Applying yourself to books more instead of having fun all of the time

have anyone made this transition.....

you're young living life, single, surrounded by nice looking women and those home boys that just want to hang out and party all of the time...or even if you do things alone, you still go out and have fun more than trying to catch up on math, science, books, history, health issues, the world, etc

basically have you slowed down on going out, playing video games, facebook ,webcam chatting, and other distractions and focused more on just learning about new things..........

I find myself wanting to go to a book store now more than ever, or look up some math equations on the internet, or even sit down and watch the discovery channel, or anything on tv about detective work.......anything educational...maybe because I missed out on last semester of college and I just feel the need to feed my brain again.

I just have that urge to want to learn something new about the world, whether it be about a specific country, the government, science, whatever.

yeah hanging out with your friends is fun, and partying all the time can lead to good stories.....but it feels great when you can engage in a conversation with someone and bring up something that they know nothing about.

ay man I'm right there with you...i gotta cut off some unhealthy habits of mine.

Got to think of future, family etc...

Originally Posted by iLLbanianKid13

ay man I'm right there with you...i gotta cut off some unhealthy habits of mine.

Got to think of future, family etc...

yeah i mean I'm all for going out and having fun, but there's so much more to life....knowledge is definitely power....and I just feel as though I can learn so much and i'm just letting my brain cells go to waste at times.....

I already look intelligent lol, why not apply myself to learn things outside of rap "lyrics" and sports stats".

Actually spent a lot of time in the library my first year out of HS reading classics, economics, history, stat e etc Havent had time in a while

i need to do this. sometimes there is no better feeling than sitting down for a good study session, and killing the test the next day.

i did this from 7th grade until i was a year out for high school. i sometimes feel like i missed out on things, but i dont care because the knowledge i have is something i can give to everyone. 
knowledge and wisdom makes life so much better,not only for yourself, but for everyone around you. And if you know how to use your knowledge, well you can do anything you want. knowledge is power. it might not sink in now, but it's the most powerful weapon out there when combined with wisdom and action.

Originally Posted by do work son

i need to do this. sometimes there is no better feeling than sitting down for a good study session, and killing the test the next day.

man i know exactly what you're talking about, last year in the winter.....was straight killing my bio exams, had to repeat the class cus I played around the first time......

but the second time, i was on it....every test I approached with confidence and did well on every one....

having to check your grade the next day and finding out you passed if a great feeling, hard to describe...it makes you study harder for the next one.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by WaveyJonesLocker

I'm going to start in august
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
i'm talking about outside of the school semester.....like now the summer....in your free time.

agreed OP, I've graduated from HS and this summer I feel like I've done nothing but hang out and do nothing to make myself somewhat smarter. I started reading some good books but sometimes I feel that my friends and entertainment have taken priority and I don't really know how to say no or stop. I think I'll try to give more focus on reading starting tomorrow.
hopefully the upcoming college year will be a fresh start and I'll be extra motivated to learn and apply myself. 

I think I made the transition.
Although it wasn't during my free time, I made a complete 180° turnaround in like a few months during the school year.
I tried cutting myself off from anything distracting, and for like a month I just put myself in solitude so I could really get myself focused.
It worked and now I getting straight A's.

But now for my free time, like I am still down to hang out, but sometimes I feel like hanging out is a waste of time haha.
Although I am in summer school, for my free time I try catching up on books, learning how to program, try and learn French, reteach myself Calculus, and teach myself Functional Groups to prepare myself for Organic Chemistry haha.

Been on the same thing lately but don't think the homies understand or believe me. But rather progress anyday...

Ive begun to get into the groove of this, and honestly, i feel lm unlocking an untapped source of psychologica energy.....feelsgoodman

this semester im going to focus...ive been blessed with the ability to be back in school...despite how much i hate it.

I've been doing this a lot lately, most of my good friends are away for the summer so I've been going to the library and reading a lot, trying to figure out how to start businesses, entrepreneurship,etc.

I don't do the whole facebook/twitter/video games and I don't smoke/drink so I've been pretty focused for the most part.

I dont know what the hell has happened to me. I have seriously watched about 2 hours of television the within the last month. And those
2hours it was mostly news.I have always been a reader but usually after finishing one book I dont pick up another for at least a month now as soon as Im
done with one I find another. My goals for August is to teach myself physics and organic chemistry (well that depends how I did on the final of inorganic chem
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
)

Originally Posted by Cubinican

I dont know what the hell has happened to me. I have seriously watched about 2 hours of television the within the last month. And those
2hours it was mostly news.I have always been a reader but usually after finishing one book I dont pick up another for at least a month now as soon as Im
done with one I find another. My goals for August is to teach myself physics and organic chemistry (well that depends how I did on the final of inorganic chem
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
)

Two different beasts. 
laugh.gif

GL!

I know the feel, as I'm currently going through the same transition. Moved out of my hometown for the spring semester of 2010 to go to school elsewhere. All I do here is go to class, study, and hit the gym. Went out a couple of times when I first got here, but I've stopped doing that. I've started to really focus my attention on getting things done that are important, rather than urgent. And I've just started reading books consistently to just broaden my understanding of life. Nonetheless, it's a good feel.

Originally Posted by kickstart

Originally Posted by Cubinican

laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
)

Two different beasts. 
laugh.gif

GL!

Good luck bro. Chem major right here. Organic is a science unto itself. After I started a relationship I slowed down alot with the partying. I guess it's pretty helpful if your gf is finishing up her major and you're still an undergrad.

Back
Top Bottom