Anyone majoring in Engineering?

Im a Sophomore and I am majoring is Psychology. Im slowly starting to think that that is a stupid major, even though I want to be a therapist. And even then, I find myself questioning if I even want to do that.

Im really into architecture and buildings and I think designing and building buildings and things of that nature would be something I would absolutely love.

So for you engineering majors or I guess to be more specific those of you who are going to school to for Architectural Engineerin, how do you like it?

Architecture is a great field, except you better love what you do cause you'll be working way more than others and the pay is pretty low.

If you just like it, you should think it through. I liked architecture and was going down that path at one point, then I realized I don't like it enough to do it under those conditions.

i took a course on it last summer (im in hs btw) at pratt during the summer.
architecture and civil engineering can get you into similar jobs except
architecture: for more artsy people who like to draw and design (ex. a highrise penthouse)
civil engineering: for people interested in more practical and less artsy stuff (ex. a bridge or dam)

if you're willing to take a risk in the security of your job and go private sector, architectural engineering can be very profitable. I'm civil. I never really had a passion for it and it's hurting me now (can't find a job, among other things). My advice is that you find a specialty you enjoy and milk that. Computers, architecture, car mechanics....engineering is in everything. Just make sure that something is something you can enjoy doing for the next 20-30 years

arc major here

You wont be designing anything as an engineer, thats the architects job. Like scshift said its a lot of work, I barely get a day to rest.

As for engineering, you better be good in math..
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by heavenlee777

Are you good at math and physics?
Not really a deal maker/breaker like some may thing. Yes there is math involved and yes, there are physical science pre-reqs that go above and beyond other majors, but with solid math foundations neither is too hard. Compared to other majors, civil engineering has less math applications i've found. 

Got my undergrad in Electrical Engineering with a focus in Power Systems.  Getting my Master's right now in Electrical Engineering with a focus in Motion Controls.  I got a nice job with grad school paid for.  I tell everybody to go into engineering if they are the slightest bit confused about what they want to do.  Don't get caught up in the difficulty of the math and physics.  All it takes is practice and you can do it. I can't speak on Architectural Engineering but I know if you go Electrical or Computer then you will be in good shape moving forward in this economy.

I've also thought about switching to Engineering (Chemical Engineering).
I am a sophomore too, but I really don't want to do 4 more years of schooling haha.
Such a hard choice because there are so many options
ohwell.gif

Can you afford to be in school forever? If you're already a sophomore and thinking about switching to Architecture, you likely will be.

Originally Posted by The Yes Guy

Can you afford to be in school forever? If you're already a sophomore and thinking about switching to Architecture, you likely will be.
as a sophmore the better part of his coursework thus far has been GEs. I'm sure he can switch and not be affected too greatly

I'm going into my 3rd year of Civil Engineering. if physics/math aren't your strong point, don't think you can get by without it. In my first 2 years, 80% of my classes have applied calculus/physics. But like the other guy said, if you dont mind being in school til youre in your late 20s, be my guest.

I've got a 3.6 GPA as a Bio major (BA) but I've been debating switching to engineering, which would take me another year to graduate (which is stretching it). IDK what I want to go to grad school for (med school is a possibility but I would have to bring the GPA up and study for the MCAT). Med school tuition also isn't favorable either considering the debt load would be a lot.
Dunno what kind of field of engineering I'd want to do. I did well in Chem 121 and okay in Organic chemistry but I'd have to take more classes to complete a chem engineering major and take no fun electives (really wanted to take History of Rock and Roll; thank you Ohio State).

Originally Posted by scshift

Architecture is a great field, except you better love what you do cause you'll be working way more than others and the pay is pretty low.

If you just like it, you should think it through. I liked architecture and was going down that path at one point, then I realized I don't like it enough to do it under those conditions.
Aren't you in high school bro? 
I'm curious just how far down that path you went, but either way there's nothing incorrect about what you said.

OP I majored in architecture in college for a couple of years. Make sure you bout that life. 
laugh.gif

Yea I changed my mind really quickly about engineering. I am not about that life.

Im not into it enough to pursue it. Im just like a fan.

But kinda off topic, do you guys think Psych is a stupid/useless major?

It's not stupid or useless.
But what made you change your mind?
If you really want to do it, you should!
It might be hard, but everything good comes with hard work.

You have to get an advanced degree if you stick with the Psych degree.  Your personal network is key but a social science BS (or BA? idk) doesn't get you far.  Some of my friends are in that forced grad school boat because of no opportunities.

But to answer your question... Yes, I do think Psych is a stupid/useless major.

Originally Posted by So Nyuh Shi Dae

I'm finishing a B.S. and M.S. in biomedical engineering. Engineering sucks.
You picked the hardest engineering field though. 
laugh.gif

Congratulations for making it that far. I know a few people who are suffering with BME as their major.

Originally Posted by SpeakUp23

Yea I changed my mind really quickly about engineering. I am not about that life.

Im not into it enough to pursue it. Im just like a fan.

But kinda off topic, do you guys think Psych is a stupid/useless major?
It's what you make it. Is your degree program for a BS or a BA? i know they differ between schools. It's not a stupid major by any stretch (i for one don't believe in such). You do have limited opportunities for financial success as opposed to a more science based or math based major, but there are costs and benefits involved there. Human Resources eat up Psych majors...that pays relatively well and there's always room to grow

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Originally Posted by scshift

Aren't you in high school bro? 
I'm curious just how far down that path you went, but either way there's nothing incorrect about what you said.

OP I majored in architecture in college for a couple of years. Make sure you bout that life. 
laugh.gif

Yeah I'm about to be a senior next year.

Last summer I took some courses, and connected with people majoring/already majored in the field. Basically I wanted advice on how I should continue moving and what to expect.

I'm going to college for Chemical Engineering.
I'm really good with physics and really good with numbers.

Does that help?

Originally Posted by Dynamic X

Originally Posted by So Nyuh Shi Dae

I'm finishing a B.S. and M.S. in biomedical engineering. Engineering sucks.
You picked the hardest engineering field though. 
laugh.gif

Congratulations for making it that far. I know a few people who are suffering with BME as their major.
Haha, thanks. I'm pretty sure mechanical, chemical, aerospace, and electrical are all more difficult though. BME is kind of just a hybrid of like every other engineering field plus biology.

What about mechanical engineering? I was also looking to get in the engineering field since I think comm is a useless major. But switching to engineering would be a major move for me as i would have to change schools

Graduated in mechanical engineering last year...I'd recommend going into engineering (architectural in your case) as long as you feel you can make a career out of it, and can be prepared for the load of math you'll have to do in school and also at work.

Being good with physics and math will definitely help with engineering, especially going through your theoretical classes. I'm sure there will be lab classes involved that will be more hands-on and you'll likely work in groups and design something. To help prepare to get a job after you graduate, I highly, highly recommend learning every software tool your school has to offer (whether it's different CAD packages or math software...i.e. AutoCAD, Pro/E, Labview, etc. etc.) and getting a good feel for each one, even if it's not part of your classes. As I've been jobhunting and working, I've found that knowing how to use different software tools is far more important to employers than anything else. It's one thing I wish I did more when I was still in school as an engineer.

Back
Top Bottom