Anyone ever been to Alcoholics Anonymous?

I enjoy libations. Often. I'm a (relatively) young guy, and up until this point, I didn't consider it to be a problem in the slightest. But I want speaking with my mom a few weeks back and she told me about my dad's side of my family. Apparently my pops was a really bad drunk, and my grand father (his dad) was even worse. Ever since that conversation, I've been thinking. I'm not too versed on the topic of addiction, I've always assumed that will power should be enough to get a person through life. I believe I have the ability to stop drinking, but I find myself in situations where drinking heavily is commonplace. Needless to say, "The turn up is real." I don't think I have a problem, but I was considering going to an AA class tomorrow to check out what people are actually struggling with.

Anyone ever been? Care to share your thoughts?

It's not a matter of how much you consume, it's a matter of how alcohol consumption affects the rest of your life. Are your finances okay? How are your relationships (parents, siblings, friends, significant others)? Do you miss work due to being hungover? Got any DUIs? Evaluate things like that before taking entering a program.

It sounds like the relationship between your parents was strained due, in part, to alcohol. And your dad got the gene passed down from his dad. You probably have the gene, too, but you seem to be aware of your history. That's important in evaluating your situation.

OMG, bro, this is too real for me.

I was thinking about this JUST NOW. I just cracked open a beer and niketalk.com Didnt have a first drink until 20 (I quit basketball, never drank cause I thought it was bad for athletes) I had a college "binge" period for almost 1 year from like 20-21, then quit short after my 21st birthday. Never drank again until 25-26th, and it has been going downhill (currently 29)

I realized that I'm a very functional alcoholic, I just realized this morning. Today was the day to quit cold turkey, but I had beers left in the fridge and just reasoned to myself why I should finish them and start tomorrow :smh: .

I have NEVER been a drinker. I reflected back on my life, and alcohol DOES affect me.

When I was NOT a drinker, I did the things I love. I played basketball, rode my bike, worked out early at the gym , etc. I got things done way more, I was on that "accomplish anything, life is great tip".

So I said eff it this morning, I got on my bike, took a bike ride, and started realizing that most mornings I could not do this because alcohol the night before made me feel bad. I felt like a new man, I wanted this feeling forever.

It's funny, because I stopped enjoying these things, such as reading, because of alcohol. Then, I started getting unhappy, so I started drinking to make me happy. Now I realize that these hobbies make me more happy and fulfilled more than alcohol ever did. Those were my truly happy times in life, not the drinking, but the fun in the things I enjoy.

I have a full time job now that I hate, and when it was stressful and I come home, I open a beer.

However, I notice the things it does to me. It ruins my sleep quality, I stopped perusing all my hobbies that made me happy, etc. Some people are just better people without it (me). It takes like a 6 pack to get a good buzz for me (strong IPA beer too). So I noticed my tolerance go up, I see the warning signs, and I need to make a change for the better.

My memory is feels cloudy, my judgement is bad, its ruining my health, I''ve gained lots of weight, I'm less functional, I'm dependent on it to cope with stress/have a good time/be more social. I feel like I'm more irritable.

I think AA is too much and not for me, so I haven't though about going there. Maybe if it got really back, but am I thinking about picking up the AA book on my Kindle.

If this is serious for you bro, and you need some support, I am with you 100%, we can mentor each other. You can always PM me. Hell, if you're in the bay area, we can meet for a god damn drink :tongue: JKJK :lol:

Last edited:
It's not a matter of how much you consume, it's a matter of how alcohol consumption affects the rest of your life. Are your finances okay? How are your relationships (parents, siblings, friends, significant others)? Do you miss work due to being hungover? Got any DUIs? Evaluate things like that before taking entering a program.

Finances are as good as they can be considering student loans that have to be repaid (my only source of debt)

Relationship with my mom is great. I have no siblings (I have half brothers and a half sister on my pops side, but they don't count). My friends are with me every step of the way on the drinking stuff. :lol: And based on my tendency to philander, it's best I stay away from having a significant other at this point in life. All in all, my relationships are cool as far as I'm concerned.

I've been late to work before due to hangovers. Not eem gonna lie or make up excuses.

No DUIs at this point.

Still going to check it out tomorrow. Have no intentions of really talking. More so for the listening to stories of those who actually admit to their addiction.

I've worked with people withdrawing from alcohol and that **** is NO JOKE. I was kinda on that "will power" thing until I was educated and saw what they go through first hand. Alcohol addiction is real and I don't wish it on anybody.

I've worked with people withdrawing from alcohol and that **** is NO JOKE. I was kinda on that "will power" thing until I was educated and saw what they go through first hand. Alcohol addiction is real and I don't wish it on anybody.

This is one thing I'm worried about. I'm worried about quitting and it not being easy. I'm afraid of getting night sweats, tremors, etc. I don't think it will happen though because I don't drink every night, maybe like 2-3 times/week, 4-6 beers.

This is one thing I'm worried about. I'm worried about quitting and it not being easy. I'm afraid of getting night sweats, tremors, etc. I don't think it will happen though because I don't drink every night, maybe like 2-3 times/week, 4-6 beers.

Nah you should be good. Folks I met be running through a bottle of liquor a day + beers. They can drink a pint like its a bottle of water :smh:

One dude was so bad they had to take hand sanitizer out his room because he was trying to drink that

No, but if you think that's what you need, get help and talk to a doctor if you can about your drinking habits. Don't underestimate AA if you haven't tried it. Groups do help you realize that other people have the same struggle you have. I've been doing group therapy to get over my depression and it has been helpful to have a few peers I recognize in the same setting who are supportive.

Addictions are a neurochemical problem within the brain where your reward system becomes dependent on that source for pleasure, and you can be predisposed to being addicted to any particular thing. The phrase "will power" does little to stop you when addictions become automatic.

OP, I've seen you around the site a time or 100. You don't seem like a dude with a drinking problem nd sound more just like a normal drinker like me. Work comes first, but I have a few too many on Friday nights. imo, you're fine and while it's your decision to go or not to go, I don't think you need it. If you do go, take your bike and have a nice ride there.

If you ever need to talk, I'm here b. Unless you wanna talk about Gixxers, I don't like those!

You'll be fine. You're not even close to what I'd classify as a heavy drinker.

For your first time you'll want to find a speaker meeting. That's were someone is invited to tell their story. You can sit there and not say a word. They may ask if there's anyone new there and applaud you if you choose to be recognized, but anything you do there is voluntary. I was never big on discussion or study meetings because of social anxiety ( my main trigger by the way). You may hear some things you can relate to. Like for me I had people (other drinkers ) telling me that I wasn't that bad, but I could usually find something in every speakers story that hit home. Bring a couple bucks for the collection, keep an open mind, and take it serious. There're people in there fighting for their lives. And if you do decide to say something, tell the truth. People in the program are very accepting, but they have superhuman BS detectors and they'll call you out on it

I went to about a dozen or so meetings some 10 years ago due to court making me.

The one thing that bothered me the most was how they make it seem like you can't control your addiction without accepting god and religion. I'm sure that helps a lot of ppl, but obviously that approach isn't for everyone. After 1 too many arguments I just stopped going and started signing my own attendance sheet.

Never been addicted to anything in my life, but always been conscious that addiction can also creep up due to bad habits.

I found it was soooo easy to be able to have a drink every day. Lunches, afterwork drinks, evening business meetings, dinners, sports, BBQ's etc. These are all things that I could experience during a week and could easily consume alcohol.

Had some tests done for a new health insurance I was looking at joining, my GGT was embarrassingly high. So right then and there that day I stopped drinking. Been a good few weeks now. I still go out every weekend. I just order ginger ales, lime and soda or something. It's been a good experience, I have pretty much the same amount of fun. Went back again for GGT tests and it dropped dramatically. It's been about a month and a half or so, and I have no real urge to drink. I even hang out with people who are drunk and ordering bottles in front of me and it doesn't affect me at all. I have a liquor cabinet and a wine collection that I don't even care to touch.

I decided that, essentially I know alcohol is poison and I can't keep putting it in my body forever like I'm invincible.

I haven't quit forever all drinking, but I've definitely quit having spirits forever. From now on it's only wine and champagne (I love beer but the gut :smh: ) and even then slow down on the drinks.

Nothing wrong with having fun, but it's also important to know that these things should be enjoyed in moderation...

Back
Top Bottom