AP ENGLISH Testing Dilmena, what can I do about this man?

Okay, so today was my AP English Language exam. This was one of my three AP tests scheduled, and in my opinion, clearly the easiest.

I have scheduled to take the AP Environmental Science test during a make-up date because I had food poisoning yesterday. I wasn't feeling too well today,but I really did not want the stress of taking two exams so I wanted to go to school to take my English exam today.

I went to the school gymnasium around 8:05-8:10 PST, and the test was already in progress. I could afford the few minutes. When I came in, the female proctorgave me my booklet and a multiple choice sheet and told me to just get started on it.

Basically when time came around, I was shocked that I had filled out barely 32 questions by the time the male college counselor comes into the gymnasiuminforming us that the multiple choice section was over. Well as it turns out, the test started at 7:30! I was completely and honestly dumbfounded, no peer norteacher/adviser informed me about the start time being that early!

I was clearly upset but I tried to keep my cool. The female proctor had no idea what to do because she is new to the school, and relatively young; I'mguessing she thought she would be able to give me extra time, but the college counselor's opinion was paramount. I argued about my situation. His argumentwas that I had already opened the packet, seen questions, and therefore had to submit my packet since I was only a bit late. That was an understatement, seeingas how I was not aware it began at 7:30, I definitely missed more than just a little bit without even knowing it. I don't get that. I guess the test wouldbe similar, but wouldn't the make-up test be a different test?

I kept refusing to fill out my information onto the multiple choice sheet, so he took all my sheets including the unopened essay portion, filled it out himselfwhen I was supposedly unaware with all my information and said "Bye!". He was then instructing me to leave the gym. I told him, "I had notnearly the time permitted for the test, answered maybe half of the questions, I can't even take the makeup test? So I'm just going to fail likethat?", and he said, "No, you're just gonna get a 1, and you're gonna think it's my fault too". He gave me my AP packet booklet.Feeling absolutely horrible, I just had to walk out the gym, with less than 35 minutes spent on the test and a little more than half of the answers filled out,with no essay response.

I definitely recognize my faults, but I feel totally screwed. My AP United States History test was scheduled to started at 8:00 and took a long time takingroll and getting everything prepared, so I thought at most I would be behind maybe 10 minutes at the most, which I felt I could afford. Never was I informedthat the test started at 7:30 at any time. I am still in shock about what just took place minutes ago, I don't want my money to just go down the drainespecially on the exam that I wholeheartedly know is quite easy to me.

I would really appreciate the input on what I can do about my situation.

Originally Posted by Jason23Richardson

I kept refusing to fill out my information onto the multiple choice sheet, so he took all my sheets including the unopened essay portion, filled it out himself when I was supposedly unaware with all my information and said "Bye!". He was then instructing me to leave the gym. I told him, "I had not nearly the time permitted for the test, answered maybe half of the questions, I can't even take the makeup test? So I'm just going to fail like that?", and he said, "No, you're just gonna get a 1, and you're gonna think it's my fault too". He gave me my AP packet booklet. Feeling absolutely horrible, I just had to walk out the gym, with less than 35 minutes spent on the test and a little more than half of the answers filled out, with no essay response.

i'm sorry, but this had me
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

-waystinthyme

First off, when you're informed about the procedures of the AP tests, you KNOW how strict they are about that stuff. The fact that you decided to postponeone test and take the other to give yourself an advantage is evidence that you're well aware of how the system works and how it can be manipulated to youradvantage. I know tons of people that took more than double the AP and IB exams you took with none of that "postpone one for later, just because Ican" stuff and still managed to come away with excellent grades.

So you shouldn't be surprised if there's NOTHING you can do about this. You didn't bother to double check the time of the exam, you opened thepacket, you took the test. That may be enough for them to put you down.

HOWEVER...like I said, there are complex rules regarding the exam, and if I remember correctly, not only do you have to fill out your information on the testpacket, but you also have to place your signature on various places on the booklets. IF your counselor is taking your booklet and FORGING your signature tosubmit it, you cannot let this happen. That's improper procedure (to say the least) and possibly illegal. If he is really filling out your information andforging your signature, take your case to the principal or other overriding official and do whatever it takes to make sure that he does not place your test inthe envelope/box with the other tests. If this means having your boy follow the teacher handling the exams, if this means you have to scream bloody freakingmurder in the hallways, do it. Because once it's left the campus, it's gone, and the only way you can appeal is through the official AP system, whichis probably lengthy and riddled with red tape.

I can't decide whether you're a complete moron or if you just made a simple mistake...but I really think you're more of the former. You had theballs to show up at school to take one test but postpone another? I saw stuff like that backfire on some people and I had no sympathy.

My friends and I were taking 5, 6 or 7 AP/IB tests each in junior and senior year and we made gotdamn sure we know when and where all of them were. Youshould've used the buddy system...it's easy to get disoriented (and a little fried) when you're doing so much at once, so having other people callyou and check up on you and kindly reminding you when stuff is going down really helps keep your stuff on track.

Stop being a baby.

You expect special treatment because your ******ed %$! can't seem to tell time or listen to instructions. Its one thing if half the examinees came in late,its another when you got one dumb %$! strolling in.

I can just tell you are going to do great in real life.

I took mine today too. I think the only thing you can do is cancel your scores. Unless you got at least 30 right and aced your essays I dont think you'llbe getting a 4 or 5. The first couple multiple choice questions were the hardest IMO. If he doesn't have your info and signature it won't count anyway

You came late, it's your fault. At my school they didn't even let kids that came late into the gym. You should be thankful they were as lenient as theywere with you.

Originally Posted by The Yes Guy

You came late, it's your fault. At my school they didn't even let kids that came late into the gym. You should be thankful they were as lenient as they were with you.
This is another point of contention that he can make. I don't know ANY school or proctor who would let a student in and sit down to take atest without asking them if they know what time the test started. OP acknowledges that the proctor was new and she might have known, but again, there's aburden of responsibility on OP to make sure that HE knows what time HIS test starts.

Again, that just highlights exactly why he has no argument. He shouldn't have been given the opportunity to start the test anyway.

How would you not have known it started at 7:30 if there were other students that got there at 7:30already taking the test? These AP guys are no joke, for real. I really doubt they will let you retake it because you will have an unfair advantage plus, itis always your responsibility to know what time each test starts, do not base it off of assumptions.
Off topic, I took both English AP tests when I was in high school and got a 4 and 5. AndEnvironmental Science is nothing to sweat over, honestly, my teacher sucked and I didn't even study but I still got a 4.

aight theres one prob though, THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED TO START AT 7:30!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they have to start at 7 or 8 depending on your time zone, this might be your opportunity to get out of a tight spot. On your student packet and the AP websitethere is contact info for improper procedure, if you can get the point that improper procedure was followed across to college board, you can cancel the scoreand prob take the make ups. Also, he cant fill it out, you have to so thats just further proof.

On a side note I finished MC with 12 minutes to spare, and if they dont like my essay theyre racists, straight up. No details cuz we gotta wait, but ill giveyall an update. Im not lookin for trouble

Based the facts presented, you have no argument.

Take the L, lesson learned in life. You'll make the money back. When you're making 70k right of of college you'll look back and life at things likethis.

At least this didn't happen on your SAT.

Make sure this doesn't happen on standard exams that actually matter in life like the MCAT, LSAT, BAR, FE,PE, etc.

You get a 1 on the AP exam. Take English in college, make the easy A.

The world doesn't revolve around you. You're basically an adult so they'll treat you like one. Don't worry though, doing bad on a testisn't the end of the world.

See, if this kid is ACTUALLY smart and resourceful, he will find a way to get his test grades voided. He was smart enough to try and juke the system and getsome extra spacing between test dates, now let's see if he's smart enough to work the system again to his advantage.

I remember one girl I know got so caught up in studying that she lost track of what day our Calculus BC test was. She went to her normal class for firstperiod, which was band (and not too many people in that class were taking that test, so she had no way of knowing that she was in the wrong class). It was onlyafter someone asked her how the studying was going that she freaked out, picked up all her stuff, and bolted to the gym where we were taking the test.Didn't even bother telling the teacher where she was going
laugh.gif

She busts into the gym about 10 mins after we start, she looks like she's almost in tears. Sits down and finishes the test like a champ. We found out laterthat she got a 4
laugh.gif

Physics was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO easy, only the FR was a lil difficult and I stopped working when we started the whole electricity section of the course lol
Calc was the same, I took AB/BC but number 6, taylor polynomial of e^((x-1)^2) centered around 1 was RIDICULOUS, I dont think ANYONE got that one
English like I said was sooooooooooooooooooooo easy as well
only APUSH was hard, but I had it last semester and didnt prepare myself as well as i should have, prob passed with a 3 cuz i read for like 7 hours the daybefore, but that was it, smh at myself ffor not knowin when ap tests start lol

So how would you guys rank APEC in terms of difficulty compared to all the other tests??

i just took it a few days ago. There's no way i got better than a 2

Back
Top Bottom