Anybody Ever Do This? Vol: Gift Cards

When you're about to make a big purchase, say buying a $1,000 TV...go on eBay and snag up a couple $500 Best Buy gift cards for like $450ish...boom, 10% off...takes a little effort, but it's pretty easy imo.

If I didn't make so many spur of the moment purchses, I'd be doing this
laugh.gif

No. There are plenty of ways to get deals online. Plus doing that handcuffs you into buying Best Buy merchandise. If you return it, you're getting another giftcard.

How can you get a discounted gift card? Are they transferable from the person who has store credit to anyone else?

I do on craigslist all the time. especially with LV stuff since they never go on sale. Best one I ever got was a $500 GC for $200 for LV. I did get scammed one time on a gift card. Basically what they do is put a security lock on the card and only the person who's name is on the card can use it. When I met up with the lady I called checked make sure the card was legit and had money on it. Following week went to go use it at bloomingdales and all the funds were put onto another card. I talked to customer service and they told me it happened a few times the past month and it was all under the same ladies name. Oh well it was a $450 lesson, but I'm way more careful now with gift cards.

You might as well just buy it on Amazon since their product is probably 10% lower anyway.

I don't but when I see some gift cards going on sale at B/S forums, it is very tempting but then I think to myself that is like forcing myself to purchase from the store so I pass it up most of the time. But then I'll probably just do some impulse shopping anyways.
laugh.gif

On big electronic purchases though, I prefer to take advantage of Best Buys no interest offers, some go as far as 3 years w/o interest.

I did it before Christmas when I was buying a TV.  Around here, Kroger was having a sale on certain stores' giftcards, $100 cards for $90.  Bought several BestBuy gc's, and went straight to BestBuy to get the tv.  Saved me like $70 bucks instantly.

Plus, they were doing tv/360 bundles with games.  Flipped the 360 and games on craigslist, so my 42" plasma ended up costing me right at $300
pimp.gif
.  Wouldn't wanna go through the hassle every day, but for occasional big purchases I think it's worth it.

As for eBay, you run a pretty high risk of getting scammed.  Maybe if they've got tons of positive feedback or something.

Originally Posted by BgL2687

I do on craigslist all the time. especially with LV stuff since they never go on sale. Best one I ever got was a $500 GC for $200 for LV. I did get scammed one time on a gift card. Basically what they do is put a security lock on the card and only the person who's name is on the card can use it. When I met up with the lady I called checked make sure the card was legit and had money on it. Following week went to go use it at bloomingdales and all the funds were put onto another card. I talked to customer service and they told me it happened a few times the past month and it was all under the same ladies name. Oh well it was a $450 lesson, but I'm way more careful now with gift cards.

I've never bought gift cards but hear of people doing this scam like on craigslist. What they do is sell you the giftcard and when they give it to you, you can call to make sure there is money on the card (which there will be) but they have the giftcard number and as soon as the meetup is complete, they take that number and purchase something online with it meaning when you go to the store to use it, the balance will be used up. Just be careful.

Originally Posted by TJ Detweiler

I've never bought gift cards but hear of people doing this scam like on craigslist. What they do is sell you the giftcard and when they give it to you, you can call to make sure there is money on the card (which there will be) but they have the giftcard number and as soon as the meetup is complete, they take that number and purchase something online with it meaning when you go to the store to use it, the balance will be used up. Just be careful.

thats exactly what happened to me..The lady ended up getting caught because she pulled the same scam at saks over and over again. I'm suppose to be getting my money back because she needs to pay restitution, but it's been over a year now and haven't heard anything. Now when I buy gift cards I meet up with the person at the store, make them purchase the item for me and exchange item for cash.

Even if it checks out on the phone and there isn't a lock on it, can't you call and everything be legit, and once you pay and leave, they buy something online? They don't physically need the card, just all the info from the back of the card.

Originally Posted by majik214

Gift cards from Ebay are legit?
I've sold a good amount of gift cards on ebay. Had some good luck with buyers who pay more for the giftcard than it is worth.

Originally Posted by select127

Originally Posted by majik214

Gift cards from Ebay are legit?
I've sold a good amount of gift cards on ebay. Had some good luck with buyers who pay more for the giftcard than it is worth.

Back
Top Bottom