was part of clubs but never went to meetings. I followed advice given by a friend who had applied a year before me(UMD doesn't really check to make sure you were an active part of anything it just looks good on the app.). If you can get some good references from teachers, counselors, etc. then that would be really good. When you apply be sure to turn in a good essay but don't try too hard and end up OD it because I think that what they look for is an honest answer that at the same time highlights some of your intellectual abilities without the need to make a Biography. I chose Maryland for many reasons but it is not as diverse as I thought it would be. From what I see this is a problem in most Univ. in the US I feel as if so much of the social aspect of this school is SOOOOOO segregated even though I try and do a little of everything. But If you are more interested in the studying portion of school I do think its a great school and can challenge you intellectually.

Good luck in your academic endeavors hope this serves a purpose. Just get at me if you need any more info.

PS- Choose your school very wisely and don't let the tour guides blind you with all the extra BS. Its important because if you figure out during the middle of freshman year that you made a mistake and want to transfer, you might find it difficult to adjust in your new school your sophomore year since most friendships (clicks) are made freshman year.

Quote:
From what I see this is a problem in most Univ. in the US I feel as if so much of the social aspect of this school is SOOOOOO segregated even though I try and do a little of everything.
TEAM NTWikia

I got in on academic probation because I graduated with a 2.4 and 2.7 weighted but my sat was a 1640 which I think was alright considering I only took it once and I never really cared about the practice. I decided not to go because it would only make my schooling longer and more expensive. SO I go to Montgomery College which pretty much gaurantees me a transfer into UMD. Im only getting basic credits so I'll transfer in a year instead of 2. By the way I have legacy so dont expect to get in with my scores or grades.
Dream Like You'll Live Forever, But Live Like You'll Die Tomorrow!

DOWNTOWN- I mean that I feel as if most of the social scene at the Univ is geared to cater to the whites population, IMO there is not enough school interaction with the African-American community and the Latino community. Outside of school its the same thing you don't see enough interaction between students of different races. I mean this is just MO and I'm not saying that there is segregation like there used to be in one point in history but I guess it was just a big slap in the face to me when I started school here. HS was different, I went to a high school where there was a plethora of races and everyone didn't necessarily get along with each other but the relations between races didn't seem so fractured.

Anleu- Legacy doesn't matter at UMD and did you get that score on the new SAT or the old SAT Anleu? And by meeting people my freshman year that got in the same year I did I was surprised how low UMD standards are for a lot of in-state students. I'm out of the state BTW. Kids getting in with a 2.8 and a 1250. But then again most of those kids I knew that were in that situation ended up on academic probation and a good amount don't attend UMD anymore.

gxFlip- what year do you graduate?

just my $0.02

HS G.P.A. = 3.4
SAT (before change) = 1250

extra-curriculars = basketball, newspaper editor, cross-country team, FBLA.

Nothing special.

In my opinion, if everything else is kinda borderline as far admission criteria...MAKE SURE THE ESSAY IS STRONG. You don't have to necessarily have a sob story, but it works.
Team DC/MD/VA
I know you like "F#$@! this is child abuse!"​
O.G. Member #28 "Champ"​

my little brother got in with

HS gpa: 3.6
SAT. 1800 i think

me
HS gpa: 3:7
SAT: 1300 (before change)
Another one bites the dust!

My GPA is a 3.25 throughout high school. I took the SAT on October and got a 1605...

:wow:
embarassed.gif

There's this Maryland Transfer Program at PGCC that i heard about. Its like you take the general education classes that you'll take your first year or two and they can transfer your credits when u transfer to MD...Im not so sure, anybody have info? Because if im not accepted, i may be leaning over to this path...

I had a 3.7 and a 1160(04)....and I transferred in from Va Tech with a 2.6 after one year so I think they still took my high school stuff into account....being black helps...yay affirmative action j/k...school is pretty wack to me though...everytime i visit one of my friends at HBCU they having so much more fun than me on a daily basis

I got in with a 3..3 but weighted it was 3.7, and an 1180 sat score on he old one and 1740 on the new one. they look for more than grades though, and when you write your essay you do want to make it about you, because that is the only way you can introduce yourself to the admissions board. also eveynody i know that goes to hbcus is always up here and said that they dont have fun like that
center]TEAM
B A L T I M O R E
WEST B-MORE WHERE THE FLY GUYS RESIDE

My HS GPA was no higher than a 3.3 and I took the new SAT. Without the essay section I had a 1060 (forgot my overall score). I pretty much poured my heart out on the essay and well, here I am. People call me crazy all the time when I tell them this was the only school I applied to.. :wow:
embarassed.gif
Quote:
everytime i visit one of my friends at HBCU they having so much more fun than me on a daily basis

Truth.. |I
tired.gif
Team PokerStars
"Duece, Seven... I'm ALL-IN"
"I'VE NEVER WORKED A DAY IN MY LIFE"​
John Madden​

Quote:
There's this Maryland Transfer Program at PGCC that i heard about. Its like you take the general education classes that you'll take your first year or two and they can transfer your credits when u transfer to MD...Im not so sure, anybody have info? Because if im not accepted, i may be leaning over to this path

Go to Montgomery College instead. Its a much better school. Since Montgomery County is a wealthy county we have a bigger endowment which means we can afford more stuff. Besides they transfer more students to Maryland than all the other community colleges in the state put together.
Dream Like You'll Live Forever, But Live Like You'll Die Tomorrow!

Quote:
Truth.. |I
tired.gif
. I heard up at Howard and Bowie, people just be chillin everywhere at all hours. Here.. there is nothin to do unless you a bar hopper, got people in the View or Courtyards, a Stamp Party goin on, or Love on Thurs.. its the same every weekend

I think this is one of the few advantages to being a commuter. I can always party with my friends at UMD and my friends in Rockville.

HS GPA: 3.42 (unweighted) 4.2 (weighted)
SAT: 1410 (w/o writing) 2070 (w/ writing)
ECs: cross country, wrestling, lacrosse, couple clubs but theyre not too important
my essays and recs where that great

check out the college confidential forums for more info. its really useful but dont be intimidated by the scores those people worry about getting into school with. they usually just put em up to show off. youll see.

marylands really stingy with $. they dont give it out.

and i disagree that maryland is not a diverse place. as an institution, they can only do so little to ensure diversity-that is to admit a diverse class. the rest of the socializing and polarity is determined by the students themselves. so in other words, they cant force different people to be friends, they can only allow different people in the doors.
Get a free dvd-recorder

But How many "different people" are they letting "in the doors". Obviously they can not force people to interact but do they really do their job in trying to even out the field when it comes to activities for different ethnic groups? Or are they simply "trying"? How much are they really in touch with their "minority" student body? And that is what I'm saying. Prime example, what happened with the noose situation? Where was UMD when their "minority" students needed them? They are more worried about sweeping that kind of situation under the mat as quick as possible. They don't want that negative attention that comes with it. If the roles were reversed would they care more? I think so because at the end of the day what race is bringing in more money for the school?

Maybe it's just me but was that situation supposed to be taken lightly? I mean come on if the school doesn't act quickly when things like that happen they are sending so many wrong messages. Look and don't take me the wrong way I am not expecting any type of utopia at UMD or anywhere for that matter, all I'm saying is that college has opened my eyes and removed the protective film that I had on them for 17 years of my life.

Before I forget- Obviously I do not expect there to be an even number of people from each race at UMD thats not where I was going with this. I just feel that if UMD tried a little harder they could attract more minorities to apply and once here have a better college experience (at the end of the day minorities are paying just as much as the other). But UMD's actions in the 2 years Ive been here have shown me why some minorities might not even be interested in UMD or once here realize that its a lot differnt then expected. I'm simply expressing my POV, and I'm talking about UMD interaction with their minority students through events (not parties) why don't they bring, guest speakers really targeted to the minority community, minority political figures were so close to DC, etc. So they can bring in Ron Jeremy but not someone like Carlos Slim?

Chew on this for a little bit. Then tell me that they "let us in".

Quote:
I just feel that if UMD tried a little harder they could attract more minorities
Team PokerStars
"Duece, Seven... I'm ALL-IN"
"I'VE NEVER WORKED A DAY IN MY LIFE"​
John Madden​

LOL @ people saying Maryland isnt diverse.

Guess what? Get used to be the main minority, an accounting class at Mayrland is more likely to better represent your work environment at least in the business world than the same class at say Howard. It's the real world. If I get a job with Morgan Stanley in NYC I'm not expecting for their to be a lot of blacks. Truth is the number of truly qualified black/minority candidates is few and far inbetween.

Get out and go do something, Go to Bentley's, Ctone, get laid by a white girl, get to know some frat kids. Become proactive in different non ethnic based campus organizations, then come back and tell me MD isnt diverse.

Maryland is one of the most diverse state universities out there. Lack of black people doesnt mean lack of diversity. You have Asians, Indians, Africans,etc.

Maryland has graduated I think more black students than any other top 50 school over the past few years.

The lack of integration at Maryland IMHO is mainly minorities self segregating themselves. A lot of them come in with negative attitudes about whites, and hence you create self segregation. I honestly think the best thing that ever happened to me was rooming with 3 white dudes my freshman year of college. The connections, and friends I made are invaluable. I got a chance to interview for a job with bulge bracket Ibank because of those connections. Regardless of whether I get the job or not, its good to know I know poeple in high places.
20% off your first purchase at karmaloop.com

They got Stussy, LRG, Triple 5 Soul and other nice brands
http://www.karmaloop.com/index.asp?rcode=JN7353

My Human Torch Air Max 95

^^^lol thats funny as hell i always thought that way about umd too

i graduated from there this past may

in high school i had about a 3.5 and 1150

it also helps if u went to a good school to or u did really well in a poor school

but race does help to get u into a school cuz i kno they raised the requirements to get in now

Back
Top Bottom