Apple 2012 keynote : live blog link pg 1

Originally Posted by sreggie101

those new macbooks are fire but that $2200 price is
sick.gif

ima rock out with my 13" core 2 duo mbp for another 8 yrs...dat 10hr battery life
pimp.gif

I got the same type mbp as well, Maybe next year ill copp the retinia mbp when I graduate and move onto my web design carrer.

Originally Posted by buggz05

No iMac
frown.gif

I wanted to say that I am impressed with the new iOS, but it's like 703 said these are overdue features..

Welcome to apple tho won't put out new future till its prefect

Actually there is a Mac Pro update....a very tiny update but yeah. Might be a iMac one afterall

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Apple rolls out updated Mac Pro lineup with faster processors, not much else[/h1]
By Donald Melanson posted Jun 11th 2012 3:39PM

They didn't warrant a mention during the big keynote, but those patiently waiting for an update to the desktop-bound Mac Pro weren't left behind by Apple today. The company has quietly updated the line on its website, bringing a rather modest spec bump to the familiar tower. That includes a single 3.2GHz quad-core Xeon processor on the base $2,499 model, which comes paired with 6GB of RAM and a 1TB hard drive, and a pair of 2.4GHz six-core processors on the higher-end model, which gets 12GB of RAM as standard and the same 1TB hard drive for $3,799. The $2,999 Mac Pro Server will give you 3.2GHz quad-core Xeon with 8GB of RAM and a pair of 1TB hard drives. Notably lacking is the addition of Apple's otherwise standard Thunderbolt ports, or 802.11n WiFi connectivity. You can check out all the options available at the source link below.

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

Originally Posted by omgitswes

The more I think about the more I realize how overpriced these laptops are.
Apple should just license out OSX to other companies so you can bet better features and a better deal. Because that is the only reason I'm buying this thing.

You're right, that IS the only reason you're buying this thing.... and that's exactly how apple wants it. 
Why in the world would they license their OS when they're printing money with their business model. 
Their OS is the the biggest competitive advantage apple has over the market.

Not a jab at you, but this is for people that are wondering why apple doesn't add this or why it didn't have bluray etc.... 
But that's also why they sell the OSX separate... At the conference they said they were selling at $19.99 because they want their OSX in more people's hands. They won't license it to other companies, but they will allow customers to stick their feet in the water...

But it's not just the OSX, it's the architecture of their hardware. PC companies lack quality-control, versus Apple actually having design architecture for their hardware that has performance benefits. So by just having the OSX you're still missing out on quality hardware design.

100 dollar student discount makes it a little better.
Hopefully I can get my dad to go half on this with me, after paying tuition I'm gonna be hurting for a while

i was gonna cop a 15in macbook pro n try to sell my 2010 13in

the new ones are a lil bit too rich for my blood so i think ima get a refurbed one from last year

makes no difference to me
laugh.gif

retina display laptop

but damn i dont wanna pay 2k i wont lie

i might make this a xmas present instead

Originally Posted by Alchemist IQ

I got the same type mbp as well, Maybe next year ill copp the retinia mbp when I graduate and move onto my web design carrer.

No offense but if I could give some advice, I don't see these retina display macs being worth the money for a web design career. Web design uses HTML/CSS and possibly ruby/python/php (if you develop which most designers don't). Plus you'll end up running it off an Amazon EC2 or some server which will handle most of the processing it entails.

Quad core processor, 8gb ram, great SSDs. This is the ferrari of laptops. No need to spend that type of money unless you're writing multithreaded c++ applications that will use it. Don't need the ferrari if the fastest you'll take it is 60. I'm sure most people will disregard this and still spend $2000 for a powerful computer to just browse Facebook on. For 95% of users, this is more than they will ever need.

I've been doing some pretty intensive data processing and I'll probably be sticking with my 2011 i7 macbook air as my laptop for development. Does the job for most python/perl scripts and simple c++ code. If I need more power, it's easier to transfer my files to a much cheaper, faster linux box to run it.

Originally Posted by FDUB

Dang, No New Iphone? I've been eligible for an upgrade for the longest, but oh well. I guess it is worth the wait..  
tired.gif
I'm due for an upgrade too.  I just want to see if the new one will have a bigger screen.  I guess we'll all have to wait until September / October.
I've had this same black macbook for 3-4 years now.  Still working well except for the worn out battery.  Never felt the need to upgrade to one of the newer models they release.  I'll wait until it dies on me.

wow, retina display sounds great. Although I don't know about the 256 GB HDD on the basic model, I mean that isn't a lot and for 2200???? Wow, it is expensive...

^You can easily upgrade the battery through ebay or something.
I also have had my macbook since 08 and the only problem is the worn battery .

I'm also holdin out until this thing is finito .

New MBP looks cool though...

Brace yourselves.. the new iPhone rumors are coming.

Notes-

• New iOS 6 looks great with new maps and facebook integration.. excited for the new call features.
  • Safari getting a fresh update seems nice.
  • Wondering if there are going to be any small changes that they didn't announce for us to find.. they always do.
  • Facetime on network is long overdue, but should be nice (especially if you're on 4S to use the dual antenna capabilities)
  • TURN BY TURN NAVIGATION THANK YOU. (For those who can't wait for that though, there's a free mapquest app that does that already in case you didn't know)
Overall, I'm please.. but will be patiently waiting for new iPhone.
grin.gif

Wheres the 13in?

Does anyone know if your EYES can even see the difference on a "retina" display?

Flash storage
pimp.gif
pretty crazy; totally unexpected

Originally Posted by ItzJono

Wheres the 13in?

Does anyone know if your EYES can even see the difference on a "retina" display?

Flash storage
pimp.gif
pretty crazy; totally unexpected

bro, go get an old iphone and compare it to the iphone 4. theres a difference.

Looks like its gonna be a new MBA for me

Base 13" model should be sufficient

Unless it would be better to get the base MBP and put a steady state HD in there, is that even possible?

What would my best bet be? Im out of school so most HD space would be music, etc..

sick.gif

ima rock out with my 13" core 2 duo mbp for another 8 yrs...dat 10hr battery life
pimp.gif

pimp.gif
 I graduate this week in Web Design... It will be copped this weekend.
Student discount saving me $100 will do nothing more than buy my lady and I dinner this weekend 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by kicksfiend

No offense but if I could give some advice, I don't see these retina display macs being worth the money for a web design career. Web design uses HTML/CSS and possibly ruby/python/php (if you develop which most designers don't). Plus you'll end up running it off an Amazon EC2 or some server which will handle most of the processing it entails.

Quad core processor, 8gb ram, great SSDs. This is the ferrari of laptops. No need to spend that type of money unless you're writing multithreaded c++ applications that will use it. Don't need the ferrari if the fastest you'll take it is 60. I'm sure most people will disregard this and still spend $2000 for a powerful computer to just browse Facebook on. For 95% of users, this is more than they will ever need. 

I've been doing some pretty intensive data processing and I'll probably be sticking with my 2011 i7 macbook air as my laptop for development. Does the job for most python/perl scripts and simple c++ code. If I need more power, it's easier to transfer my files to a much cheaper, faster linux box to run it.

You sir, are on the PRIME list of dudes that I @@#% with. You know your stuff 
pimp.gif

But either way, sometimes you have to treat yourself for the sake of just wanting something. I personally have no Macbook and I've been working with a Toshiba Satellite laptop for the past 4-5 years. Its time for an upgrade, and this laptop + my side Graphic design/Gaming hobbies will come in handy in the long run for me. Hopefully it will take me another 5-6 years down the line before I upgrade again. 

Yo! Actually the student discount for the retina display is 200.
I actually think I'm going to do that. If it stays like this towards the end of the summer.

http://store.apple.com/us-hed/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro/select

1999, for the 2.3 ghz model

edit, nvm you can't upgrade the storage for that model 
frown.gif
eek.gif
 The discount takes it to $2k even? That makes me a little bit happier

And timeout... You dudes can't facetime over 3g? My phone isn't even jailbroken and I can facetime over AT&T's network... 

Does my unlimited data plan have anything to do with that though? Anyone else with unlimited data facetim'ing over 3g/4g? 

I wish I could order this bad boy today, but I have to wait until friday. I might just say f'it and pick one up from the store. 

Originally Posted by PRIME

sick.gif

pimp.gif

pimp.gif
 I graduate this week in Web Design... It will be copped this weekend.
Student discount saving me $100 will do nothing more than buy my lady and I dinner this weekend 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by kicksfiend

You sir, are on the PRIME list of dudes that I @@#% with. You know your stuff 
pimp.gif

But either way, sometimes you have to treat yourself for the sake of just wanting something. I personally have no Macbook and I've been working with a Toshiba Satellite laptop for the past 4-5 years. Its time for an upgrade, and this laptop + my side Graphic design/Gaming hobbies will come in handy in the long run for me. Hopefully it will take me another 5-6 years down the line before I upgrade again. 

Yo! Actually the student discount for the retina display is 200.
I actually think I'm going to do that. If it stays like this towards the end of the summer.

http://store.apple.com/us-hed/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro/select

1999, for the 2.3 ghz model

edit, nvm you can't upgrade the storage for that model 
frown.gif
eek.gif
 The discount takes it to $2k even? That makes me a little bit happier

And timeout... You dudes can't facetime over 3g? My phone isn't even jailbroken and I can facetime over AT&T's network... 

Does my unlimited data plan have anything to do with that though? Anyone else with unlimited data facetim'ing over 3g/4g? 

I wish I could order this bad boy today, but I have to wait until friday. I might just say f'it and pick one up from the store. 

yes i can to but alot of the other cellular providers dont stream data and use phone line at the same time so.... matter of fact facetime w/o wifi has been available ever since the first ios5 update.. which was a good little while ago.

Its nice though.
embarassed.gif
Plus it will be a nice treat to myself
happy.gif

I do agree with you don't need to crazy buggati type laptop for the line of work ill be doing. I have 1st Gen MBP with 2.0ghz core 2 duo and 8gb of ram, once i get a ssd i can get more performance out of it and few more years as well. People who buy the entry level mbp just to browse facebook (my older sister) are wasting their money if they aren't taking the machine to its potential. Like we all know apple appeals to the "LOOK AT ME IM POPULAR, I HAVE A MAC" crowd.

I'll be visting a apple store next week
nerd.gif
(will keep credit card at home)

imo the Air is a very good value.  I don't know how other companies can compete in the ultra-book market.

The Air will be my first Apple computer.  I don't like where Windows 8 is going + you can't beat having the same OS in phone, tablet, laptop & desktop.

I might cop the NEW macbook pro with the student discount. Hell you can even finance it if yall want
laugh.gif

I remember when I bought my 17 inch MBP on Apples refurb area (Unibody 2009) and thinking hell yeah I got a beast of a Machine. Now I am looking at one of the 2011 13 inch machines that is much better and way cheaper than what I paid for the 17inch that has become to big to carry around. I do kinda feel bad though. It is like I am cheating on it. Hahahaha

Back
Top Bottom