Apparently, DeMarcus Cousins draft stock will be hurt by his mental "issues"

this is the same site that compared DeSuck to Mike, but this meds comment came from a "scout."  So take it for what it's worth....it's interesting tho...
nerd.gif

He's still going top 3. 

So why isn't Cousins projected as a top 3 pick? One scout when asked about Cousins chances of going top 5 texted me this (over a week ago):

"No way. mental issues. he is on bigtime meds i hear. not athletic enough for me talent wise also.but he has been great last month..."

That same scout has since stated that he thinks Cousins will probably go "very high" in the draft, but says he wouldn't touch him in the top five for fear of off court issues. But he thinks he could easily go that high depending on what teams find in background checks and the validity of the "meds" rumor.

Coach Calipari has been outspoken about the fact that Cousins is still very immature emotionally. His body language is often extremely immature, showing frustration with teammates when they fail to get him the ball or make mistakes. He also shows an unwillingness to be coached. He has been seen tuning out Coach Cal when he gives him advice during games.

Cousins' cell phone number got out before the Mississippi State game and students bombarded him with calls and texts. At one point during the Mississippi State game Cousins made light of the situation. After converting on a dunk, he raised his hand to his ear as if talking on the phone. Cousins got the last laugh as Kentucky won the game in overtime, and just as important, he didn't get baited into any damaging conduct in response to the rowdy fans.

Cousins has had three separate incidents this year involving throwing elbows (amazingly none of which drew an ejection or suspension for a game). The first was against Louisville (Jan 2nd) as he threw an elbow at Louisville's Jared Swopshire while scrambling on the floor for a loose ball. After Kentucky's loss to South Carolina (Jan 26th), it was reported that Cousins threw "uppercuts" at a South Carolina student as the fans rushed the court. The third was (Jan 30th) against Festus Ezeli as Cousins threw a stiff forearm shiver to the chin of Ezeli. Cousins was also kicked off his Erwin high school team as a sophomore for punching an assistant coach.

Labeled a "thug" by some, Cousins' apparent mean streak is both a positive and a negative. If he can channel it, he can draw from it and use it on the floor. But it could easily derail him if he allows his temper to get the best of him in an on or off court altercation.

Whether or not Cousins can get NBA teams to look past his mental and emotional issues is probably his biggest hurdle, as he's certainly been playing like a top 3 pick on the court.

The original "DC", Derrick Coleman is best remembered for being an immensely talented player that wasted his talent. Hopefully the "New DC" will be able to fulfull his.

Link

Yea go ahead if your top 3...just let him slip by because of his issues.

We'll see next year around this time who's looking real stupid.

These morons on NBADraft.net and DraftExpress have yet to realize that these 'scouts' they speak can feed them bad information intentionally.

To put something out there like that is a joke anyway. Bush league. There is absolutely no need to report a rumor that somebody 'hears' concerning mental health issues. 

this is all news to me.. definitely think he could go anywhere from top3 to slipping all the way to 12.. i am hoping the warriors will be able to grab him to add some size and beef to their roster.

As I said last week, Beasley went 2nd and he had BLATANT mental, emotional and maturity issues. All Cousins has is a nasty mean streak and is a sore loser. Put him with the right coach and vets and he's good to go.

Originally Posted by Ricardo Malta

As I said last week, Beasley went 2nd and he had BLATANT mental, emotional and maturity issues. All Cousins has is a nasty mean streak and is a sore loser. Put him with the right coach and vets and he's good to go.

Yup....

and if the "meds" he's on isn't any more than ritalin for ADD or something along those lines, I'd be real pissed at these reports. 

Cousins still has a lot left to prove to me. I'm pretty interested in seeing how this Kentucky team handles itself in a tournament. There's numerous reports out there about immaturity and such, specifically Cousins and sometimes Wall, and it will be interesting to see which or if any of the core players takes control and makes it clear that he is going to lead the charge.

Unfortunately, while I think Kentucky is an exciting team to watch, I feel they'll be the first #1 seed to get bounced. A lot of guys without experience there...not many contributors on that team aren't freshmen.

I think it's a big deal. You don't want to blow a high draft pick or money on a guy with any kind of issues, whether they be physical, mental, or character.

If Portland misses the playoffs, Pritchard better be hyping up his 'mental issues' until he falls to us.

Originally Posted by Ricardo Malta

Beasley also had arguably the most impressive year we have ever seen from a Freshman player...Dude averaged 26 and 12 and could literally do everything you could ever want from a offensive standpoint.  While I don't believe Cousins has any mental problems, there is a reason you take a shot on a headcase like Beasley aside from taking a shot on a supposed headcase like DeMarcus.

here's the "elbow"
eyes.gif
...notice swophsire's knee?:

any technical foul Cousins has picked up, has been a double technical...one for the opposing player, too.

yes, he's immature...whatever.  the problem isthat he always retaliates.
there is a reason you take a shot on a headcase like Beasley aside from taking a shot on a supposed headcase like DeMarcus.
what's that reason? Beasley was one of the best players of his draft class...as is Cousins.

Cousins problem isn't his mental issues its that he has a real lack of athleticism. I don't see him doing much of anything in the league

I think it's pretty clear the lousville player is fighting for the ball and his leg just happens to move up and hits him on accident

and it was pretty clear watching the game live that cousins was throwing that elbow to do damage

Back
Top Bottom