Anyone use NAS (Network Attached Storage) in their home?

I hear NAS is more efficient than simply hooking your Hard drive into a Rotuer via usb. Anyone use this in their home set up? I was looking at WD MyCLoud or Seagates option but I hear they aren't all that good but the ones I have seen others recommend cost upwards to 4-600 bucks and seem more suited for small business use.

Have you looked into building one yourself? I've done one before but really didn't have enough streaming media to justify having it. It would be pretty simple to do imo.

D-Link Sharecenter DNS 325
DNS-325_front.png

Had it for years, it's one of the best decisions I made years ago.

Thought about getting one, but my asus router w/ custom firmware and a usb external has been fine for what I needed thus far. If I didn't build one, it would probably be a Synology or QNAP brand NAS.

I use the MyCloud. Its simple. I mainly use it for music or pics. I dont like the music player tho.

I shot you two a PM. I used an old work PC and USB drive to run OS. Worked fine for what I needed. I'm sure there are better ways to setup with server grade hardware but for a barebones NAS it was great.

Is this the only way to stream your personal music library to your phone? 

I'm trying to find alternatives and if I could save some money from paying for a streamed service, I may go that route...But Spotify is convenient lol

Is this the only way to stream your personal music library to your phone? 

I'm trying to find alternatives and if I could save some money from paying for a streamed service, I may go that route...But Spotify is convenient lol

Comsumer NAS are flat rates and come with software to be able to access media from anywhere from any device and send people links to access the media ala dropbox so paying 200 bucks one time vs suscribing to a cloud service like drop box or a music streaming service.

Been thinking about getting one myself. Nothing too elaborate. Maybe a 2bay NAS. I'm a data horder and I refuse to delete anything :lol:

I currently have an old PC doing the trick now, but I want something with a smaller footprint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom