Anyone Start a Website Before?

What's the process like? What do you need to do, how did you get it started, what kind of activity do you get, is it monetized, etc.

Looking to start something, have a domain name I like that's available but dont know what to do after.

I go through Weebly for everything. It's not the cheapest route but I love their customer service. Mine is a personal website though they do support e commerce as well. For domain name registration, email setup (I think I can make up to 10 emails to my website), and the actual hosting service, it costs me$150 per year.

There are cheaper ways if you have the time, ie get the domain name from Go Daddy and register with another provider when they have a promotion like host gator.

I just made a personal site because I wanted a unique email address for my business card for networking purposes. E commerce one is pending. I only update the blog section at the moment since that is its purpose.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm looking to start something more media based. Articles, videos, etc. Don't care too much if it never becomes anything amazing, just want a place to write freely.

Thanks. I'm looking to start something more media based. Articles, videos, etc. Don't care too much if it never becomes anything amazing, just want a place to write freely.
Yeah. I can do that now on my page, vids and pics though I only do pics at the moment. I'm using it as an outlet for writing as well.

I called to inquire at first but they got everything set up for me within 30 mins. I called when I was leaving for work and by the time I parked everyrhing was set. I just had to go edit the website myself and play with the layout and set up my email.

**Raises hand.

Learned how to code (HTML and CSS) when I was college. Had to build a website to showcase my work.

It'll come easy if you set your mind to it.

You can learn the basics at codeacademy.com

Last edited:
Hire someone for cheap at odesk.com for ur coding needs

Some indian dude off there did all my projects for my programming class lol

I made one through Jimdo. Super easy and there were several templates. I didn't need anything fancy though.

Made one through wix.com

Nothing fancy for the free ones. They have a bunch of templates on there you can use. Really simple and easy to use

for what you're saying, you might as well go with wordpress or another similar blogging framework...

so you bought a domain name...next steps (you can google each of these steps to figure out how to do each)...
- purchase hosting
- point your domain name to your hosting provider (nameservers)
- download wordpress
- upload the wordpress files to your hosting provider (i use filezilla or cyberduck)
- create your db (on your hosting account) and link to your wordpress files
- start writing

once you've started writing, you can start talking about monetizing things...most of the time it's little more than just pulling links off of affiliate generator sites

good luck with it!

Like JTPlatinum said go the Wordpress route. A million times easier for what you are doing then learning coding and all that. Just take what JTP said and youtube anything that you need help with.

If you are serious about doing this know that it'll take at least 6mo-1yr to even start monetizing your site. Do it because you love it not because you want to make money.

Buy your Domain ASAP.

I'd recommend Hostgator for hosting. They always run great deals on Holidays.

You can also google free Wordpress themes to get you started.

You can get a decent logo done for $5 on Fiverr.

Learn basic SEO. Once you have that stuff done and are posting regularly PM me and i'll show you how you can start monetizing.

Good luck OP! Start NOW! you'll be glad you did. It's already April.

Glad this thread popped up. I spoke with wj4 wj4 about this a while back and he provided the same positive insight as he did in this thread.

I chose to go with Blue Host for my domain. It came out to something like $70 for the year - including e-mail, support, etc. From there, I fished around for a framework and theme, since I have limited knowledge of coding.

Next was installing WordPress - an absolute MUST if you're looking to do any type of blogging. After that was all said and done, I tinkered around with my theme - added pages, widgets, etc.

Like djmano34 djmano34 said, learning basic SEO will help push your content through to search engines. Beware, it does take a bit of time for this to happen depending on the amount of content you have on your website.

I'm still in the infant stages of getting my blog/website up and running, though feel free to PM me if you have any basic questions.

Im in the process of building a site through Word Press for experience. Got my domain for about $25/yr. It helps if u have experience with html/css and jquery. If not, go with weebly, wix or other sites. U need an outline of your site, almost like you're writing a paper.

What does "installing" wordpress have to do with your own site? I thought wordpress was just a site you could build your own blog.wordspace.com? How does it relate to ebpage created through some other site?

Squarespace>

I know html/css and some javascript. Ended up going with squarespace for my personal site. Domain name is included with yearly subscription. They have amazing CS, and their aesthetic is really clean.

I've used wix, wordpress, behance, and have built sites from scratch. Squarespace has been my favorite experience when it comes to webdesign.

What does "installing" wordpress have to do with your own site? I thought wordpress was just a site you could build your own blog.wordspace.com? How does it relate to ebpage created through some other site?

Once you have your own domain name set-up, depending on the domain you choose, there may be an option to "install" WordPress - meaning you can use WordPress's interface for your blogging. Hope that clears up any confusion.

I'm just gonna work with Wordpress for now. My boss told me to make one weeks ago but I still haven't done it.

I purchased a template from Creative Market; hosting through Dreamhost and use Wordpress for all my needs.  My site isn't flashy but it works for me. SEO integration is made simple via plugins. It's been a fun experience for me (photography/blogging). Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom