Anyone have certification in AutoCad 2010?

Discussion in 'General' started by osek206, Dec 28, 2009.

1. osek206

osek206

I'm looking to change career fields and have an interest in Autocad and web-design. I'm pretty sure both of these could be learned at home but I'mthinking about going to school to obtain a
    autocad certificate for my foot in the door. I will most likely learn web-designing at home and take some side courses as well. Anyone have experience with oneor both?

2. osek206

osek206

^bump for info[​IMG]

3. heavenlee777

heavenlee777

Is an autocad certification real?
    I don't think you need to go to school for that, i learned autocad my sophomore year in high school for my engineering class.
    Just download it online (the real software costs a crap load), and practice with it.

4. thebachellor

thebachellor Banned

Um... isn't Autocad an engineering/design program? Engineers/builders use it to design blueprints and ideas for structures.

Web design has nothing to do with Autocad. There's coding involved, debugging, and the understanding of several web standards (ex. HTML, Javascript, Flash,etc).

The industry standard program for web design is Adobe Dreamweaver.

EDIT: Thought you were insinuating that they are the same thing. Here's my advice:

Engineering and Computer Science (the fields that Autocad and Dreamweaver fall in to, respectively) are deep fields. What I mean by that is thatyou can't simply "dabble" in either one and expect to get anywhere. There are tons of engineers; and even more coders who pick up a couple of "Java for dummies" books and think they're doing it. I don't know much about engineering, but i'm a computer science major, and webdesign only gets lucrative with experience. Is it possible to learn from home and become successful? Yes... but it's not going to take as quick as youthink it is, trust me.

My suggestion is to pick a field and stick with it. I can't imagine anyone taking on two completely unrelated fields and being successful in both.

5. stylez23

stylez23

autocad is engineering, my pops uses it as a civil engineer.. you may want to look into adobe dreamweaver

6. crumbs

crumbs

dreamweaver with a lot of patience can be learned at home, if your looking for a career in drafting then autocad is necessary for engineering. having worked ina engineering/architecture firm previously i can tell you solely knowing autocad and being a draftsman will not be paying what you think it might. i don'tknow of any position where proficiency in both of those programs would correlate though. freelance would be best i suppose.