Anyone else not have health insurance?

I took some time off from college, but recently transferred to a new school and want to finish up my bachelor's.  They have mandatory physical forms like every college has.  My doctor's visit last week was $175.  They were nice enough to offer to do my urinalysis at the office so i could save some money.  I get the bill today from the laboratory for my blood work, those fools charged me $641.  I was 
eek.gif
mad.gif
.  I don't remember being charged that much last time i had a blood test done.  Plus I have to go back to the doctor's next week to finish up my physical.  I'll probably end up spending $800-$900 for my school physical.
I should've signed up for Medicaid years ago but i kept putting it off.  This has me considering getting a job at panera bread so i can get some health coverage even if i just work part-time.  

I took some time off from college, but recently transferred to a new school and want to finish up my bachelor's.  They have mandatory physical forms like every college has.  My doctor's visit last week was $175.  They were nice enough to offer to do my urinalysis at the office so i could save some money.  I get the bill today from the laboratory for my blood work, those fools charged me $641.  I was 
eek.gif
mad.gif
.  I don't remember being charged that much last time i had a blood test done.  Plus I have to go back to the doctor's next week to finish up my physical.  I'll probably end up spending $800-$900 for my school physical.
I should've signed up for Medicaid years ago but i kept putting it off.  This has me considering getting a job at panera bread so i can get some health coverage even if i just work part-time.  

I think you can get a physical at the free clinic. Just tell them you are volunteering at the school.

I think you can get a physical at the free clinic. Just tell them you are volunteering at the school.

i was under my dad's insurance when i was still going to my old college, then i left and wasn't covered anymore.
i've been going to that same doctor's office for years and it's only 5 minutes from my house.  guess i'll just go to a free clinic from now on.

i was under my dad's insurance when i was still going to my old college, then i left and wasn't covered anymore.
i've been going to that same doctor's office for years and it's only 5 minutes from my house.  guess i'll just go to a free clinic from now on.

from 22 to 27.. I have had a few near death experiences and all I could think of is how ridiculous my hospital bill was going to be... I have health insurance now and I never use it but at least Im covered

from 22 to 27.. I have had a few near death experiences and all I could think of is how ridiculous my hospital bill was going to be... I have health insurance now and I never use it but at least Im covered

They're billing you at the rate they bill the insurers. However, the insurers have pay schedules and I doubt the lab will get more than 150. Call up the lab and tell them all that you're willing to pay is x amount. Start low, see if they bite. If not, negotiate up to your ceiling and if they aren't willing to accept that,  then tell them that you just won't pay. They'll take it. 

They're billing you at the rate they bill the insurers. However, the insurers have pay schedules and I doubt the lab will get more than 150. Call up the lab and tell them all that you're willing to pay is x amount. Start low, see if they bite. If not, negotiate up to your ceiling and if they aren't willing to accept that,  then tell them that you just won't pay. They'll take it. 

I actually am in the same situation as you. I haven't had health insurance in quite a few years, but yesterday I finally applied to Blue Cross online. There going to charge me $84 a month.

I actually am in the same situation as you. I haven't had health insurance in quite a few years, but yesterday I finally applied to Blue Cross online. There going to charge me $84 a month.

I graduated so Im no long covered under my parents policy...was working for a company that provided health insurance, but im not working anymore... so im currently without it..and worts of all, I just got sick the other day....

Back
Top Bottom