Anyone do Healthcare IT? HIM, Bio/Health/Clinical Informatics? Check-in

Gill Baka Esq. LLC.

formerly grimlock
Hey. Just thinking about the vastness of the board and especially those in school for or already in the healthcare field dealing with technology as it's related to Healthcare. Looking to segue into it and just seeing if anyone else does this, especially medical/bioinformatics.

Holla!

Hey. Just thinking about the vastness of the board and especially those in school for or already in the healthcare field dealing with technology as it's related to Healthcare. Looking to segue into it and just seeing if anyone else does this, especially medical/bioinformatics.

Holla!
very good money you can make in that field

I thought about it a few yrs back and enrolled in University of San Diego online Masters program and ranked up like 16k in debt in like 2 semesters thst actually counted. There are tons of online MS programs, some more affordable than othrrs

I work as a health It Data Analyst. Not sure if I can help much but yes I’m in the field. It’s my first year after making a career change but it’s cool enough.

I own a consulting agency and over the past year, I've been focused on getting healthcare/ Life Sciences projects. I mainly deal with Salesforce as a CRM. I got experience with the following:
  • Using technology to run traditional clinical trials
  • Running Virtual Trials
  • Med Device Sales
  • Stakeholder Management for antimicrobial research
  • Specialty Pharmaceutical application management and patient engagement
  • Patient acquisition
  • A bunch of others...but you get the point
Integrations would include ERPs, Specialty forms, payment solutions, Business Intelligence solutions, survey tools, insurance tracing etc...

What questions do you have?

very good money you can make in that field

This is true, the one benefit from focusing on one industry to healthcare is that the healthcare space is quite behind in technology in general. There are multiple reasons why:
  • Very regulated industry
  • Adoption tends to be low from Drs and Nurses who are not tech-savvy
  • Sometimes it's not just software, it's a hardware play as well (such as heart monitoring devices)
  • The most important and overlooked aspect of why they are behind (in my humble opinion) is because of the people leading the space
    • The "thought leaders" are typically Drs and academics and do not have any practical experience with technology, they look at new tech as a thesis
    • The people who actually build the tech are focused on policy and compliance rather than User Experience so the tools built will be functional as per requirements, but ugly as hell and not intuitive
    • The decision-makers are typically nurses who, because of seniority and a strong union, end up taking managerial positions in hospitals even though they do not have any manegerial experience let alone technology experience
So yeah, coming in with a fresh set of eyes from other industries will be very helpful.

Dope!

I'm starting a Master's program in Medical Informatics this fall. I'm coming from a clinical background with very little IT experience. Any advice for the homie?

Dope!

I'm starting a Master's program in Medical Informatics this fall. I'm coming from a clinical background with very little IT experience. Any advice for the homie?

Nice! Congrats man.

My only advice for now is to dig into the systems yourself and not over rely on what school can teach you about technology. I was able to learn much more and much faster going at my pace.

Back
Top Bottom