Anyone ever traveled to Croatia, Slovenia, or East Europe in General?

I need a vacation and would like to get off the beaten path a bit, but not too far off where the language barrier will be an issue. I know that Croatia seems to be a very popular destination these days, and wanted to see if anyone had any insight. Anyone ever been to Dubrovnik, Split, or Hvar Town in Croatia? If not Croatia, anyone have any insight into any other East Euro countries? Thanks

what is your race?

Asian. Is that relevant? Is there a lot of racism against non-whites? I didnt really have any issues with racism when I was in parts of Western Europe. I heard that, if anywhere, France and Germany would probably be the countries with the higher chance of experiencing racism, but I have yet to visit those countries.

I'm sure race issues aren't going to be that bad in the countries that you are planning on visiting, however, I would still be aware of the possibilities of hostility. I would argue that Eastern Europe is a lot more racist than the West, and it's a lot more safer in Western countries. Some places are pretty violent in Eastern Europe, but if you wanna travel...don't let anything stop you.

Anywhere in Europe that has had Russian influence is bound to be horrible race wise. There is a strong presence of white pride in those nations.

I would recommend staying in the most popular cities. Don't want you to experience any danger man.

Last edited:
Eastern Europe is kinda scary and you might run into some racist people. I mean it is pretty homogeneous in terms of race and still very backwards (due to Soviet oppression.) Not sure why you want to go there. You could try somewhere safer, but if you're looking for an adventure stay safe.

Like mentioned, Czech Republic might be relatively safer. Also Italy, but that's kind of to the southeast.

Last edited:
I was just looking for somewhere where i'll get better bang for my buck while also being able to explore an old city/town without hordes of other tourists. In Italy, I was totally turned off by Rome and Venice. Both cities seem like friggin Disneyland. I'd like something with a bit more authentic feel to it, but not so much so that I wont be able to get by with just English and hand/body language.

I was originally considering Prague and Bratislava, since I heard it has a good balance of being tourist friendly without the overkill, but I got a thing for beaches/water and wanted to be close to a seaside area.

Come to think of it, every person that I've spoken to who said that Croatia was awesome, happened to be white. hmmmm

I was just looking for somewhere where i'll get better bang for my buck while also being able to explore an old city/town without hordes of other tourists. In Italy, I was totally turned off by Rome and Venice. Both cities seem like friggin Disneyland. I'd like something with a bit more authentic feel to it, but not so much so that I wont be able to get by with just English and hand/body language.
I was originally considering Prague and Bratislava, since I heard it has a good balance of being tourist friendly without the overkill, but I got a thing for beaches/water and wanted to be close to a seaside area.
Come to think of it, every person that I've spoken to who said that Croatia was awesome, happened to be white. hmmmm

aren't u korean though? lolz

del ray too boring for you? how much are you looking at? and how are the tickets and commute? is it a one way direct? I figured you have to actually transfer or something?

i think the hostility might be towards other whites like yankees (americans) and with in. but if you're white skin asian and stuff, I don't think there's an issue.

please update. i've always wanted to go to europe, but people said france was nice. as some of said, these areas are old school and while they do have the authentic feel, they are more backwards than what you might see on tv.

aren't u korean though? lolz
del ray too boring for you? how much are you looking at? and how are the tickets and commute? is it a one way direct? I figured you have to actually transfer or something?
i think the hostility might be towards other whites like yankees (americans) and with in. but if you're white skin asian and stuff, I don't think there's an issue.
please update. i've always wanted to go to europe, but people said france was nice. as some of said, these areas are old school and while they do have the authentic feel, they are more backwards than what you might see on tv.

im confused with some of your questions.

yes i am korean. not sure why that is relevant.

im assuming youre referring to where i live when you say del ray. home is not too boring, but i just like to go on vacation and see new stuff.

im pretty sure it wont be a direct flight and ill have to change planes at either JFK or Hartsfield Atlanta or something before making it across the Atlantic since I am coming from LA. Ticket prices will probably run around $1,000-1,300 or so round trip

Sure I live in this area.

Hmmm, Croatia's great. I don't think you should be scared of racism at all, because I the cities your listed are all full of tourists. So no one really cares, although the tourists are mostly europeans. But people speak English and are generally friendly. Great place btw, beautiful country, the more south you go the prettier, I suppose and those cities are all great destinations. Prices will be cheap, really-really when compared to those in the US. And be prepared that the beaches are nice, but pretty much all of them have rocks on the shore instead of sand, I find it mad annoying and painful.

As for other countries, I love Prague, I think it's what a beautiful central European city should look like. Plenty of things to see and do.

Bratislava is a bit more conservative, there you may be confronted with unfriendly people. Citizens are very proud of their national identity and not always in a good way. Not trying to hate, because they aren't alone, unfortunately. But it's still worth a visit, although not as fun as Prague.

Hmmm, I'd also recommend Budapest, which I think is very cheap, the tourist attractions and the area surrounding them are very developed and there is plenty to see here.

Romania's cool as well, depending what part you wan to see of it. Cluj, Bucharest, the mountains are all beautiful.

Slovenia is also amazing, very liberal, although I'd suggest the country if you like hiking and camping, because it's natural gifts are beautiful, however the cities, don't offer as much as other big cities in the region.

Hit me up if you have any other questions.

im confused with some of your questions.
yes i am korean. not sure why that is relevant.
im assuming youre referring to where i live when you say del ray. home is not too boring, but i just like to go on vacation and see new stuff.
im pretty sure it wont be a direct flight and ill have to change planes at either JFK or Hartsfield Atlanta or something before making it across the Atlantic since I am coming from LA. Ticket prices will probably run around $1,000-1,300 or so round trip

LOL. You answered it all.

I think it'll be good that you go, but please update what you see and what you decide on. I suppose the area of concern is also on what you have planned, and where you'll be staying, and what you'll do to get around.

I haven't heard of Eurpoe having hostility towards asians. Most of the things I've read garnished around other whites/italians and that type of stuff. Still, the 'Hostel' thing is creepy. hahha

One of my good friends is from Slovenia and is actually there right now for Summer vacation with his family. His family lives over there and he's here for foreign exchange student.

Always showing me pics of over there and it looks beautiful.

i've worked with and been friends with a lot of Romanian's and they're always showing me pictures and talking about how beautiful it is there. i'd love to check it out one day. Romanian chicks are :nthat:. my boy is serbian from belgrade and lived in the hood there. always telling me all these crazy *** stories :lol:. seems like you can get away with a lot more stuff there.

Sure I live in this area.
Hmmm, Croatia's great. I don't think you should be scared of racism at all, because I the cities your listed are all full of tourists. So no one really cares, although the tourists are mostly europeans. But people speak English and are generally friendly. Great place btw, beautiful country, the more south you go the prettier, I suppose and those cities are all great destinations. Prices will be cheap, really-really when compared to those in the US. And be prepared that the beaches are nice, but pretty much all of them have rocks on the shore instead of sand, I find it mad annoying and painful.
As for other countries, I love Prague, I think it's what a beautiful central European city should look like. Plenty of things to see and do.
Bratislava is a bit more conservative, there you may be confronted with unfriendly people. Citizens are very proud of their national identity and not always in a good way. Not trying to hate, because they aren't alone, unfortunately. But it's still worth a visit, although not as fun as Prague.
Hmmm, I'd also recommend Budapest, which I think is very cheap, the tourist attractions and the area surrounding them are very developed and there is plenty to see here.
Romania's cool as well, depending what part you wan to see of it. Cluj, Bucharest, the mountains are all beautiful.
Slovenia is also amazing, very liberal, although I'd suggest the country if you like hiking and camping, because it's natural gifts are beautiful, however the cities, don't offer as much as other big cities in the region.
Hit me up if you have any other questions.

hmmm might have to consider doing Prague with all the high praise.

Within Croatia itself, are there specific cities or regions that are more "must see" than others? Would I be missing much if I chose to only see Dubrovnik and skipped Split? Granted, I'm gettin to that stage in life where I cant party as hard as before, but how are the parties in Hvar? Is it worth the trek?

Poland. I want to go so badly. One of my close friends is from there.

Have you thought about Austria ? I remember going to a city there while I was on a tour . It was surrounded by mountains looked beautiful not MANY tourists .

Within Croatia itself, are there specific cities or regions that are more "must see" than others? 
I remember seeing Game of Thrones Behind the Scenes, and they did filming on the southern Croatian coast, and it looked beautiful so maybe you can check that out.
Have you thought about Austria ? I remember going to a city there while I was on a tour . It was surrounded by mountains looked beautiful not MANY tourists .
He mentioned Eastern Europe, but if OP is open to exploring central Europe as well, then I would cosign this. Austria and Switzerland may contain the most scenic places in Europe. There's nothing like the Alps anywhere else in the world.

man too much to see too little time.

my biggest issue is with the vacation time. i work in a 2 person dept so it sucks for me to leave my boy hanging and covering my clients for 2+ weeks at a time. At most I will probably have 10 days total so I think I have to limit myself to 2 or 3 cities at most, all within easy travel distance.

You're right by going to Eastern Europe, more fun, less expensive, less likely to feel like Disney Touristland. 

But with only 10 days, I would do Croatia at another time. When you do decide check this out http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=htt...ures/croatia-sailing/one-way-sail&h=kAQHGbmxE

For 10 days in Eastern Europe i would skip Bratislava all together or no more than a half-day. Budapest-Vienna-Prague- maybe a southern Germany city. And Krakow is a night train away from Budapest and Prague. Also, there are plenty of picturesque villages in Austria to explore. Austria is cheaper than Western Euro, but the most expensive in Central/Eastern Euro.

As far as racism, i'm black, I travel a lot. Never felt any racism, anywhere. Maybe, a bit of ignorance and coldness in Czech, Poland, Slovakia, but everywhere else was warming and had swarms of Asian tourist, and a few Indian and African immigrants. Poland with the very least.

Unless you have paper or paying for convenience, I would also find a cheap flight into Dublin, Madrid, London, Paris then flight Ryanaire, Easyjet, or Wizzair out to Eastern Europe. But Vienna, Budapest both have intl airports so it may not be to much of a difference in price. Pack light.

Portugal and Spain are also extremely cheap on the Euro right now.

Last edited:
ill be going to Croatia in sept. Im also interested in the beaches and the waterfalls (see pic) that they have there, not to mention the historical sites.

its a pretty popular destination, not that uncommon either. I'd recommend going to the Ukraine actually, people there are friendly and love foreigners, women might be the best looking in the world, and the only problem you would encounter is if you're Russian and you go to western Ukraine. Odessa is great.

Last edited:
i would deff recommend croatia.

it'll be a great experience. trust me, ive been there plenty times and its truly a vacation.

I've been to Poland and the Czech Republic, and in the bigger cities, I saw a lot of Asian tourists, so I don't think you should experience any problems.

Much like everyone else here added, I can't express enough how much I love Prague. You are going with your wife, so the female thing is not an issue (even though they are amazing), but all of the other factors including the food, architecture, and general atmosphere make it quite possibly my favorite city in the world.

Also, something I think everyone should see is Auschwitz/Birkenau, even though it is out of the way of most cities in Poland. It was really chilling, but I think it is something that I think one should experience if they have the chance to.

Back
Top Bottom