Anyone ever committed to staying sober?

I quit for 3 months once. Great feeling waking up sunday morning in a correct state.....

But yeah, i love drinking but luckily i'm vain and a fitness fanatic so i don't drink much now. Couple people have mentioned it already but the gym is probably the best substitute. Health aside, from a paper standpoint i can no longer justify getting wasted and waking up hurt and light of pocket. I'd much rather spend it on a material object than piss it down the drain.

Also when you try and quit 'friends' will probably try and get you to fall off the wagon. Sounds harsh but if they're not supportive it's best you don't have these people in your circle.

If you're worried about putting on weight try switching up what you're drinking. Try sticking to vodka tonics or red wine if you must drink, but try to keep it to a minimum. 
As far as being the only sober one at social gatherings it'll probably suck and be annoying at first, but you'll get used to it. It'll give you a sober view on how stupid and helpless you could look when you get that plastered also

I'm 23 years old and never had a drop of alcohol or ever smoked weed or any other mind altering substance for that matter
laugh.gif

I just never had the temptation to try
laugh.gif

I quit drinking 5yrs ago ....it was getting bad.....i could smash a 30 pack with little to no help....i would drink from the time i woke up till i fell asleep.. all day every day.. whats funny is how much weight you lose and how hungry you actually get when your not on a liquid diet.

I quit when I was in papers and when the doctors said I couldn't for a year after a head injury. Other than that no.

LOL its about not having an addictive personality…. anything is fine in moderation.. self control!

Thinking about it. Quitting bud, it hasn't helped me do anything I want to do. Affects school work because I'm up late. 
I don't like drinking and that's probably why I've stayed away from most parties this year... I just don't see the drinking part of socializing at parties attractive. Plus being around drunk people as the sober person sucks. 

I haven't found anyone really who is straight-edge and chill as hell at the same time. I think that's the key to staying sober, so finding a friend who is on the same path you are is probably the best bet to staying committed.

Originally Posted by majik214

If so, how long did you commit? How long did you last?
I've thought about it before...not because I get too drunk and am at risk, but because I worry about my health and the beer gut that I'm developing (I'm 25 btw). Anyone here ever quit drinking to stay in shape, or quit drinking for habitual reasons? If so, how as the experience?

I tried quitting for 3 months, and I only lasted 9 days. 
alien.gif
 I don't want to quit drinking because I'm an alcoholic (although I may be clinically diagnosed as one). I only want to quit drinking to win back my summer body I had last year (no mo).
I can understand and empathize how you feel.  I've drank alcohol for well over a decade.  My mom would say that beer was better than soda, in that it was more 'natural' in content, as opposed to 'artificial' chemicals in soda.

Anyhow, I was a binge drinker, particularly on weekends.  I would hammer myself with alcohol on Fridays and through out the weekend.  The past few years, it was pretty bad.  I would actually get hammered on weekdays.  Quite a few times, I would feel a hang over from Sunday.  I've experienced the puking thing when I first drank, but have never puked since.  I've experienced black outs, and memory loss before, even almost died.  But none of that stopped me from drinking.

It wasn't until a few months ago where I would up in the ER for another reason.  At that moment, I decided to stop drinking.  I'm good so far.  It's more of a habitual and lifestyle change.

I've never been a hard drinker but I went a few months without drinking at one point. Feels good sometimes to be on the high horse looking down on the drunks making fools of themselves
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

There's was a 6 month period where I was getting trashed damn near everyday. I would drink as soon as I woke up, and through out the day. I've learned to moderate though I keep it to a drink or two every other weekend . I just picked up a hobby to keep me busy which turned out to be lifting at the gym. Keeps me out of trouble and got me in the best shape of my life. It's hard, but I've had a lot of examples in my life that show where that road would have taken me.

Originally Posted by Liban906

I'm 23 years old and never had a drop of alcohol or ever smoked weed or any other mind altering substance for that matter
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Never really drank like that.

Been smoking heavy since I was in 8th grade.

I'm 27 now and decided to take a break from cheefin til the end of the year. I haven't smoked since March 12.

At the end of the day tho, I won't ever be able to really quit smoking til the day I die.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

whats so funny though? 
oh ....

wait

your humble brag

Originally Posted by Wr

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

whats so funny though? 
oh ....

wait

your humble brag
u-mad-jpg.19077

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

you sound real insecure brah

Since I've started drinking - which has been about 6 years - the longest I've been sober was 5 months.

Originally Posted by Wr

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

whats so funny though? 
oh ....

wait

your humble brag
u-mad-jpg.19077

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

you sound real insecure brah
Me...?
insecure.....?

you came into a thread about people dealing with temptation ..

and your reply is

meh....never had to deal with such a thing...temptation.....meh..

along with laugh faces. Yo just seem a little condescending considering what the thread is about. like a sillyputty that bashes inebriation 

Back
Top Bottom