Anyone catch the new semi-rasist (imo) KFC commercial?

Have yall' seen the new KFC commerical?
Everybody, black or white, male and female are dressed casually, while talking
about their favorite type of KFC chicken...once the asian males are brought into
the picture, they are dressed as Japanese cooks, speaking with
heavy accents. So this is what they consider the image for the Asian
man huh? Not unexpected. IF they were asian females, they'd be dressed casually,
giggly, not accented, and chinky.
indifferent.gif

Discuss.

Heh.

I saw it. Its just a blatant attempt to "diversify" a commercial, and not just have white people in it. But it had underlying/unintentional racistqualities. Sometimes I wish I could sit in and listen to the planning of commercials like these. It would be interesting to know how some people think.

I think McDonalds has THE MOST racist commercials by far. Just pay attention to all the recession, "look at how much stuff you can get for only adollar" commercials, and count the number of black and hispanic actors in these commercials as opposed to whites. U tryna say we can only afford a dollar?

And why is it that there are no multicultural families in commercials or on tv? Its always same race couples.

Rant!

My bad I am multicultural, and Im a marketing major so I pay close attention to commmercials and advertisements, and how they portray race and ethnicity.

^^^
True...I just wished they would think about how it would come off as, before they try something...like
the only way to portrait asians, is to use samurai looking dudes speaking 'Engrish'.

It amazes me how people in high positions may not realize how hurtful, or wrong images like that could be.

KennyThe Great: Sometimes its because of these peoples lack of interaction with people of other races and ethnicities that makes them not realize that thereare other ways to portray asians than with samurai swords. I wish I knew the number of people who have only interacted with people of one race their wholelives. Its crazy! SMH at parents who allow this to happen. I'm glad I grew up where I did, it has opened my eyes to a lot in terms of culture andethnicity.

i didnt think it was racist. but i thought it was very stereotypical the way the asians were portrayed i mean cmon KFC its 2009!

Originally Posted by urmaynzlame

i didnt think it was racist. but i thought it was very stereotypical the way the asians were portrayed i mean cmon KFC its 2009!
isn't that what racism is though?

what about this wendy's commercial? they make the asian guy look silly lol...like what's the point of putting him in there? Do asians feel offended bythis?

I thought i was the only one...it was really racist imo.

KFC out of all people...i mean seriously, everyone in that commercial was all dressed casual, and out comes two goofy asian guys dressed up like they weregonna roll some sushi.

Originally Posted by pr0phecy718

what about this wendy's commercial? they make the asian guy look silly lol...like what's the point of putting him in there? Do asians feel offended by this?

I'm Asian and I think those are funny.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom