Anyone Collect Sports Cards?

I was big into collecting during the 90's and I think the last year I collected was when Tim Duncan was a rookie. I have bunch of cards from all the superstars from that era. I was thinking about buying a Beckett (Do they still publish these?) and cataloging my collection for selling purposes. Nothing beat the thrill as a kid of carefully opening a pack and pulling your favorite player or a cool insert. The downfall for me was when they started selling $20 packs with like 5 cards.

Originally Posted by striderboi

Originally Posted by xxhu5sl1npnoyxx

I collect basketball cards. There was a time where cards pre-2001 weren't worth very much because the focus was on jersey patch and autographed insert cards. But over the past year, the rarer insert cards, specifically players like Jordan, Penny, Grant Hill, and older Kobe inserts have seen hikes in prices. A large reason for this is the over saturation of autographs and jersey patch cards over-saturating the market.

Before if you pulled a Jordan autographed card, that was a easy $2000, now you can get one for $300 because there are just so many that are inserted into packs. So a lot of collectors started going back to collect cards and inserts they couldnt buy when they were kids. We are talking people paying $10,000+ for a 97-98 Fleer metal precious gems Michael Jordan card.

But this is solely in the basketball card hobby, I barely follow football cards, and I know in baseball anything Matt Kemp is really hot. About 2 months ago, during Linsanity, Jeremy Lin autographed cards were selling for $350+ on average. Before Linsanity, all it cost was $3 for a Jeremy Lin auto. One collector on another message board had literally 200+ Lin autos, dude prolly spent less than $500 on his collection and sold it and made over $80,000. Last year something similar happened with Blake Griffin, though his prices have settled.

The basketball card hobby is a gamble. It was crazy a couple years ago, carlos arroyo base cards were selling for like $10-15 a piece. Now you couldnt even sell a lot of 100 for $5. Someties you just luck up, I collect Andrew Bynum cards, I've been selling my collection since All Star break, his stuff isnt super hot, but its at least tripled in value.
You must be talking about this one
happy.gif

One like this just ended for 4k..

These will never be FT/FS as they been in my collection ever since I pulled/bought them

my dude with the heat, but where is the green precious gems or the autographed version of the game jersey though? just kidding, man let me tell you, i had the green kobe precious gems in 2002, traded it for a lebron spx rookie auto. regret it to this day.
tired.gif

Used to in the 90's.  Had a bunch of decent cards. Had some good jordan cards but was a heavy Larry Johnson fan and traded damn near half my jordan collection for them,smh.  Lost my card collection,starting lineups, and sports picks in storage when I couldn't pay the bill.

Originally Posted by pr0phecy718

back in the 90s
Ditto, along with comic books.
30t6p3b.gif
 Mom was right.

I got way caught up in Vinsanity. Though I never scored the higher end stuff (SPX & Topps Chrome rookies) but I've still got a *+@+-load of VC cards from when everyone thought he was going to be the next MJ.

i used to have 1000's and 1000's of baseball cards from the 70's and 80's and some from the 60's but not a lot

tops fleer donruss

from movies also
then i dumped them

but i got a book of some really good cards left wanna see what there worth

and i think a few sets

i also have some recent basketball cards from the early to mid 2000's

I collected in the 90s.....early 2000's.. I have some good finds though.. like 30 jordans... few kobe rookies....few iverson rookies....few barkleys....couple magic johnson cards... brett farve rookie.... etc etc. Cards took a huge hit tho.... i was lookin a few of them up and the price is way lower than i thought theyd be. jordan cards that used to be $20 are goin for $2 on amazon.com.. smh

Originally Posted by striderboi

I collect basketball cards. There was a time where cards pre-2001 weren't worth very much because the focus was on jersey patch and autographed insert cards. But over the past year, the rarer insert cards, specifically players like Jordan, Penny, Grant Hill, and older Kobe inserts have seen hikes in prices. A large reason for this is the over saturation of autographs and jersey patch cards over-saturating the market.

Before if you pulled a Jordan autographed card, that was a easy $2000, now you can get one for $300 because there are just so many that are inserted into packs. So a lot of collectors started going back to collect cards and inserts they couldnt buy when they were kids. We are talking people paying $10,000+ for a 97-98 Fleer metal precious gems Michael Jordan card.

But this is solely in the basketball card hobby, I barely follow football cards, and I know in baseball anything Matt Kemp is really hot. About 2 months ago, during Linsanity, Jeremy Lin autographed cards were selling for $350+ on average. Before Linsanity, all it cost was $3 for a Jeremy Lin auto. One collector on another message board had literally 200+ Lin autos, dude prolly spent less than $500 on his collection and sold it and made over $80,000. Last year something similar happened with Blake Griffin, though his prices have settled.

The basketball card hobby is a gamble. It was crazy a couple years ago, carlos arroyo base cards were selling for like $10-15 a piece. Now you couldnt even sell a lot of 100 for $5. Someties you just luck up, I collect Andrew Bynum cards, I've been selling my collection since All Star break, his stuff isnt super hot, but its at least tripled in value.
You must be talking about this one
happy.gif

One like this just ended for 4k..

These will never be FT/FS as they been in my collection ever since I pulled/bought them

my dude with the heat, but where is the green precious gems or the autographed version of the game jersey though? just kidding, man let me tell you, i had the green kobe precious gems in 2002, traded it for a lebron spx rookie auto. regret it to this day.
tired.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
..actually I'm trying to get the Auto version of the jersey...well the green PMG...I know where one is
wink.gif

Originally Posted by mdwst9

i have some decent cards is there a place i can turn them in for money?

Ebay is your best bet to maximize your $$$. If you go to a sports card show, they will pay you around 50-60% of ebay. Most of the dealers there are sharks, but whenever I set up, I show the customer what the card sells for on ebay, and I tell him I pay 65%, because after fee's i'll make around 10%..

I used to collect from '90-02. Probably 25,000 cards total. All basketball. Got some autographs and jersey cards etc. Once I went to college I just put everything away in rubbermaid storage boxes in a dark closet. I'll pull it out in a few years and take stock of what I have. Still looking to complete the 86'-87' Fleer set with Jordan Rookie. Counterfeiting of the most valuable cards really put a dent in the market.

Originally Posted by steven42lh

I used to collect from '90-02. Probably 25,000 cards total. All basketball. Got some autographs and jersey cards etc. Once I went to college I just put everything away in rubbermaid storage boxes in a dark closet. I'll pull it out in a few years and take stock of what I have. Still looking to complete the 86'-87' Fleer set with Jordan Rookie. Counterfeiting of the most valuable cards really put a dent in the market.
If you're looking for the Jordan RC, buy PSA/BGS/SGC Graded only. 

I actually still have some decent basketball cards around from the '80s-'10s

I got a crap load. all sports.  too expensive today to buy a lot.  basic cards are like 2-4 dollars  a pack
mean.gif

mostly baseball, but I have a good amount of basketball and football.   picked up some packs of 2013 topps platinum the other day. dude in the store let me handle the packs so it was easy to find the relic cards even without bending the packs.  heres some of what I got

Eddie Lacy rc  large patch # to 59

Trufant rc auto

Lattimore rc  auto patch  # to 1000

Michael  rc auto patch # to 125

mostly baseball, but I have a good amount of basketball and football.   picked up some packs of 2013 topps platinum the other day. dude in the store let me handle the packs so it was easy to find the relic cards even without bending the packs.  heres some of what I got

Eddie Lacy rc  large patch # to 59

Trufant rc auto

Lattimore rc  auto patch  # to 1000

Michael  rc auto patch # to 125
nice i was rummaging through about 4,000 baseball cars a guy GAVE to me and found a 91 fleer redemtion michel jordans card. 

As a kid I did. I was obsessed. Still got a lot of them. Haven't bought a pack since 2001 ish.

They really screwed themselves by making so many game used cards and autograph cards. They're not worth **** and are everywhere. You can buy signed and game used cards for $1 on eBay :smh:

As a kid I did. I was obsessed. Still got a lot of them. Haven't bought a pack since 2001 ish.

They really screwed themselves by making so many game used cards and autograph cards. They're not worth **** and are everywhere. You can buy signed and game used cards for $1 on eBay
mean.gif
so true but it makes kids happy when they see it but not collectors

They really screwed themselves by making so many game used cards and autograph cards. They're not worth **** and are everywhere. You can buy signed and game used cards for $1 on eBay
mean.gif
real talk.   dudes spending thousands of dollars of  cash on cases and ending up with a 300 dollar "case hit"
mean.gif

I just wait for those cards to hit ebay and I build my personal collection for cheap compared to buying boxes and just hoping for something

my Georgetown collection is highlighted by an AI gtown jersey card I got for 15 bucks and a mutombo auto I got for 5.  thank you ebay

Back
Top Bottom