Anyone ever committed to staying sober?

If so, how long did you commit? How long did you last?
I've thought about it before...not because I get too drunk and am at risk, but because I worry about my health and the beer gut that I'm developing (I'm 25 btw). Anyone here ever quit drinking to stay in shape, or quit drinking for habitual reasons? If so, how as the experience?

I tried quitting for 3 months, and I only lasted 9 days. 
alien.gif
 I don't want to quit drinking because I'm an alcoholic (although I may be clinically diagnosed as one). I only want to quit drinking to win back my summer body I had last year (no mo).

I'm 22, after my break up way back in september '11 i picked up drinking. I would kill a 30 rack by myself in 4 days or so and i couldn't go without have alcohol. After 3 weeks and a lot of money wasted i decided to clean up my act. That lasted about 3 months until it was my birthday and said **$* it. It cant be done. Just do what a lot of parents do and have a kid to rid you of all of your addictions
grin.gif

Yo Kdawg, how do you handle social gatherings when others around you are buzzing or drunk? Do you tolerate their nonsense?

I know when I'm sober amongst drunks, I get extremely annoyed! I want to tell them to shut up and sometimes I feel like someone else's buzzkill.

!!!! being sober.
Smoke weed

If ya gotta drink, be the weekend warrior.

I've been on probation since january, no smoking for me. I'm 24 btw
Was drinking a lot up untill may. Then realized how much $$$ I was wasting. I drink heineken and crown royal or wild turkey. I live in MI too, we got bottle tax and I hardly ever return cans so a 18 pack was running me like $24. Id drink maybe like 4-5 times a week. Do the math. When I figured out how much $$$ I was spending I said !!!! it. That beer gut becomes a problem too.. I'm sure it dosent help heineken is like 140 cal/beer.. and I can easily smash 18+ smh
So I just said !!!! it, went back to the "weekend warrior" routine. only drank like 3 times last month. I've noticed my tolerence decline too. 1 of the 3 times last month I had like a pint of crown and 4 beers and blacked out lol

I recently got back into working out and what not. So that helps. Just find some sort of hobby. As far as social drinking, I dunno what to tell ya.. be a godsend to ur friends and be the DD for bit lol

Now if I could only kick this gambling addiction lol

I occasionally have a drink and when I do its something that it fruit flavored. Can't do beer. Taste like someone mixed soda water and cigarette ashes.

My Father & Grandfather were both alcoholics. I had my fair share of drinking growing up. So I decided they've drunk enough for me. Haven't had a drop of alcohol in 4 years. Just blaze trees.

Me and my girl decided to not drink for 30 days (bout 2 days in so far
laugh.gif
), ain't nothing wrong with an ocassional drink unless you get hammered every night then you may have a problem.

Also, smoking but not drinking qualifies as sober? (don't come at me bros just asking)

Yea Im taking this month off of drinking...been going kind of hard lately with it so decided to chill a lil...

stopped smoking weed for 3 years after smoking everyday for over 10 , been off the wagon for the last 8 months
30t6p3b.gif

i wanna stop again but i'm caught up in using the boredom excuse , soon enough hopefully .....

I quit doing drugs last month, but I smoked on Tuesday 
ohwell.gif

But I've been off psychedelics for about a month and a half now.

funny i actually gave up drinking for my last semester of college this spring and did it. wasn't that hard for me, but i can see how others would struggle as i have my vices.

the reason i did it was i wanted something to look forward to after i graduated. i had some drinks with a couple friends a few nights after graduation, but i'm contemplating quiting completely. really isn't my thing anymore. good luck OP, hope all works out for you. first month is probably the hardest going out with friends and seeing them having a good time, after that it becomes normal.

I used to drink heavy a couple of years ago because of stress and I wasn't happy in life.  It was getting out of control.  So I decided to not drink for a while and was sober for like 7-8 months.  Even now, I don't really go out for drinks.  Maybe i'll hit up a bar once or twice a month with friends but that's it.

I stopped smoking and drinking for 3 months, then realized I had absolutely no reason to do so. I'm single, no kids, done with school. What I look like not partying??

I understand you're trying to be healthy and all but, you're young. You do have room to play around a bit. At 25 a "beer gut" is not permenant. Don't take your youth for granted.

Wow, surprised that there are others who don't drink. I made a thread a couple of years ago asking who drinks/doesn't drink but I was so ignorant then.From what I've observed in the last couple of years, EVERYONE drinks. It's so sad that it's like a rite of passage and movies like Hangover glorify drinking and "having a good time." It was a complete shock to learn that some of  the shyest and nicest girls I know regularly get wasted at parties, but not it's not a surprise anymore.
I don't drink or smoke btw

Im 26, heavy beer drinker. I found that I started feeling like I NEEDED beer at times, and I was growing the illest gut. I quit drinking a few weeks ago, weekends are hardest, and I cheated once, but I'm proud of myself

Originally Posted by INS

I'm 22, after my break up way back in september '11 i picked up drinking. I would kill a 30 rack by myself in 4 days or so and i couldn't go without have alcohol. After 3 weeks and a lot of money wasted i decided to clean up my act. That lasted about 3 months until it was my birthday and said **$* it. It cant be done. Just do what a lot of parents do and have a kid to rid you of all of your addictions
grin.gif

why did she break up with you??????? and whats her name?? whats her nationality?? what city does she live in??? and how old is she???? 

i only drink if im around females.

i dont smoke at all. I dont care to get high. going to the gym is my high.

thats it.

When my mom passed away almost years ago I developed a habit. I couldnt sleep with out being some what tipsy. I mean I would be up at all hours of the night. My saving grace was I worked out everyday so I really didnt gain weight. But about 6 months ago I realized my body was flat wore out, and I went back to my social drinking. I drink maybe twice a week if I am lucky, and my body feels way better. But OP i recommended the GYM. Its a great place to distract your self, and afterwards you usually dont want to pollute your body after all the hard work you put in.

Dont drink or smoke
Never found any reason to really try it much thru high school 

Back
Top Bottom