Anybody see a therapist?

How many of you guys feel like therapy is looked down upon by the minority community? And makes you not even want to say that you're attending sessions?

I just heard someone say the same ole....
"You can pay me to talk to me... Not some stranger"
I just had a session and it was excellent to just vent

I'm so untrusting, and don't feel like talking is my issue so i've never been, but thought about it.

How many of you guys feel like therapy is looked down upon by the minority community? And makes you not even want to say that you're attending sessions?

I just heard someone say the same ole....
"You can pay me to talk to me... Not some stranger"
I just had a session and it was excellent to just vent

I'm glad your sesh went well. Taking that initiative will convince someone close to you that needs help to seek it and that will slowly break the stigma within our community.

sometimes you can't talk about your own personal struggles with your friends because they already have a bias towards you. So all they gonna do is yes you to death, coddle you and tell you what you wanna hear.

I saw one a few years after my mother passed away back in 2016.

Would encourage anyone to go see someone.

it's also good to see a therapist because they can give you a different prospective you're not gonna get from your friend, family member or wife/gf

This 100%. Whenever I get overwhelmed and mind gets cloudy it always helps. I'm diagnosed with OCD and it helps so much to have someone help make sense of things I have no answers for.

let me preface this by saying, life is hard man ... harder than anyone ever imagined, from our childhood issues that affect our present relationship dynamics, to our outlook on things as we grow older. i'm currently searching for a therapist myself, during the year of covid, right before everything shut down i suffered a breakup that shook my core, it took me for a loop, shattered my world & i'm not afraid to say it. it left me with questions, wondering if i was good enough, worthy enough, well enough to sustain & ready to end everything. by the time i was ready to see a therapist for my issues (thanks to an ex who happens to be a therapist & a good friend now) everything had shut down, i was forced to dig deep & attempt to remedy issues myself. i began asking what my role was in the breakup, why i couldn't do certain things asked of me in the relationship & it made me dig deeper & deal with my childhood issues. i began shadow work, developing new positive coping mechanism, learning to become responsive rather than reactionary... i began learning the things that had never been taught to me. without going further i think everyone should see a therapist, particularly within the black community, mental health is so frowned upon & looked down upon, & it's never a walk in a park, healing isn't linear, it's day to day, sometimes hour to hour, but it is worth it. the calm, the emotional availability, learning why people behave certain ways without taking it personal ... it's a journey, not a destination.

Seen a therapist for a few months a few years after I got out the military. Was having trouble with my lady at the time and felt like I wasn't my self. That helped a bit.

Back
Top Bottom