anyone on NT a teacher?

specifically in california
nerd.gif

just wondering because i am looking into the profession. i'm a teacher's assistant right now so i know some stuff, but wanted to get more feedback fromothers (besides the teachers i work with).

just want to know what major you chose, grade you're teaching and the pay.

thanks.

Originally Posted by p0tat0 5alad

if I remember correctly, I believe dalitso is a teacher. but don't know where or what grade.

Yeah, Dalisto is a teacher. look for him in the Air Jordan WDYWT in sneaker showcase.

i bet some of those iss tweens be mad cause jrose5 be giving them pushups in pe and after a long day he comes here and lays down the law

whoa I been wanting to become a teacher ever since I saw GTO (avy) but I think its nothing like the story and you get paid too little.

I think Jrose is like a substitute teacher or something like that, i feel bad for hisstudents
laugh.gif
smh.gif
.. Besides that idk of anyone else, im in school right now trying to be a teacher
pimp.gif
, 3 and a half years left tho
tired.gif

i studied music and gradutated with a degree in Music in 2000. i am certified K-12 to teach, however, i am currently not a teacher.

i did my student teaching my second to last semester before graduating and realized it was not for me.

too many discipline issues, and not enough teaching going on.

if you plan to teach college, you'll need more schooling and will have to pass the proper certification.

as for the pay, it's horrible starting out. i currently make over $60,000/year not teaching. the teacher i student taught under was making way less thanthat and he had been teaching for 13 years.

My sister is in the final steps of finishing her credential program here in CA. She's been in the classroom in some capacity for close to 7 years now. Payisn't that great, but she loves it. She does get paid a little more than average though because she is bilingual and working for the LA Unified SchoolDistrict. She currently has her own 1st grade class and has taught kindergarten in the past. (She likes working with the younger kids, but believe me sherealizes all kids at any age can be annoying at times.)

I don't know her exact starting salary, but like I said before it's something she loves to do and teaching isn't necessarily something you get intoto become rich. She's had drama with other teachers, but also made really good friends through teaching. Plus you get all major holidays off and greatvacations.

I'll ask her some more specific questions for you and get back to you.

i was thinking of teaching elementary school, specifically between second and fourth grade.

the pay? eh i'm not too worried about that (but it is an issue).

My friend teaches mentally challenged kids (<10 students in the class) and has a teacher's aid. She has a psychology degree and is making between$40,000 and $45,000 a year.

Originally Posted by Frank Quarry

I think Jrose is like a substitute teacher or something like that, i feel bad for his students
laugh.gif
smh.gif
.. Besides that idk of anyone else, im in school right now trying to be a teacher
pimp.gif
, 3 and a half years left tho
tired.gif

smh.gif
laugh.gif

Substitute teacher, wth?

JR5

I thought JRose was PE teacher or Drivers Ed or sumthin like that

If he is a PE teacher I feel sorry for the kids i hear he loads his Dodgeballs with rocks

If he is a PE teacher I feel sorry for the kids i hear he loads his Dodgeballs with rocks
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I was also looking into being a Elementary School Teacher. Even though my major is Sociology and Business, i've had a lot of experiences working as aTeacher's Assistant. The starting salary for teachers in New York City is around $42,000. and After you get your masters degree, it should be around the70,000$ area.

my sister in law's a teacher, head of languages at a hgh school.
85k a year. Apart from that you get a lot o rewards in regards to helping young folks.
you need to get youre head down in those books though .

Originally Posted by chino905

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I was also looking into being a Elementary School Teacher. Even though my major is Sociology and Business, i've had a lot of experiences working as a Teacher's Assistant. The starting salary for teachers in New York City is around $42,000. and After you get your masters degree, it should be around the 70,000$ area.

i asked one of the teachers i help about her major and she said she was a pysch major. she pretty much said the major isn't too big of a deal, youjust have to take the extra classes to get your credential. she teaches first grade too.

After you get your masters degree, it should be around the 70,000$ area.

In NYC??? someone lied to you...you could POTENTIALLY earn 70k as a teacher w. a masters degree, but not starting off. To get to 70k w. a masters degree, youhave to have a few years teaching experience under your belt so you can rise up the pay scale ladder. My dad taught then went into administration (nowretired), but he made real good money towards the end of his run. He had 30+ years service in the school district he worked in. He would always say that thepay may not be what it should, but you are only really working 9 1/2-10 months out of the year so it was hard for him to complain. It's a hard job becausemany of your duties extend to out of the classroom. You have to remember that you are seeing these kids for more hours during the week then what their parentsdo. Not to mention, the constant advice that parents seek from you on issues regarding their children, spouses, etc....He said he heard it all. Someparent-teacher conferences were like "mini" psychiatry sessions due to some of the things that were asked and said. The real reward is seeing thegrowth of your students over the course of the school year, and also how much these kids really look up to you.

I'm a second grade teacher. I love it! It's always funny the first day of school. Parents come in the classroom expecting a woman, then they see ablack guy with braids, they do a double take. I'm used to it already. Teaching is fun, because the kids are sponges. I teach them the necessities, but Iteach them life skills too. I teach them to be independent and think for themselves.

The $$ could be better, but ehhhh....

Pay wise: 38K, plus after school tutoring ~5k, not bad

A lot of my family are teachers, and yes, its the most important and most underpaid job in the world.

I remember a year or so ago I was reading the Philly Inquirer and on the front page there was a feature about a teacher's strike in the council rockdistrict which is a Philly burb, and I said wow out loud literally when I read the median salary was like 90Gs or something like that. The starting salary wasin the 60s.

So moral of the story is teach at a very rich school district and you're good. Also, you've got to like kids/teens or whoever you choose to teachbecause teaching is a really dedication based job.

edit* nike590
laugh.gif

then they see a black guy with braids
Haha that awesome man

Back
Top Bottom