Anyone Collect Sports Cards?

Nothing like a Nike account.

Most card shops and larger breakers who have a wholesale account go through Panini distributing who basically dictate the price. Many of them are able to keep costs down by doing pre-orders with the distributors. Once a product releases that is why a lot of people can’t get more of the hotter products as the distributors will be offering them at much higher price.

They do not force you to buy anything, but obviously a distributor is going to take care of the people who spend more. If someone was to open a new shop don’t expect to get more than a case of anything and you wont be getting any NT, Flawless or anything that is crazy high demand.

Last edited:
Ultimately it's on the individual to buy or not, but I know a lot of people are either new to the hobby or coming back and I'm just trying to educate them. A lot of people don't really understand what they are getting in retail if they came into the hobby in the past year.

resellers are going to buy up contenders thinking it’s a good product. I hope they have to sit on it long until they take a loss.

2019 prizm retail box (only seen at hobby stores pretty much) going rate about $1700

2019 Prizm hobby box for $4500

Id take my chances with retail stuff. Those boxes have been equally bad (yes I know you have the potential to hit the better “hits”).

that’s the good retail though. Prizm, mosaic etc. think he was talking contenders which is easily worse of the line.
Would I buy a few to rip? Sure. Don’t think it will be available though cause the flippers are just going to buy it all up because it’s out there. Hope I’m wrong lol

A friend of mine runs a resell shop (clothes, shoes, thrifted stuff) in the San Fran area. He built out a corner of his shop to be for cards to try and get an account and panini basically said they’re not expanding to any new accounts for the foreseeable future. This was in septemberish. The person he spoke with gave him the rundown and you need like $15k of product purchases up front and the newer accounts basically get leftovers.

The bigger breakers all go through distributors and a few of them do have actual shops.

A lot of the newer people breaking now are just buying from online retailers and just charging customers sometimes 100% more than the bigger breakers who make money by ripping huge quantities. The bigger breakers can buy massive amounts so the distributors are making sure they get the allocations they want while LCS get the scraps.

Anyone follow the goldin auctions? Lebron up now. I’m happy just seeing these exist.
Yet then I see some ungraded limited cards sell for $30-$60 on eBay. I’m glad I’m not money invested. It just doesn’t make sense to me. A Joe burrow jersey card goes for $20? It looks as pristine and nice as something for $10 grand.

that’s the good retail though. Prizm, mosaic etc. think he was talking contenders which is easily worse of the line.
Would I buy a few to rip? Sure. Don’t think it will be available though cause the flippers are just going to buy it all up because it’s out there. Hope I’m wrong lol

That was the point I was trying to make. Yes Prizm is a good value rip at retail price, but people seem to be falling for the traps set thinking that all retail must be good.

I opened 20 Prizm retail basketball boxes with a buddy who usually buys cases to rip for himself last year. People are now charging over $1k a box for a case he spent $1,000 on. Best cards pulled in 20 boxes? 1 Zion variation, 1 Zion base and a silver Bazley and Silver Chuma. Imagine spending $25k for that.

I have no problem with anyone spending the $50k, but I saw a father and son walk into my LCS a few months back and asked about Prizm and the scandalous owner pushed them towards some overpriced retail since it was cheaper. He conveniently left out the fact that the odds in retail are awful and all those huge sales people talk about are impossible in that format.

Last edited:
PXL_20210117_024311946.jpg

A friend of mine runs a resell shop (clothes, shoes, thrifted stuff) in the San Fran area. He built out a corner of his shop to be for cards to try and get an account and panini basically said they’re not expanding to any new accounts for the foreseeable future. This was in septemberish. The person he spoke with gave him the rundown and you need like $15k of product purchases up front and the newer accounts basically get leftovers.

Interesting - but sounds like this goes against Panini’s policy that 70% of revenue must come from card sales.

For what it is worth, you cannot find cards in my area. Have never seen a basketball card on a store shelf and the only thing that sits are the same Topps baseball product that every Target has. There is one local card shop about 25 minutes away, but they have zero marketing or social media presence and seem to push mainly baseball. Not even sure if they get new basketball and football. Seems like there is definitely an opportunity in this area.

That was the point I was trying to make. Yes Prizm is a good value rip at retail price, but people seem to be falling for the traps set thinking that all retail must be good.

I opened 20 Prizm retail basketball boxes with a buddy who usually buys cases to rip for himself last year. People are now charging over $1k a box for a case he spent $1,000 on. Best cards pulled in 20 boxes? 1 Zion variation, 1 Zion base and a silver Bazley and Silver Chuma. Imagine spending $25k for that.

And that was the point I was trying to make. Anybody opening retail, has to know off rip... they are gambling and hopefully they are spending money that they can afford to lose.

Even though I have a collection and I enjoy all aspects of the hobby (because I'm a die hard sports fan, first and foremost).. I wouldn't move differently just because I'm having fun with something. I work for myself and have 5 kids so I still try to make decisions that best benefit my fam.

Because of that I'm sitting on that prizm, minimizing my risk, and getting my fix from buying the singles I would be rippin the packs hoping to find in the first place! No right or wrong way to do it, just providing my perspective

Is anyone else following the insanity that is soccer cards right now? Just sent these 4 in express to PSA:

1610909756337.png

Reactions: g14
Interesting - but sounds like this goes against Panini’s policy that 70% of revenue must come from card sales.

For what it is worth, you cannot find cards in my area. Have never seen a basketball card on a store shelf and the only thing that sits are the same Topps baseball product that every Target has. There is one local card shop about 25 minutes away, but they have zero marketing or social media presence and seem to push mainly baseball. Not even sure if they get new basketball and football. Seems like there is definitely an opportunity in this area.

Possibly, it sounded half baked on his end so I’m surprised he even got in contact with anybody. He did say he told them he was planning on doing card breaks with a percentage of inventory if he got it and they didn’t care, they view it as free marketing/publicity I guess.

i promise, u guys get me into a good/legit bot and i will put you guys in a spot and if i score, i won't charge you anything but shipping.

looking to spend around 2k for a legit bot

Is anyone else following the insanity that is soccer cards right now? Just sent these 4 in express to PSA:

1610909756337.png

Starting to. But I haven't seen any near me.

Few years back when I was in between jobs, I worked at Target for the Summer. Some fancy looking dude with a smoke GF came in and bought the entire stock we had of the World Cup stuff. he was telling me how he is flipping it like crazy overseas. Think they were the stickers?

What's the good Soccer stuff right now?!

i promise, u guys get me into a good/legit bot and i will put you guys in a spot and if i score, i won't charge you anything but shipping.

looking to spend around 2k for a legit bot

I know nothing about bots lol..
but can we put our bread together for a super-bot or something?

NTbot, bihhh - run em prizms

Back
Top Bottom