Anyone ever fear that they won't be as successful as their parents in life?

Originally Posted by raptors29

No pressure at all. I will be more successful than them. They were both immigrants.
Lucky you. But at this time I'm at the same level they were in their mid 30s early 40s.

This has never really concerned me. I am way better off than my parents were at this stage in my life. Pops didn't really get to the top of his career ladder until about 50. That is when he started making the big money. At the same time I've never measured up my work success against theirs; I've always been more concerned at raising a better family and living my life to the fullest. There's no way I won't come out ahead on that front.

This has never really concerned me. I am way better off than my parents were at this stage in my life. Pops didn't really get to the top of his career ladder until about 50. That is when he started making the big money. At the same time I've never measured up my work success against theirs; I've always been more concerned at raising a better family and living my life to the fullest. There's no way I won't come out ahead on that front.

I realized that it's not that they were so successful that i'm not gonna match up to. It's their ability to hustle. I think my real reason for making this thread was because I envied their hustling ability.

I realized that it's not that they were so successful that i'm not gonna match up to. It's their ability to hustle. I think my real reason for making this thread was because I envied their hustling ability.

as long as ur happy it shouldnt matter how succesful u are, happiness>success

as long as ur happy it shouldnt matter how succesful u are, happiness>success

i wish i had this problem.. is the exact opposite with me, i look down at my parents for being as lazy and unsuccessful as they are in this liftime 
30t6p3b.gif

i mean, they had me at a young age and all, but i didnt ask for it, shoulda wore a rubber jack... and they carry the same attitude with them til this day, instant gratification and living for the moment, no future planning what so ever

there famous quotes "we'll cross that bridge when we get to it"

o yea my dad, my pops has been smoking weed EVERYDAY for a good 20+ years, that should give u pretty good idea of what im dealing with

thank god for rappers like jay-z & curren$y, prolly the only reason im such the WINNER that i am right now

i wish i had this problem.. is the exact opposite with me, i look down at my parents for being as lazy and unsuccessful as they are in this liftime 
30t6p3b.gif

i mean, they had me at a young age and all, but i didnt ask for it, shoulda wore a rubber jack... and they carry the same attitude with them til this day, instant gratification and living for the moment, no future planning what so ever

there famous quotes "we'll cross that bridge when we get to it"

o yea my dad, my pops has been smoking weed EVERYDAY for a good 20+ years, that should give u pretty good idea of what im dealing with

thank god for rappers like jay-z & curren$y, prolly the only reason im such the WINNER that i am right now

Originally Posted by ricky409

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

Both of my parents are just hustlers to the bone.  The both came over to nyc from the guyana in the early 70's, worked factory jobs until the 90's but in that time they stacked paper, bought some real estate, bought stocks, became managers now their just sitting pretty.  My mom moreso than my father but it just amazes me how both of them were able to just come to this country broke, little education, and just parlay that into taking some risks and benefiting from it.
Now me...college educated, hopefully admitted to grad school next year, hopefully have a career started in 3-4 years from now.  It's a definitely safer route but besides slangin kicks, clothes, and other odd ball items on the side...I really don't think I could ever be able to hustle like my parents.  

I think because they came to this country with their back to the walls, it made them into hustlers/survivors.
Perfectly said. Close thread
Thoughts?
maybe you just feel like that cuz they pioneered...

coming to a new country and raising a college educated son seems more tough than being said kid.

but they did this so that you could have a better life to achieve more.

dont look at it as "i cant be like them" unless you want to go to another country and start over.

instead, thank them, appreciate them, and be the best person you can be.

cuz that will make their hard work pay off.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by ricky409

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

Both of my parents are just hustlers to the bone.  The both came over to nyc from the guyana in the early 70's, worked factory jobs until the 90's but in that time they stacked paper, bought some real estate, bought stocks, became managers now their just sitting pretty.  My mom moreso than my father but it just amazes me how both of them were able to just come to this country broke, little education, and just parlay that into taking some risks and benefiting from it.
Now me...college educated, hopefully admitted to grad school next year, hopefully have a career started in 3-4 years from now.  It's a definitely safer route but besides slangin kicks, clothes, and other odd ball items on the side...I really don't think I could ever be able to hustle like my parents.  

I think because they came to this country with their back to the walls, it made them into hustlers/survivors.
Perfectly said. Close thread
Thoughts?
maybe you just feel like that cuz they pioneered...

coming to a new country and raising a college educated son seems more tough than being said kid.

but they did this so that you could have a better life to achieve more.

dont look at it as "i cant be like them" unless you want to go to another country and start over.

instead, thank them, appreciate them, and be the best person you can be.

cuz that will make their hard work pay off.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Thankfully, my parents set the bar real low for me

Fellow Guyanese here as well. My fam be making Guyanese like your parents look bad
laugh.gif

Thankfully, my parents set the bar real low for me

Fellow Guyanese here as well. My fam be making Guyanese like your parents look bad
laugh.gif

My father and moms came up here in 1991. In those 20 years, my moms has gotten a masters, and is a school teacher, my pops had a pretty comfortable job with the government in Trinidad and we would been good down there. They had a bigger picture in mind and has eventually started his own business.
We own several business' and property here in bklyn.

Back home we also own several apartment properties and land.

That was only a brief synopsis, but it was a long road to get those things.
Now the pressure is on to take what they have and add my own to the legacy. I'm only 22 but I feel like I have so much to live up to and at the same time create my own legacy.

We will see.

My father and moms came up here in 1991. In those 20 years, my moms has gotten a masters, and is a school teacher, my pops had a pretty comfortable job with the government in Trinidad and we would been good down there. They had a bigger picture in mind and has eventually started his own business.
We own several business' and property here in bklyn.

Back home we also own several apartment properties and land.

That was only a brief synopsis, but it was a long road to get those things.
Now the pressure is on to take what they have and add my own to the legacy. I'm only 22 but I feel like I have so much to live up to and at the same time create my own legacy.

We will see.

I hope someday I will make it but theres always that fear of getting stuck especially in todays world. You got people with degrees that cant get a job and people dam near 30 in community college still wondering, what to do. Its scary but I guess we all gotta get through it.

My dad came to america in the 80s and grinded his @%% off to get to the top of his class for me, my mom, and older brother in the early 90s. Now taking the same route as him brings pressure but I see it as a bullseye behind his head to pass him up. Way easier said than done..

I hope someday I will make it but theres always that fear of getting stuck especially in todays world. You got people with degrees that cant get a job and people dam near 30 in community college still wondering, what to do. Its scary but I guess we all gotta get through it.

My dad came to america in the 80s and grinded his @%% off to get to the top of his class for me, my mom, and older brother in the early 90s. Now taking the same route as him brings pressure but I see it as a bullseye behind his head to pass him up. Way easier said than done..

hell yeah man i dont care what people say man coming to a country and going from sleeping to a one bedroom apartment in south central. To owning 4 houses at 44 and 50 and two already being paid for. but this has made me wanna hustle more and at this point ive saved money to the point once i start a career buying my first house should be a breeze.

thanks to mom and pops!

hell yeah man i dont care what people say man coming to a country and going from sleeping to a one bedroom apartment in south central. To owning 4 houses at 44 and 50 and two already being paid for. but this has made me wanna hustle more and at this point ive saved money to the point once i start a career buying my first house should be a breeze.

thanks to mom and pops!

yea dude

my dad and mother came 31 years ago, my dad worked his %$$ of in construction/asbestos and my mom in a sewing factory; they or well my dad built a laundry,bakery, and restaurant over the years with his friends he made in a construction company and now we own 4 houses putting me and my 3 other brother's in college, 1 already got out 10years ago-he has his own house as well.

Its just the overwhelming fact that i wont be able to make not even half of what they did, it kind of $%!$$ with me mentally. My dad knows the pressure on us, as his family in his native country are well-off as well, thanks to his father(my grandfather); he always tells us that it was way easier for anyone to make money and have something back then, he said there was a job to do everywhere and for anyone that lived during that period 70s-80s and are poor/financially unstable now, its because they were lazy/dumb decisions were made.

yea dude

my dad and mother came 31 years ago, my dad worked his %$$ of in construction/asbestos and my mom in a sewing factory; they or well my dad built a laundry,bakery, and restaurant over the years with his friends he made in a construction company and now we own 4 houses putting me and my 3 other brother's in college, 1 already got out 10years ago-he has his own house as well.

Its just the overwhelming fact that i wont be able to make not even half of what they did, it kind of $%!$$ with me mentally. My dad knows the pressure on us, as his family in his native country are well-off as well, thanks to his father(my grandfather); he always tells us that it was way easier for anyone to make money and have something back then, he said there was a job to do everywhere and for anyone that lived during that period 70s-80s and are poor/financially unstable now, its because they were lazy/dumb decisions were made.

Back
Top Bottom