Anyone else think Church is stupid

atlnoi.jpg

No.
I feel that church is a very important part of a complete walk with CHRIST.

Churches are made up of imperfect members, so you'll never going to find the perfect church.
Find the one that best follows the scriptures, and that helps you build the best relationship with GOD that you can.

Originally Posted by McFlyyy

NTers in here talking a bunch of jargon as expected. i go to church for God and nothing else.. i don't care about how big the church is, how many jumbo screens (wth?) there are or any of that. i go to church, sit down, listen to the sermon, give my tithe and walk right out. if you can't see it as that, just look at it like a weekly pep talk. it's a great way to start your week.
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]That's all you're expected to do.[/color]
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by diplomatic immunity

there is no "god"
i mean if i said i had a bently u'd wanna see it, but u believe a book when it says a man walked on water 1000's of yrs ago....pls
wake up people
"religion" is a multi TRILLION$ biz
there brain washing you!!!
(off my soapbox) that is all
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]I do believe there is something greater, but that has NOTHING to dowith religion, but the Church has intertwined that "greater being" with religion and says some bs about how if you don't accept Jesus (who istotally fake btw) then you don't accept "God.".. At the end of the day, all they want is your money and for your brain to be wired to their fakebeliefs.[/color]

Yes, but I'm Jewish so I don't know that you should take my answer as definitive.

Originally Posted by HarlemKickDiva

I dont think it stupid....

But the whole system is corrupt.

Mega churches... since when is it ok for a church to have a plasma and an atm?

Got preachers smashing ppl wives and smiling in the husbands faces

A comic sed it best: 2 many ppl freakin on friday, sucking on saturday, and suddenly saved on sunday

I'll stick to my belief of spirtuality in the confines of my home and mind

This is what I'm leaning towards.

Church as you know it may be "stupid"

But "Church" can be anywhere, a place a prayer.

Church can be your bedroom, you don't need to go somewhere special where people gather, just to do what the essential idea of "Church" is.

So no, Church is not stupid.

I want to pose a question, I would have put it in the thread I just made but it relates more to this topic.

Do you think folks go to church just to say that they have gone?

I see this a lot in young black females. I guess because many of them were raised in the church, they feel some sort of habitual intuition that they NEED to go. I always hear them say, "I haven't been to church in a while."

Even though many of them don't even LIVE the LIFE or ATTEMPT to LIVE THE LIFE, they feel that going to church is something that they need to get credit for.

THIS bothers me because many of them will look down at you if you tell them that you don't go to church.

devil.gif
devil.gif
devil.gif
DCAllAmerican wrote:

I want to pose a question, I would have put it in the thread I just made but it relates more to this topic.

I see this a lot in young black females. I guess because many of them were raised in the church, they feel some sort of habitual intuition that they NEED to go. I always hear them say, "I haven't been to church in a while."

Even though many of them don't even LIVE the LIFE or ATTEMPT to LIVE THE LIFE, they feel that going to church is something that they need to get credit for.

THIS bothers me because many of them will look down at you if you tell them that you don't go to church.
This is definitely true for some black women, but not all. My moms is heavily involved in church and she practices what she preaches for the most part. However, a lot of these females still be wylin out Mon - Sat, but all up in the church on Sunday like they saved, sanctified, and filled with the holy spirit. I'm real chill when I go, cause I know I do my dirt. No need to act all holy. A lot of these broads be bad a hell, too. But it's hard for me to kick it with a woman if feel like she's a phony.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Boy u are lucky that this is worthy of a thread resurrection
laugh.gif

But I feel that ppl do go to church for the wrong reasons. If u were raised in church and feel the need, that's understandable, especially if u are trying to live a positive lifestyle.  U got the other ppl who only go on certain holidays just to be seen and say they went, just like u suggested. Many ppl have hidden agendas when it comes to attending church and that's what gives those that actually want to live right a bad name. That is the difference between Christians, Catcholics, Muslims, etc and Church ppl.

I would not call it stupid, but definitely a waste of time.....Am I the only one that sees that church is only there to make money?? Where does it say that you cant worship by yourself, or with just your family at home?? Does god love you less if you cant make it out on sunday, or any other day of the week??

somewhere in history someone came up with this BS about coming to church to influence people and their decisions (more than likely to either vote a certain way, or to stop public dismay and upheaval and scare people to stay inline) , then they started to eventually ask for tithing and then passing the plate......

All I am saying is that, how can people pray and follow a religion that was more than likely forced on their ancestors thousands (maybe even hundreds) of years ago..????

^A lot of people go just to say they've gone. Thats what it's turned into for them or already was their reason for going.

For the ones that it's turned into, they've most likely fallen out of the habit by being away from home for a bit where they get that freedom and choice on whether to go or not. So when posed with the choice and ability to go it becomes a hard decision since people WILL ask where you've been and their own spirit will conflict with having to deal with that and being in that atmosphere.

For the ones where it already was their reason for going, that's usually just to end the conversation opener of "Have you been to church?" or "When was the last time you went?" Because in the event that you say no, a floodgate opens from the person who asked going into why you should go and questioning you spiritual walk with God. Don't nobody that doesn't go to church faithfully wanna hear that.

Chances are they never intended to live the life but rebel against what their parents were trying to instill in them.

THIS bothers me because many of them will look down at you if you tell them that you don't go to church

Yeah this bothers me too because while you are yet going...your still doing your own thing, being no better off than someone who never goes and never even knew Jesus. Thats the worst.

Originally Posted by DublBagn

All I am saying is that, how can people pray and follow a religion that was more than likely forced on their ancestors thousands (maybe even hundreds) of years ago..????
Never understand why more black folks haven't woke up and sniffed this. It is almost as if it is never talked about. People seem to totally dismiss this notion.

Originally Posted by SpeakUp23

Like you said Im a calm guy as well, I dont want to draw attention to myself jumping and yelling and +%#$. I just cant do it.
I have even had folks question me

"Why don't you get excited in church. If this was a basketball game you would be into it." -
eyes.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I cant even get hype at a Yankees game. I just hate drawing attention to myself like that.

Also as far as tithes go let's just be real, the church building still receives bills from gas and electric companies amoung other expenses. But some churches do happen to take advatage of this to become prosperous themselves
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by DublBagn

Never understand why more black folks haven't woke up and sniffed this. It is almost as if it is never talked about. People seem to totally dismiss this notion.
One way religious leaders attempted to convert slaves was to preach amessage that all slaves wanted to hear. This message was that allChristians were equal in the eyes of God. Hearing this gave the slaveshope and a reason to live. When they felt unloved and hated by theirmasters it helped to know that someone bigger than them all loved themand cared for them.
That doesn't sound familiar at all, does it?
grin.gif
We're still falling victim to the same tactics.
smh.gif

Another tactic to convert slaves was to hold services similar to thosethe slaves held themselves. These services often times involvedenthusiastic singing, clapping, dancing, and even spirit-possession.Not having to change their style of worship made the African-Americansmore comfortable attending Christian services.
Catching the holy ghost?

The more I learn about slavery, the more I find that we were never really given freedom. All the masters did was enslave poor whites, along with all the other lower classes and gave us "isms" to fight amongst ourselves. That way our collective gaze is never turned to the real problem, which is greed and the consolidation of wealth.

I don't think church is stupid, everybody has their own reasons for going and I'm not gonna knock them.

My only issue is church service is WAYYYYYYYY too long, especially in those mega churches. I just come for the sermon/message and that's it, I don't need to sing along with the choir for hours every week and crip walk down the isle claiming I caught the holy ghost, all that stuff is a front IMO.

laugh.gif
and I'm with you DC on that getting excited in church tip, it's all a show IMO. I don't feel compelled to sing along and clap if I'm really not into it, no one will ever get me to enjoy gospel music. It's like nails on a chalk board to me.

So much nonsense in here lol. First and foremost, as someone said earlier, if you're going to church and worrying about what the next person is doing you need to check yourself. Secondly, for all of you that are worried about churches that are doing wrong or are too flashy, the simple solution is to find a better church. No one and no church is perfect and no one is forcing you to attend a mega church and catch the Holy Ghost in the aisle. I guarantee you can find a church in your neighborhood or relatively close that is much simpler that you might enjoy. As for the purpose of church, I think many of you have got it wrong. Yes it's good to go to church, praise the Lord and listen to the Gospel but I believe as someone else has said, you can do that any time at your home. What good is it to go to church every Sunday if you're living foul? I personally see Church as a good place to clear my mind, hear some words of wisdom from the Pastor (which is why its important to choose the right church for you), and also to commune with my neighbors. Shake a hand, wish peace on your neighbor, get to know people in your community, all great reasons to attend church. It seems to me that most people who don't like church don't like to go every week. Sounds like laziness to me. I know I don't go every Sunday and it's because I'm lazy, not because I'm put off by what others do or don't do. You should all look at things from a more personal point of view and stop making excuses. If you don't want to attend Church don't let it be because of what someone else does. If you do go to Church, don't let it be because someone else pressured you into it, including parents.

I dont go to church cuz i have better things to do on sunday. And there is no god so when i die i just die.

Originally Posted by YouMadYouBad

I don't ever go to church anymore. My mom doesn't ask much of me except that i go to church with her during the holidays. And i sit there and listen to what the preacher is saying, i look at the 2 jumbo screens, and watch how the people react and i just don't get how people are so convinced.

All i get from Church is that people go there to feel better about all the crooked,shady,unmoral things they did during the week. And use church as a way to feel better about themselves, leave church and are back to the same grind 10 minutes later.

And just encase this topic lifts off the ground this is not an attack on "religion".

Can anyone who gets something from church explain how and why?

You are exactly right. And most believers will agree with you on this statement too. However this is exactly why the church is dead. People are expecting to "get something out of church". When that is not what it is about at all. Church is not a place to consume and receive but to give, sacrifice, and serve.

So until people read the book of Acts again and understand what the purpose of the church is. This is the state the church will stay in.

Good post my man
pimp.gif

Just to clarify, I do believe in higher powers and spirituality.

I don't believe in religion. It's a tool to keep us divided.

Back
Top Bottom