Anyone here listen to Utada Hikaru?

She released her 2nd English album, This is the One, on March of this year.� I listened to it and it's very different from her Japanese material. This onehad that American sound to it. Tricky, Stargate were the main producers and Utada doing her own writing.� I read she felt that this was her true Americandebut, as she didn't feel like herself in her first one.� As for This Is The One, I felt if she had released FYI as a single, it would have done very well,although Come Back to Me was great as a first single. Overall, I thought it was a solid effort. Anyone familiar with her, she is super huge in Japan.� Anyway,I can just hope to see more of Utada in the US.

I'm hearing she has sort of disappeared from the media just a couple of months after TITO released and I think it's most likely beacuse it bombed inthe US. She must be having a difficult time. She should have released another single like FYI. 2009 isn't over yet.

There ya go. Yeah, it was originally called a Japanese song called Hikaru and so she wrote an English version with entirely different lyrics called Simple andClean and that was pretty much the main promotional song of KH. It's the song that got me hooked in the first place. Great voice.

Hey_

I'd like to hear her stuff.

"Blow My Whistle" was pretty cool on Rush Hour 2 soundtrack.

Julius F. Wrek

she put easy breezy out with her first album...

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I was a huge fan of hers back in my younger, JPop listening days
laugh.gif
I can't see her blowing up here in the US. She's way past her prime in Japan andI don't see how she's going to appeal to an American audience.

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

I was a huge fan of hers back in my younger, JPop listening days
laugh.gif
I can't see her blowing up here in the US. She's way past her prime in Japan and I don't see how she's going to appeal to an American audience.
I can see what you mean. TITO seemed very R&B and that's not her style. She will not overtake Beyonce, who is clearly at the top inR&B now. She should stay true to herself. Hope she doesn't give up..
ohwell.gif

....i made this thread months ago and got no replies

as you can tell from my avy, hikki is the best

Heart station has been on constant repeat, the album and the song....TITO is great, apple and cinnamon and merry christmas mr lawrence

the music from exodus from tito is so different...and in such a good way....

many people are saying that somethign like dirty desire should be the next single, but Utada has been quoted as saying, whatever is the most popular song onitunes will be it, and so far it's apple and cinnamon....but yea heart station is on another level IMO...give it a spin....if you like hikki....i'msure you'd like it too

final distance > distance > mflo remix.... =D
Originally Posted by MC OTAKU

Deep River and First Love
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
embarassed.gif
sick.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Deep River the CD is just awesome imo, letters, sakura drops, traveling, deep river, final distance....in top three utada cd's for me, firstlove is a great song once you translate the lyrics, it's like man she wrote that at 15?...come on now ....
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by ikari XD

she put easy breezy out with her first album...

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
yea true, easy breezy was the most oddball of choices, the melody is great...the FIRST two bars of the chorus are GREAT...but then she goes intoeasy breezy and japaneesy....and it's like
tongue.gif
ohwell.gif
lol

Originally Posted by LoLzTrunkz

There ya go. Yeah, it was originally called a Japanese song called Hikaru and so she wrote an English version with entirely different lyrics called Simple and Clean and that was pretty much the main promotional song of KH. It's the song that got me hooked in the first place. Great voice.
KH 1 - Hikari (light) us=simple and clean
KH 2 - Passion us=Sanctuary before and after battle

and btw she won't do KH3, her manager (her dad) says disney doesn't pay lol, pretty much on how she recorded two versions and got paid forone...sorta.....lol

if i were to make a list of listen to songs....

english

merry christmas mr lawrence FYI
apple and cinnamon
come back to me
devil inside me
you make me want to me a man
kremlin dust

japanese

first love
automatic I (not that II garbage...)
deep river
letters
sakura drops
final distance
distance
ultra blue
keep tryin
and everything off of heart station....lol but particularly
heart station
stay gold
celebrate
flavor of life ballad version

....as you can tell i'm a fan....lol

Originally Posted by daaznfella

and btw she won't do KH3, her manager (her dad) says disney doesn't pay lol, pretty much on how she recorded two versions and got paid for one...sorta.....lol

I just read that on KH3.net
laugh.gif

Sucks tho.
ohwell.gif

BTW, can someone reccomend me some albums by her. Re-listening to Santuary and Simple & Clean made me want to hear hermore.

Also, Passion after battle > Santuary

Originally Posted by DMasta718

Originally Posted by daaznfella

and btw she won't do KH3, her manager (her dad) says disney doesn't pay lol, pretty much on how she recorded two versions and got paid for one...sorta.....lol

I just read that on KH3.net
laugh.gif

Sucks tho.
ohwell.gif

BTW, can someone reccomend me some albums by her. Re-listening to Santuary and Simple & Clean made me want to hear her more.

Also, Passion after battle > Santuary
did you not read my post? i listed a lot of her tracks i felt were must listen tos....

BUT if you wanna do complete cd's....i guess that's different lol

in order of released cds

Cubic U ***
First Love*** 1/2
Distance *** 1/2
Deep River ****
Exodus *** 1/2 (may be higher or lower depending on how you listen to this...very "different" sounds)
Ultra Blue ****
Heart Station **** 1/2 (fav cd)
This is the one **** (biased lol)

I really like how much emotion she sings with. First Love and Final Distance are 2 of my favorite Japanese songs
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by ldea

I really like how much emotion she sings with. First Love and Final Distance are 2 of my favorite Japanese songs
pimp.gif
its what i tell my wife, i mean no i don't understand japanese that well...maybe about 8%.....but when you listen to her emotion, and range?and her live stuff and how GOOD it sounds LIVE....get outta here lol

for others, check out her "Utada United" concert....great show imo
eek.gif

for a real response for you, first love got constant play from me the year i copped it. automatic was her first single right? absolutely bodied that song. canyou keep a secret and deep river were solid too...then that usa release came and it was trash. maybe ill give this one a listen.

yea this is the one is super pop/mainstream type music, but you HAVE to love merry christmas mr. lawrence....that comes on and does no get skipped at all

i forgot about the utada timbo collab, exodus 04, there is an interview with timbo goin "utada is the best man, can't get no better"....this is2004 timbo when he was all middle eastern beats lol

Glad to see some Utada fans in here. I also saw one of the avys. She is quite geeky when it comes to Tetris, no? My kinda girl.
pimp.gif

graduated from the same high school as she did
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
(so did thelma aoyama and may g, dont know if you know them but they r pretty big here)

Back
Top Bottom