Anyone ever get a CT scan?

Got one tomorrow bros, with dye. Read some bad stuff about the dye causing allergic reactions

Its for kidney stones.

Obv i dont know your whole history but a non con ct is good for looking for renal calculi.

I got it done when there were problems with my appendix and they had to remove it. the dye tasted like ... I don't know. metal? and the texture was really nasty . was like thick bathtub water. just gunky n weird.\

con = contrast

non con = non contrast

:smh:

Last edited:
I got it done when there were problems with my appendix and they had to remove it. the dye tasted like ... I don't know. metal? and the texture was really nasty . was like thick bathtub water. just gunky n weird.\

con = contrast

non con = non contrast

:smh:

Im guessing you took the dye as opposed to through IV?

Im just nervous with taking it through IV or getting some kind of reaction. I dont have any allergies otherwise.

Im guessing you took the dye as opposed to through IV?

Im just nervous with taking it through IV or getting some kind of reaction. I dont have any allergies otherwise.

forgot, but ask the nurse or doctor. dressing in those gowns is a trip. lol. thr ac makes dem nips hard, and makes the buttocks cool. lol i noticed it keeps da meat down, but when the nurse weara dem low cut V scrubs, da meat gets engaged. jk

ask ur dr.

Lol. I had one before for my foot (MRI). Same machine, no?

Naw MR and CT done with totally different machines although they look similar but totally diff way of acquiring the images. The basics are CT uses ionizing radiation where MR using high strength magnetic fields and radiofrequency pulses.

How did the CT go today?

Last edited:
Pos
Naw MR and CT done with totally different machines although they look similar but totally diff way of acquiring the images. The basics are CT uses ionizing radiation where MR using high strength magnetic fields and radiofrequency pulses.

How did the CT go today?

Postponed til Monday.

Mom wanted to tag along since she had a bad experience when she had her CT done with dye.

Was badly prepared for it anyway, forgot you coudnt eat or drink 4 hours before the exam and I just had a sandwich and coffee around 3 (appt was 4:15). :lol:

Last edited:
I'm a CT Tech and if they're just trying to rule out stones, we normally do it without contrast. Like UTVOL23 said, if they are using contrast, they are probably trying to look at your other organs.

Also, typically, if there is a reaction, it's very mild such as itching or getting hives shortly after.

Edit: Forgot to mention, so that you don't freak out. About 15-20 seconds into the injection of the contrast, you'll start to feel a warm sensation go through your body. It'll start from your throat and just go all the way down to your bladder and usually lasts for just about a minute or two. You also might get a metallic taste in your mouth, like one of the posters mentioned above. Some people get that taste and some don't. It just depends on the person.

As for fasting, that's mainly done so that the patient doesn't vomit from the contrast.

Anyway, good luck with your study. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll try to help.

Last edited:
Are you allergic to dye or shellfish? If not you should be fine. Drink lots of water after to flush the dye out. Good luck.

My grandmother had it done and she shriek out loud...broke my heart.

She was good tho.

I'm a CT Tech and if they're just trying to rule out stones, we normally do it without contrast. Like UTVOL23 said, if they are using contrast, they are probably trying to look at your other organs.

Also, typically, if there is a reaction, it's very mild such as itching or getting hives shortly after.

Edit: Forgot to mention, so that you don't freak out. About 15-20 seconds into the injection of the contrast, you'll start to feel a warm sensation go through your body. It'll start from your throat and just go all the way down to your bladder and usually lasts for just about a minute or two. You also might get a metallic taste in your mouth, like one of the posters mentioned above. Some people get that taste and some don't. It just depends on the person.

As for fasting, that's mainly done so that the patient doesn't vomit from the contrast.

Anyway, good luck with your study. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll try to help.

Yeah my urologist is suspecting stones thats causing my frequent urination. Thats the only symptom I have but I have passed a stone before and my mom is actually due for surgery to remove her stones so the doc wants to make sure. Im assuming he wants contrast to make sure there isnt anythjng else causing it that isnt a stone. From experience, know anything that might cause the freq. urination? Repped though.

Yeah my urologist is suspecting stones thats causing my frequent urination. Thats the only symptom I have but I have passed a stone before and my mom is actually due for surgery to remove her stones so the doc wants to make sure. Im assuming he wants contrast to make sure there isnt anythjng else causing it that isnt a stone. From experience, know anything that might cause the freq. urination? Repped though.

u passed a stone? like did u actually pee it out?

If a urologist is ordering he will be well versed in what he is looking for and understand the diff between noncontrasted or contrasted.

Last edited:

I've passed over a dozen stones since my first in 1999. At the first of the year I had to have one busted up because I couldn't pass it on my own. Frequent urination has never been an issue except after all the liquid I drink to help pass them. The feeling of needing to go and not being able to, THAT is a symptom I deal with from a stone....until it moves that is.

u passed a stone? like did u actually pee it out?

Yep, funny thing is that it really didnt hurt. I only remember a couple times where I had pain on my side.

My urologist said so far in fine, urinalysis and blood works were fine, ultrasoubd was fine, prostate is fine, bladder looks ok. Next logical thing is kidneys, which hes investigating cause of history of stones but I guess he rather just do a CR scan with contrast just to knock it all out in one shot for anything were missing.

He said something how frequent urination might not be a symptom of a problem, but may be the actual problem. Or it may be all mental or caused from stress but we'll see. The body works in weird ways. Ive only gotten this freq. urination from losing all this weight. Lost 50lbs since last summer. Never had so many health problems when I was fat. :lol: freq urination, back pains, knee pains, etc.

CT scans are wack. I've had 3 and really regret it.

They can have 100 to 1,000 more times the radiation of an x-ray.

So mad I got not one but three. I'm positive I'm gonna get cancer eventually.

The dye is the least of your worries. It's just iodine; it's actually good since most of us are deficient.

Eat a bunch of seaweed before and after the procedure to fend off the radiation. 

The first CT I had on my head and I wasn't educated on the dangers of radiation. The other two I had to bite the bullet because I'm a hypochondriac and wanted to know exactly what was going on in my body. A CT scan cost me $200 where as an MRI was like $1200. I had no choice. I had to know for certain I didn't have tumors. The funny thing is after my doctor told me on the phone the normal findings of my third CT scan, I punched the wall in disappointment lol. I wanted there to be something instead of taking all that radiation for nothing. 

Good luck. I hope it's nothing serious.

Lol 3 isnt many. Obv you want to avoid having them but that is nothing to worry about.

Dont get cts" just to know ñyou will wind up having something incidental being found that requires follow up

Last edited:

Sorry man I'm not sure what might be causing your urination issue but since the order is from an actual urologist im sure you are in good hands as far as having the correct study ordered.

Anyway try not to be too worried about the contrast injection. It's very rare that I've seen people have an allergic reaction to it. Just remember that once they inject, you'll feel a warm to hot sensation go thru your body and will last for about a minute or two. It's a normal feeling from the contrast so don't freak out. Good luck man.

Yep, funny thing is that it really didnt hurt. I only remember a couple times where I had pain on my side.

My urologist said so far in fine, urinalysis and blood works were fine, ultrasoubd was fine, prostate is fine, bladder looks ok. Next logical thing is kidneys, which hes investigating cause of history of stones but I guess he rather just do a CR scan with contrast just to knock it all out in one shot for anything were missing.

He said something how frequent urination might not be a symptom of a problem, but may be the actual problem. Or it may be all mental or caused from stress but we'll see. The body works in weird ways. Ive only gotten this freq. urination from losing all this weight. Lost 50lbs since last summer. Never had so many health problems when I was fat.
laugh.gif
freq urination, back pains, knee pains, etc.
Can you please describe in detail about the passing of the stone?  Like did you feel pain, then thought of drinking a lot of water to pass it?  Or was it like, oh look, i passed it stone. no wonder.  Did you take medication?  I've read that sometimes the body just passes w/o knowing (small ones of course). I mean, could you tell you urinated the stone, or not really?

I only ask because I read the pains for this is equivalent to women giving birth.  So yeah, it hurts a guy real bad.

Back
Top Bottom