Anyone else think Church is stupid

Catching the Holy Ghost, I think you can catch any spirit if you are in the moment. Look at Ray Lewis, Ultimate Warrior, and KG. So I wouldn't call it FAKE, but when you are passionate about something you get get hyped about it pretty easily.

Originally Posted by ExtRaOrDinaRy SwAg

I don't think church is stupid, everybody has their own reasons for going and I'm not gonna knock them.

Myonly issue is church service is WAYYYYYYYY too long, especially inthose mega churches. I just come for the sermon/message and that's it,I don't need to sing along with the choir for hours every week and cripwalk down the isle claiming I caught the holy ghost, all that stuff isa front IMO.

laugh.gif
and I'm with you DC on that getting excited in church tip, it's all ashow IMO. I don't feel compelled to sing along and clap if I'm reallynot into it, no one will ever get me to enjoy gospel music. It's likenails on a chalk board to me.
Yea Church is way too longfor me as well. When I do go, I HAVE to go at 8 am. That service isn'tthat long. But I can't go to the 10 service because I would end up inchurch until TWO. I can't do that.

Yea Gospel music doesn't do much for me and I never sing along either. Just isn't in me honestly.

Originally Posted by RavageBX

So much nonsense in here lol. First and foremost, as someone said earlier, if you're going to church and worrying about what the next person is doing you need to check yourself. Secondly, for all of you that are worried about churches that are doing wrong or are too flashy, the simple solution is to find a better church. No one and no church is perfect and no one is forcing you to attend a mega church and catch the Holy Ghost in the aisle. I guarantee you can find a church in your neighborhood or relatively close that is much simpler that you might enjoy. As for the purpose of church, I think many of you have got it wrong. Yes it's good to go to church, praise the Lord and listen to the Gospel but I believe as someone else has said, you can do that any time at your home. What good is it to go to church every Sunday if you're living foul? I personally see Church as a good place to clear my mind, hear some words of wisdom from the Pastor (which is why its important to choose the right church for you), and also to commune with my neighbors. Shake a hand, wish peace on your neighbor, get to know people in your community, all great reasons to attend church. It seems to me that most people who don't like church don't like to go every week. Sounds like laziness to me. I know I don't go every Sunday and it's because I'm lazy, not because I'm put off by what others do or don't do. You should all look at things from a more personal point of view and stop making excuses. If you don't want to attend Church don't let it be because of what someone else does. If you do go to Church, don't let it be because someone else pressured you into it, including parents.
thank you sir

i rarely go and wont go during the holidays. i figure since i didnt go last sunday im not goin this sunday cuz i know im not going next sunday. make sense?

Originally Posted by ExtRaOrDinaRy SwAg

I don't think church is stupid, everybody has their own reasons for going and I'm not gonna knock them.

My only issue is church service is WAYYYYYYYY too long, especially in those mega churches. I just come for the sermon/message and that's it, I don't need to sing along with the choir for hours every week and crip walk down the isle claiming I caught the holy ghost, all that stuff is a front IMO.

laugh.gif
and I'm with you DC on that getting excited in church tip, it's all a show IMO. I don't feel compelled to sing along and clap if I'm really not into it, no one will ever get me to enjoy gospel music. It's like nails on a chalk board to me.
I read this then looked at ur avy and chuckled
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by BIGTEEZY

Originally Posted by YouMadYouBad

I don't ever go to church anymore. My mom doesn't ask much of me except that i go to church with her during the holidays. And i sit there and listen to what the preacher is saying, i look at the 2 jumbo screens, and watch how the people react and i just don't get how people are so convinced.

All i get from Church is that people go there to feel better about all the crooked,shady,unmoral things they did during the week. And use church as a way to feel better about themselves, leave church and are back to the same grind 10 minutes later.

And just encase this topic lifts off the ground this is not an attack on "religion".

Can anyone who gets something from church explain how and why?

You are exactly right. And most believers will agree with you on this statement too. However this is exactly why the church is dead. People are expecting to "get something out of church". When that is not what it is about at all. Church is not a place to consume and receive but to give, sacrifice, and serve.

So until people read the book of Acts again and understand what the purpose of the church is. This is the state the church will stay in.

Good post my man
pimp.gif

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
 even better post my man

i went to private schools all my life, and i can say that now most my friends and i rather not partake in anything concerning religion.
i dont like going to church either, it just feels like an awkward place of worship. worshiping what. can pray and carry on a significant relationship with whoever you believe in on your own time.

although when i do go, i don't mind being enlightened by what the priest has to say, most are wise however, the rituals and repetitive routines though make me feel as though im in a cult.

FTR, I'm probably the most imperfect person when it comes to attending Church and even believing in God for that matter.

I do co-sign as to folks who feel they don't need the 'house or physical building' to worship and connect with God. But for myself, I feel it's definitely calmed me down in stressful times and adds another spot to connect with God. I'm pretty open minded in my beliefs of religion, and I feel as one person put it on here as a "Universal Unitarian" it doesn't really matter what religion we're from since it's nearly all inter-related and there's good and bad no matter its origin. But there are the core beliefs of morality that I feel I would want to pass down to my kids (if I ever have any) and would do so through a church congregation or some other religion (depending on who I have kids with).

Originally Posted by Uptown Roamer

I don't think it's stupid, though. I just feel like I don't have to go all the damn time in order to feel connected or in touch with God...

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by DublBagn

All I am saying is that, how can people pray and follow a religion that was more than likely forced on their ancestors thousands (maybe even hundreds) of years ago..????
Never understand why more black folks haven't woke up and sniffed this. It is almost as if it is never talked about. People seem to totally dismiss this notion.
exactly

You're stupid for thinking the Church is stupid. More NT'ers should start going to church.

As I've gotten older, I've found myself becoming less and less comfortable with organized religion. I guess I am more spiritual than I am religious.

its not stupid
but i wouldnt be a hipocrit and go while at the same time continue to "sin"
i also feel bad cus there's a lot of women and milfs that come in looking super fine
and im just like
devil.gif

I love praise & worship because I get to play the drums
laugh.gif
And the sermon is usually very powerful. I never got the theatrics of it all, though.

i feel basically the same way..i haven't been to church in ages..but my church had some grimey people...always talking about one another, who can give the most money...had a girl that always preached to you..she was mrs goody..$!+%+ ends up getting pregnant
smh.gif

my barber used to be a pastor and at the same time he's married and hitting on my mom..where they do that @
smh.gif

To me, going to church is more on giving thanks. Also, if i can visit NT everyday, maybe going to Church sometimes can be that easy too especially when i have to thank that I can see, speak, listen, & move normally each day i wake up.

It really annoys me when people in the congregation are acting all over the top with their antics...

*standing up with hands in the air* "UH HUH!!! AMEN!!!! YES!!!! PRAISE THE LORD!!!!" *then starts clapping after every sentence the preacher says*

It's extremely annoying.

I never go to church, it's a room full of hypocrites. Why can't these people just interpret the bible themselves?

First of all, let me start off by saying that I am a believer in God however I am not a church goer.

The way I see it though you can't put all churches in the stereotype you view them in. There are pastors who are passionate about what they preach and genuinely care about their people.

However, I'm not blind. I do see the corrupt pastors and churches as well. The $#!% you need multi-million dollar churches for? And why are some of these pastors riding around in S-Class Benzes when they're supposed to be a man of God, and not supposed to succumb to the pleasures of money? And why can't they let the homeless sleep in their churches when it's supposed to be a house of God? Isn't that what God would want?

So yeah, some of these so called pastors do have the game twisted, which is why I'll tend to my spirituality in the confines of my home as another guy said. But just know not all of them are crooked.

I am in my 17th year of Catholic education...
indifferent.gif
the first 14 were not by choice, and my college - although Catholic - doesn't force anything on their students, thankfully.

If I could do it all over/had a choice, I would never have dipped into Catholic schools. I can't believe that I accepted the brainwashing and force-feeding of beliefs as a young child... if I was meant to find Jesus, I would have done so on my own time. I'm fairly sure that the majority of kids I graduated HS with feel the same backlash.

Anyways, concerning church specifically, I hate it. I'm sure it's comforting for others, but all I can think of when I'm sitting in those uncomfortable wooden pews is how much money was wasted on this place. Video screens? Gold statues? Elaborate stained glass? Preachers with custom suits and luxury cars? Please, Jesus was a man with no material possessions. He said that you must enter Heaven as a poor man.

Even if I was a religious person, I wouldn't need a church to pray. My last few years of attending church was filled with our pastor preaching against abortion and stem cell research... if I really want to make a connection with "God," I'll sit on a grassy hill on a sunny day and appreciate nature. I'd rather do that than sit with perpetual sinners than think their church attendance is a ticket to heaven.

Back
Top Bottom