Apple Introduced the First iPod 10 Years Ago Today

Steve Jobs introduced the world to the very first iPod 10 years ago today, effectively changing the way we listen to music as well as vastly altering the music industry.

While the iPod was not the first MP3 player, it was the first to catch on among the masses, the first version of the device offering space for 1,000 songs and 10 hours of battery life in a gadget that could fit in your pocket. And a decade later, the term "MP3 player" has nearly been replaced with the word "iPod." 

"If ever there was a product that catalyzed Apple's reason for being, it's this," Apple's late co-founder said shortly after the iPod was released. 

[h3]View SlideshowSee all (12) slides[/h3]

More

To date, Apple has sold more than 300 million iPods, the Telegraphnoted. But the gadget had a slower start when it was first released. At $399, it was expensive. TheBusiness Insider dug up a New York Times article from the day the iPod launched that said "it's a nice feature for Macintosh users, but to the rest of the Windows world, it doesn't make any difference."

It wasn't until 2002, when Apple launched the iTunes Store and a Windows-compatible version of iTunes, that it started to come together, the Telegraph said. By June 2003, Apple had sold one million iPods. Just six months later, sales had reached two million, and by the end of 2004, Apple had sold 10 million iPods. 

Sales of the iPod have slowed, however, as people are increasingly carrying their music on their smartphones. In the fourth quarter of 2010, iPod sales accounted for just 8 percent of Apple's total revenue. As iPhone sales are exploding (Apple sold four million units of the iPhone 4S in its first weekend), Apple could be winding down the iPod. Before Apple's iPhone 4S event, there was evidence circulating that Apple would kill the iPod Classic. Although the device didn't get an update as it usually does in the fall, the iPod won't be going anywhere anytime soon. 

We'll likely hear more about the creation of the game-changing iPod in Walter Isaacson's Steve Jobs biography, which is set to be released on Monday

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2395153,00.asp#fbid=aFDc9aN5a6w

Surprised there wasn't a thread on this yet. 

It's crazy how the iPod's developed over the years. I don't think I know a single person who hasn't owned one at one point in their lives.

Happy 10th Birthday 
pimp.gif

dmn i havent owned a single i anything or equivalents of. off topic whyhellothere: that chick is busted

Call me crazy, but this was quite possibly the biggest invention of the past 10 years. I was blown away when I got my first Ipod, a 20GB Ipod Video.

Happy bday Ipod

I have only ever owned one of those little shuffle units.

Sadly, I owned items like the sony minidisc and thought they were onto something, only for that to never catch up.. They sure struck gold

Had the original nano, and then the first generation itouch. I'm still going strong with the first generation itouch hahaha, but hopefully the next revision is big.

the 1st ipod classic is the first and only ipod i have ever bought..still running strong, battery life sucks @@+ though..

Thanks steve.

160gb iPod Classic plugged up in the whip FTW! Just put the songs on random and let it cook.

iPod changed the way we listen to music forever. I thought I was $#|7 when I got the first iPod.

Just last week I was digging through boxes in the closet and found mine. Used, but
i still have the box and all. Even have a clear, hard plastic case for it...
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Demps

the 1st ipod classic is the first and only ipod i have ever bought..still running strong, battery life sucks @@+ though..

Question... do you keep the backlight really bright and does it stay on for a long time? (are you talking about the "Classic" that came out in 07'?)

Originally Posted by whyhellothere

Originally Posted by mieraviking

off topic whyhellothere: that chick is busted

i'll keep that in mind next time i fap to her
Might she be searchable on certain sites? If so what name might I use to inquire about her? 
nerd.gif

Apple literally killed the mp3 player market. I remember pre-ipod mp3 players like the Rio series and the Nomad Jukeboxs and now its just ipod. Anyone remember when mp3-cd were a viable option...

pre-ipod piracy
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by AyoDun

Originally Posted by whyhellothere

Originally Posted by mieraviking

off topic whyhellothere: that chick is busted

i'll keep that in mind next time i fap to her
Might she be searchable on certain sites? If so what name might I use to inquire about her? 
nerd.gif

nerd.gif

Changed the game completely.  There is no need to update the iPod Classic.  Leave it as is, if you want something bigger just buy an iTouch or iPhone.  I have my entire library in my 120gb classic and just leave it in the car.

Back
Top Bottom