anybody ever teach english in a foreign country?

whats up nt?

i was wondering if anybody ever after college taught english in a foreign country? seems like a good experience right after college to teach, and learn about the culture of a froeign country and meet some cool people.

what country did you teach in if you did it?
how was the experience?
where did you go about finding the job?
how was the pay? im sure pretty awful, but just wondering.

thanks in advance.

I have a family friend who went to South America (cannot recall the country) to teach English during a summer off from school.

She absolutely loved it.

She got it through her university (Harvard).

Not sure on the pay, I think they covered your travel and living expenses.

Probably more easily done through respective universities, I would think.

Lol...ahahhhaa wow what an ironic post. I JUST moved to South Korea and will be starting class on Tuesday (teaching English). I am at an orientation with 400 other people...it is like dorms again. No more else to say.

Originally Posted by Scarface2k1

whats up nt?

i was wondering if anybody ever after college taught english in a foreign country? seems like a good experience right after college to teach, and learn about the culture of a froeign country and meet some cool people.

what country did you teach in if you did it?
how was the experience?
where did you go about finding the job?
how was the pay? im sure pretty awful, but just wondering.

thanks in advance.

http://www.eslcafe.com/

my friend is doing it now actually ( well in process) hes going to korea to teach english. Koreans pay tonssss for their children to learn english.

The english Barrier would be awful.

What kind of degrees would be needed to do this?
I would love to go Colombia to teach English.

i guess a career in finance is on hold.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Sundizzle

Lol...ahahhhaa wow what an ironic post. I JUST moved to South Korea and will be starting class on Tuesday (teaching English). I am at an orientation with 400 other people...it is like dorms again. No more else to say.

My boy has been in Seoul for about 2 years, doesn't LOVE it, but doesn't hate it. There are a lot of foreigners and he seems to find plenty of things to do. Pay isn't really great, but he's told me the company pays for a place for a year, and your flight so it can't be too bad.

Originally Posted by Diego

What kind of degrees would be needed to do this?
I would love to go Colombia to teach English.
Colombian women are the business
devil.gif

still looking for jobs in finance but gotta have some kind of back up plan.
if i am going to be broke, i might as well go learn some things in a foreign country and be happy when i am young lol.
thanks for all the input.

seems neat...would love to travel abroad and teach while being in a foreign land...gotta look into this
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Sundizzle

A friend of mine is a recruiter for TOPIA http://www.topiaenglishzone.com/ .  If anyone is seriously interested in this (going to Seoul, S. Korea) hit me up on a PM.

FYI - it is fairly competitive at this company, so if you did not graduate from a higher level 4 year university (not necesarily IVY League, but not some BS bottom rung state school) then they probably will not hire you.

anyone know anything about italy or more european countries?
i dont know if i would want to go to asia.

im an economics major from northeastern university in boston btw.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Yes, I teach the English language to Georgians everyday.
How is it? After the Russia incident I'd be scared to go. Oh wait that wasn't a lame joke was it?

laugh.gif
I kid.

Teaching English in Korea is my fallback job if I don't get hired for anything good in the U.S. I'm pretty much guaranteed a job but I dunno if I want to move to Asia.

In about a week I am going to start. I am in the Dominican Republic right now the pay sucks its like 4 dollars an hour big difference from what I was making
but seems like a good way to meet people.

In about a week I am going to start. I am in the Dominican Republic right now the pay sucks its like 4 dollars an hour big difference from what I was making

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Yes, I teach the English language to Georgians everyday.
How is it? After the Russia incident I'd be scared to go. Oh wait that wasn't a lame joke was it?

laugh.gif
I kid.

I'm not certain of whether or not you saw what I did there?

Three pieces of advice.

1) TESOL Certification (especially with a prominent program/university: (ie: Cambridge). You can't just get by with a BA degree anymore (unless you did really well in an English Major and acquired an MBA in English or anything remotely related to writing and expanding on your skills of the english language. Just be prepared to pay the price for it.

2) Move to the country or place you wish to stay at. Sounds extreme but after talking to a lot of those who did it (I was considering it heavily earlier in the year). Much of the competition is a leg up on you for already having local access to schools who need English Teaching Assistants or Instructors immediately. Therefore, popular places at the moment (ie: Asia: Korea or Japan) already have an influx of folks applying (myself and many of my post undergraduate alumni friends) who are hard up in the US Job Economy.

3) Determination. Apply...apply...apply. Need I say more? Probably submitted over 50 applications until I was considered for a spot. Keep in mind once you're hired chances are you need at least your minimum expenses of 2-3 months plus plane ticket (round trip in case of any disqualification upon hiring) which would amount to several thousand. Depending where you plan on teaching.

Good Luck.

I teach English in Japan. If you do plan on doing it, TESOL is great but often not needed. Of course, a lot is changing now, but a college degree still gets you through the door.
Knowing the native language is a big plus, esp. in an Asian country. its fun, just try not to get stuck with it.

Back
Top Bottom