Applying to work at Foot Locker

I've been considering working at Foot Locker and think I'd want to start in the near future and had some questions. Over the last few months I've gotten to know the manager and we're almost friends now so I guess that may help (I wasn't even thinking of working there the first few times we talked so that wasn't the purpose of talking to him). I haven't yet told him I'm interested in working there. I also know a few employees, should I ask tips from employees before asking the manager?

I want to apply for the job in person with the manager, how should I dress to go apply for the job? What should I expect for the interview and I heard there are tests to pass, what sort of tests are they?

I was very confident in getting the job even before I knew the manager, now I almost wouldn't be surprised if he just said "You're hired" as I apply lol.

Thanks

Getting into most FTL stores really is just about who you know.

I've seen them hire "strangers" before but it usually helps to have some kind of in.

Talking to the manager directly is usually a pretty good idea. I wouldn't say you need to dress up when you apply or express interest but it doesn't hurt. It certainly lets them know you are taking it serious. I would definitely dress up for the interview which I believe you would have to have no matter what.

I worked for FTL/ FTA for a couple of years during college. Believe it or not its alot less about knowing shoes and moreso about knowing how to sell things (especially accessories). The "sneakerhead" shoppers are fewer and farer between than most people think. Just treat every customer with respect and you will do fine.

The discount is cool but its not that big a deal now and days considering how much stuff hits sale (at least if you're into Jordan's).

Good Luck OP

There's a foot locker manager in here. He'll chime in soon..lulz

But if you're close to him just tell him that you're planning on applying and wait on his response. Maybe he'll just have you fill out an application and skip the other stuff.

giphy.gif

I've heard of people being given an interview on the spot when they ask to apply and get hired the next day. I wouldn't be surprised if it went down like that so I'll try to keep in mind to be ready for an immediate interview when I go ask the manager. What should I expect in case of an on the spot interview?

I noticed a few times that I've known more about certain products/upcoming releases than some employees know, is there a way I should mention this during an interview without putting down current employees or should I just not mention it?

Definetly let them know.
Employers like guys with knowledge about their field.

I would go as far as to question the manager on their knowledge of sneakers.

Definetly let them know.
Employers like guys with knowledge about their field.

I would go as far as to question the manager on their knowledge of sneakers.

Lol do not do this OP!

Like I said it's more about being a good salesman than it is a sneaker head

I work very PT at a champs like once every 2/3 weeks so I'm basically just there for the discount, I had previous experience in shoes stores so I applied online and went in for an interview and got hired. One thing managers don't really like from stores I've been in is guys eager to talk about shoes as ironic as it is. Throws up a red flag that you'll try to back door stuff, only there for the discount, or some other shady business.

I mean it also seems weird if you start spouting off things about release dates and your knowledge of Jordan's and Yeezy's, that's cool when you're talking to customers but when you're interviewing the manager wants to know you not your knowledge of releases.

I'm curious about the part time schedules they could offer me, would it be a good idea to ask the manager about the schedules they could offer me when I ask him about working there?

Give him information that you are a shoe and clothing expert. Tell him what shoes you have.

Be nice and courteous.

Know that Footlocker is a big company. Be a good person and show the boss and employees

that you have what it takes to make sales for Footlocker and benefit their network group.

Good luck.

Give him information that you are a shoe and clothing expert. Tell him what shoes you have.

Be nice and courteous.

Know that Footlocker is a big company. Be a good person and show the boss and employees

that you have what it takes to make sales for Footlocker and benefit their network group.

Good luck.
Don't give him information about what shoes and clothes you have. Yea they'll ask what your favorite shoe is but tell them and leave it at that.

Don't give him information about what shoes and clothes you have. Yea they'll ask what your favorite shoe is but tell them and leave it at that.

Yeah, I agree. While I've never worked at a sneaker store, I have friends that have worked/managed them and quite honestly it's really less about "how much you know" and more about your interpersonal and selling skills. Things like being dependable, coming into work on time, cleaning up after yourself, etc. mean a lot more in these type of positions than knowing every single release date and what have you. Definitely be upbeat and friendly and do show off your knowledge OP, but also realize that it's just a job.

Just come in, be you. Being knowledgeable DOES help. Coming in with sneakers and athletic clothing is fine as well as a polo, khakis, and sneakers.

Been working at FTL part time for almost 10 years. Started off buying 5-6 pairs a week, they offered me their friends and family discount and employee appreciation... one day I was went to the manager and was like "you might as well just hire me, I'm in here all day, giving you my money, and I know more than your workers lol"

Back
Top Bottom