Anyone else loving that Tiki Barber is sitting in a corner crying right now?

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Originally Posted by DREdwards

Originally Posted by dadecounty11

Dude "retired" in the prime of his career, and now that he wants back, no one wants him. Oh well.

AGREED!! these guys have a gift why not use it till you don't have it no more.. Tiki retired way too early, i'm glad no one is giving him a shot...

Because if you push yourself to that point you could end up with some serious damage. I had no problem with Tiki retiring. It was his saltiness and how he carried himself.

Robert Smith was probably the only one who retired early the right way (for RB's). The guy was still a Top 10 back and had no qualms with walking away to start his next career, which he does darn good at.

1 sign that he retired to early is.... THE FACT THAT HE WANTS BACK IN!! he had a good 2-3 years left in him and then he could've retired...

For the wrong reasons though. He misses the fame and fortune, not the game. At least that's how it appears.

For the wrong reasons though. He misses the fame and fortune, not the game. At least that's how it appears.

Dude "retired" in the prime of his career, and now that he wants back, no one wants him. Oh well.

AGREED!! these guys have a gift why not use it till you don't have it no more.. Tiki retired way too early, i'm glad no one is giving him a shot...

Because if you push yourself to that point you could end up with some serious damage. I had no problem with Tiki retiring. It was his saltiness and how he carried himself.

Robert Smith was probably the only one who retired early the right way (for RB's). The guy was still a Top 10 back and had no qualms with walking away to start his next career, which he does darn good at.

Exactly.

Son never gives back to his home town. Smh
30t6p3b.gif

Barry-Sanders-greatest-running-back.jpg

Originally Posted by JoeClear

I never used to root for the guy , but now I feel bad for Tiki.    I know the signs of a Bi Polar person too well 

That chick he left his wife for is
devil.gif
indifferent.gif

Dude is a lame...everything he's going through, he brought it on himself.

^ He was salty.

You sure? The Lions thought they were really sticking it to him by demanding his signing bonus back...and he just walked in the office and gave it to them.

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

As a life long Giants fan, !+!# Tiki Barber!!!! It's good to see that nobody is willing to give this p.o.s a chance
laugh.gif

I thought it was a Carson Palmer type situation. He wanted to be traded or else he'd retire.

It's not too bad, but still some drama surrounding it. I don't think it was on his terms.

Nah I thought it would have been cool seeing him make a comeback after 5 years away.
Maybe he'll get signed after Week 1 when his contract won't be guaranteed for the season.

From Barry Sanders' wiki:

Sanders stunned many when he announced he was quitting pro football. His retirement was made public by faxing a letter to the Wichita Eagle, his hometown newspaper in July 1999.[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Sanders#cite_note-6[/sup]

He left football healthy, having gained 15,269 rushing yards, 2,921 receiving yards, and 109 touchdowns (99 rushing and 10 receiving). He retired within a one-season striking distance of Walter Payton's career rushing mark of 16,726 yards. Only Walter Payton and Emmitt Smith have rushed for more yards than Sanders.

Sanders' retirement came somewhat unexpectedly and was a matter of controversy. Two years beforehand, Sanders had renewed his contract with the Lions for $35.4 million over six years with an $11 million signing bonus. When he retired with several years left on his contract, the Lions demanded that he return $7.3 million of the bonus.[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Sanders#cite_note-7[/sup] Sanders refused, and the Lions sued and eventually won a judgment against him. On February 15, 2000, arbitrator Sam Kagel ruled that Sanders was in default of his bonus agreement and owed $5.5 million plus interest over the next three years.[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Sanders#cite_note-8[/sup]

Several years after retirement, and repeated refusals to discuss the abruptness of it, Sanders finally admitted that the culture of losing in the Lions' organization was too much to deal with even though he said that he could still play. He explained that it robbed him of his competitive spirit, and he saw no reason to believe things were going to improve. Although Detroit had made the playoffs the season prior to his retirement (losing to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 20-10 on the road in a 1998 NFC Wild Card game), Detroit drafted quarterback Charlie Batch in the second round of the 1998 NFL Draft. It became apparent that Batch would become Detroit's full time starter the next season, and Sanders seemed unwilling to embrace yet another change in the Lions' seemingly endless carousel of quarterbacks and offensive philosophies. He had also gone on record to criticize Detroit's front office (most notably Chuck Schmidt) for releasing Pro Bowl center Kevin Glover for salary cap reasons. Glover was an underrated player and close friend of Sanders in Detroit. He stated there were tears in his eyes as the Lions lost in the playoffs to Tampa in 1998, because he knew in his heart he was never going to play another game for Detroit. "I sobbed for 3 months," Sanders said.[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Sanders#cite_note-9[/sup]

There was widespread speculation that Sanders' retirement was a calculated move on his behalf to orchestrate a trade to a more legitimate contender. The Green Bay Packers and Miami Dolphins were both considered among the front runners in the negotiations. Detroit was either unable to find an attractive enough offer, or unwilling to negotiate altogether with other teams. It had been a long standing practice for the Detroit Lions to not accommodate players' requests for trades.

Never like to see someone struggle or suffer, a lot of journalists and sports media outlets are expecting/predicting some type of negative mental health result from this whole situation.
It would benefit Tiki to stay focused on his workouts and getting into proper shape, it's likely he could still get a look once the season starts and injuries begin taking a toll on teams. 

What baffles me was his decision to snub FOX for NBC, despite the longer contract and more money. His agent/rep did not serve Barber well on that occasion.

I thought it was a Carson Palmer type situation. He wanted to be traded or else he'd retire.

It's not too bad, but still some drama surrounding it. I don't think it was on his terms.
Ahhhh, didn't know it dealt anymore than that. Thought it was more simple

I love it. Any man that leaves his wife while pregnant is a coward and deserves absolutely the worst. No sympathy for that punk.

Back
Top Bottom