Anyone else feel like 9-5 life isn't for them?

Originally Posted by DMoney82

I quit working in 2005. Don't know what an application looks like.

I'm not with it.

Winners make the rules, Losers live by em........

teach me your ways

pretty sure everyone would rather not work and get paid for it.

Its your actions that seperate you get yo hustle on.

Has this generation gone soft or something? Trying to differentiate the lazy from the passionate, I'm pretty sure most of you fall in the former. Kudos to those busting their balls out there fine tuning their talents barely getting by. But whether you're pursuing your dream or have a 9-5 job, work your @*%@@ off regardless. I mean damn, I get the feeling these young fellas want the most amount of pay for the least amount of work. Whatever happened to a honest day pay for an honest days work? Wise up, live ain't easy. Omitting 9-5 jobs ...you may be living in your parents basement for sometime now. Common now

A lot of people who are in these situations fail to do a self-assessment in their lives and just go according to what they have always known/have been told by society/family/peers/media. I was one of the "cogs in the system" (even though I was constantly aware of myself but thought I can rise up in the corporate ladder), working from about 7am-6pm in the top financial institution of Wall St for 5 years until I was let go.

The free time was a great opportunity to dig deep and self-educate myself while focusing also on being in the best shape of my life. Stopped drinking/smoking completely and living the cookie cutter/end of the week partying lifestyle. (Thinking, "What is everyone popping bottles for?") I isolated myself from all the noise (soul searching) and just finally got down to my own priorities and what made me happy. Reading and working out was a way to keep the mind focused. Now 29, I feel like it was a new lease of life and pursuing a career where purpose/passion/money/meaning meet while also finding the need to help others along the way. Total change and a great feeling of empowerment and personal growth.

My advice to those who are not happy with their current situation (since I know there are types of people who are completely fine with their 9-5 and that's cool for them. They are needed for the system to operate smoothly.): take some personality tests like Myers Briggs Type Indicator and set some time aside in the day to just analyze your thoughts and priorities. DO HOMEWORK on yourself. The answer is actually all within you and your personal values. Not what or how you will be perceived by others. Build that self-confidence and belief in yourself so you can add value to society in a profound way. Everything else is secondary.

It's time to start clearly Envisioning, taking Accountability for your own actions, and being more Aware. You create your own reality and path. The world will start looking differently and reacting differently. That's my take and a peek into my mindset. Hope that helps at least some of you.

Kilroy out
glasses.gif

Originally Posted by AllEyezOnMeNYC

A lot of people who are in these situations fail to do a self-assessment in their lives and just go according to what they have always known/have been told by society/family/peers/media. I was one of the "cogs in the system" (even though I was constantly aware of myself but thought I can rise up in the corporate ladder), working from about 7am-6pm in the top financial institution of Wall St for 5 years until I was let go.

The free time was a great opportunity to dig deep and self-educate myself while focusing also on being in the best shape of my life. Stopped drinking/smoking completely and living the cookie cutter/end of the week partying lifestyle. (Thinking, "What is everyone popping bottles for?") I isolated myself from all the noise (soul searching) and just finally got down to my own priorities and what made me happy. Reading and working out was a way to keep the mind focused. Now 29, I feel like it was a new lease of life and pursuing a career where purpose/passion/money/meaning meet while also finding the need to help others along the way. Total change and a great feeling of empowerment and personal growth.

My advice to those who are not happy with their current situation (since I know there are types of people who are completely fine with their 9-5 and that's cool for them. They are needed for the system to operate smoothly.): take some personality tests like Myers Briggs Type Indicator and set some time aside in the day to just analyze your thoughts and priorities. DO HOMEWORK on yourself. The answer is actually all within you and your personal values. Not what or how you will be perceived by others. Build that self-confidence and belief in yourself so you can add value to society in a profound way. Everything else is secondary.

It's time to start clearly Envisioning, taking Accountability for your own actions, and being more Aware. You create your own reality and path. The world will start looking differently and reacting differently. That's my take and a peek into my mindset. Hope that helps at least some of you.

Kilroy out
glasses.gif

QFT 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

its also the hours that people work that make them so tired with what they do. corporate culture in this country is terrible. the only reason we have the most production is by default. Americans spend the most time at their jobs. Other nations are far more productive for the hours they actually work.

The cubicle type life always seemed interesting and stable to me (I'm 16), but I can't see myself doing that for my life. Only reason I'm gonna major in business is to live that dream of having my own thing where I can set my OWN hours

Originally Posted by wiredz3

Has this generation gone soft or something? Trying to differentiate the lazy from the passionate, I'm pretty sure most of you fall in the former. Kudos to those busting their balls out there fine tuning their talents barely getting by. But whether you're pursuing your dream or have a 9-5 job, work your @*%@@ off regardless. I mean damn, I get the feeling these young fellas want the most amount of pay for the least amount of work. Whatever happened to a honest day pay for an honest days work? Wise up, live ain't easy. Omitting 9-5 jobs ...you may be living in your parents basement for sometime now. Common now
Nah...your just falling back on a simple minded, uneducated, mentality...'oh you dont have a job? you must be a lazy vagrant who complains about everything and doesnt want to work.'

People WANT to work...we're actually in a situation where there are around 20 million unemployed people...people simply CANNOT get work in the contemporary labor market..if you can't sell your labor to another man then you can't survive.Man should be allowed to own his own labor.

Quite frankly the economic policies supported by the public officials of this country prevent more work than it creates...even though you 'vote' for a politician to 'create' jobs.(how is it possible for another man to create jobs?)

its a shame people aren't looking into the core of these issues. or they are just too prideful to admit the true situation until it effects them directly immediately...well sorry...by then its too late..people will pay the ultimate price for their ignorance as the middle class continues to shrink.

you can say this generation has gone soft but your not even at the tip of the ice berg...like i said people are under the assumption 9-5 wage labor is the be all end all of human civilization which is simply NOT TRUE..and that should be apparent to anybody who gives a DAMN about whats going on in this world today.

im not worried because the truly determined will be the people who pave their own path and achieve an agreeable alternative...thats what true American patriotism is about.

Someone told the rest of these people wrong. the blind lead the blind.

study history for real. study economics. study politics. we can beat these times if we know our rights as humans and come together for a common cause. no more of this partisan nonsense..

@ illwill24: Thanks man!
@ B Smooth 202: Good stuff right there.
@ ryair max 1: I agree with you on the corp culture's productivity and time factor, therefore no work/life balance = weathered employees. To add, workers with no time to think creatively but spend their free time at bars/lounges to "unwind". That was my former cycle and for others as well. But I'm glad I broke out of it.
@Arenick: Cool to major in business, but also make sure you educate yourself and practice those theories and entrepreneurial ideas in real world applications to give you real world results. 16 years of formal schooling will only help you to be a good employee and not a job creator. Network, help others, and create a circle of mentors around you all while learning to adapt to the times. Start early and make sure your priorities are clear. List down your strengths and weaknesses NOW and fine-tune them throughout the years. Do work that is an expression of who you and your strengths are with conviction and integrity intact. Job/life satisfaction and your overall definition of success won't ever be taken from you if you stay true.
Would love to be 16 again given the knowledge I had attained but all good, I written it this way lol

PM me if any of you NTers want to discuss further, need advice, etc. After all, this is what the forum is about. Tnx

Originally Posted by KenJi714

Easier said than done

Look around you. People are broke and unemployed. When the bills come. Your 9-5 start to make a lot of sense and you actually will be thankful that you actually have a decent 40k job

If everyone in the world think selfishly like you. Everyone would be doing what they love and no one would actually be working

Sorry but the world is not a movie

We live in a system
^ This. Plus, even when you become an entrepreneur, you think the work load is lighter?
laugh.gif
. To have a successful business along the lines where you want to chill, you probably have to work 4-5x as harder to get it to work and last. Some of y'all need to stop watching tv. Everybody want the rewards but don't want to do the work.

To be honest with you OP... I just use this job to fuel my passion (I do work hard when I NEED to).

When I get home this place doesn't exist to me (sounds strange,but that's just the way my mind works).

Are cats in here passionate about anything?

Whether it be a job or a career you GOTTA be passionate about something in life.

Originally Posted by teamfrenzy

For the people who is not doing that 9-5 grind, what is the plan?

How are you getting by?

They either work from home or are pushing weight.

i'm at my 9-5 for over 4 years now. the things i complain about make the job seam worse than it actually is. i mean, im on NT typing this at work with no supervisor around to care. they probably wouldn't say anything even if they were here.

honestly though, when i was younger i always said i wasn't about that desk job life, but i'm glad to have it right now. i didn't graduate college or take it seriously while i was there. i was working at CVS making a couple of bucks an hour when this opportunity was presented to me so i took it and ran.

the only thing that got to me was not being able to handle this job and my band at the time. THAT still irks me
30t6p3b.gif

as much as i hate it. i work 6pm to 2am, cant complain much when i have a job that pays well while others are struggling to find a job.

Originally Posted by AllEyezOnMeNYC

Kilroy out
glasses.gif
I just took the Myers Briggs Personality Test.  It is very informative if you really think about the questions and dig deep to answer them honestly.  I left a company that manufactured car seat frames that I worked for almost 14 years to work at a nuclear facility....I left mainly because I was always there.  I worked as a Quality Technician and had to be there every day, NO day off unless the whole plant shut down.   I was an assistant welding engineer at my new job working 4 10 hr shifts a week, the schedule was great and money was right, just not very fulfilling.  Unfortunately, the budget was cut and I was laid off last October, I've been looking for work ever since.  I have gotten a few opportunities that will put me right back in a manufacturing atmosphere, like the one I tried to get away from, most likely swing shifts.  I've been doing a lot of soul searching, I need a job, but I also want to be happy....it's like combining happiness and work is like mixing oil and water sometimes.

@ Cement Greyman: That test is so beneficial. Once you identify your personality type (crazy that people can fit within 16 types), you can build a better foundation and find/make a career that suits you.

One thing school will not teach you (I found out the hard way, but humble and actually I like the struggle) : Career management skills. Master that and you'll be better prepared for any situation.

Good luck and hang in there, I'm i the same boat!

It isn't for me and hasn't been for me for close to 3 years now. While I do work for someone, I have almost full autonomy which allows me to work from home, make my own hours, etc. I will never go back to the traditional work arrangement (set hours, office, etc).

It's good to see I'm in the same boat as alot of people here. I'm currently looking to switch careers, but I'm not sure what would be a good fit for me. I graduated with a dual major in Finance & Sports Mgmt and I'm currently working as a union construction worker. The job pays very well with good benefits, but I bust my $!+ all day long and having steady work isn't guaranteed.

I'm 30 now and feel like if I'm going to make a career move it has to be soon before I settle down and have a family to take care of. I'd most likely have to start at the bottom again making half the money I do now and that's really discouraging, but I know I don't want to be doing this for the next 30 years. I don't think my body can handle the strain it puts on you physically, but I'm not sure I'm cut out for that corporate cutthroat life either.

I feel like I'm at a crossroad in my life and have no idea which direction to take. Not a good feeling, but I'm trying to stay positive and believe that things will fall into place and I'll find my way.

Those saying you can use your personality type to find a future, how do you do that?

I'm an INTJ, and as far as I'm concerned, I'm introverted, isolated, power-hungry, obsessive, cold and a megalomaniac? My personality type is the most antisocial and arrogant one so apart from running the world, there aren't many options.

Back
Top Bottom