Are anti-graffiti programs a waste of time?

As you know graffiti is pretty dope. But i notice that anti-graffiti programs are "getting up" in a sense. Because i see them more and more everyday. The graffiti culture we live in is very much alive, and it does not seem like it will stop growing. The government and police officers can only do so much. Do you think the government is spending money on something that will not stop?
500it4.jpg

14kv9mo.jpg

35ml1cm.jpg

jt73pz.jpg

FREE GIRAFA

fad9up.jpg

Human nature

but sometimes it's OD, like dudes tagging over murals..... never really happened before and now it's ok I guess

Graffiti deterrent programs can and do work. Businesses who have murals painted on their walls (usually by graffiti artists) are less likely to be tagged. Also, providing a wall (or other designated place) for graffiti artists to do their thing lessens the graffiti in the neighborhood. But, these tactics do not usually work for taggers or gang affiliated graffiti.

Originally Posted by TeamJordan79

theres a difference between graffiti the art and vandalism

whats the difference? Because even tagging like this is art: 
22kmd3.jpg

In NYC, there is a lot LESS "art" graffiti and a lot more "vandalism" graffiti. Granted there are TONS of beautiful artwork all over, the tagging and vandalism is outrageous. I have a store front in Brooklyn, NY and have all but given up cleaning my gate. For businesses and homes, there is something called Graffiti-Free NYC that will come out and acid wash or spray over the graffiti for free....but it just gives them a clean slate to work with all over again. Its a bit of an annoyance in my opinion. The people who do it for the ART should take a stance and help with ousting the vandalism and gang-related graffiti.

Just my opinion of course...

Originally Posted by Str8Hood

In NYC, there is a lot LESS "art" graffiti and a lot more "vandalism" graffiti. Granted there are TONS of beautiful artwork all over, the tagging and vandalism is outrageous. I have a store front in Brooklyn, NY and have all but given up cleaning my gate. For businesses and homes, there is something called Graffiti-Free NYC that will come out and acid wash or spray over the graffiti for free....but it just gives them a clean slate to work with all over again. Its a bit of an annoyance in my opinion. The people who do it for the ART should take a stance and help with ousting the vandalism and gang-related graffiti.

Just my opinion of course...
Gang-related graffiti gets covered up. Well atleast in SF and outer parts of LA where i have been. When we run around the rules my fellow writers use are: tagging over gang graffiti. Gang graffiti is a waste of time, its like an opening to be tagged over. One of the firs things we look for when going over someone. But anyways graffiti tagging in a sense is very important to the ordinary writer. Because it develops the style of art that is used when making a mural or piece. Thats what murals and pieces are: colored tagging. 

Originally Posted by WErunSF

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

22kmd3.jpg
not in my eyes
beauty is in the eyes of the beholder
If that's the case, in my opinion, don't do it on other people's property. 

What I don't understand about graffiti is why it has to be done on other people's walls? I understand it's an art form and certainly can be beautiful, but why do it on property that's not yours? I'm talking mostly about amateur graffiti.

thats where graffiti belongs. it belongs on the streets. It belongs on a long wall in the grimiest part of the city. IT brings out that part of the city and shows its true beauty. My grandmas barber shop was tagged up, and i was pissed. SO i took a picture of the tags that were up there and went to work around the city covering up his/her pieces. But these things happen. graffiti cant be stopped. Anyone can draw on paper. But do you ever look at a skyscraper and say: HOW THE FUDGE DID HE GET UP THERE? IMO

I'd support the programs if its causing vandalism. Ain't nothing worst than going to work and seeing your property vandalized. These little punks think their cool too, naming themselves the orphans, word to the Warriors. But once they see some real action, they run away mad fast.

Lol,i've definitely been the
"how the hell did they get up there" guy.
These programs are definitely a waste though.When kids would tear up rails,benches and steps skateboarding they knew they couldn't just outright stop them,so they built parks (even though there's not a ton of them around).There are some places where they let writers express themselves in an artistic manner,however this is still not and end all be all solution because more seasoned vets will still gravitate toward the mysterious side of the art and opt to remain anonymous.Locking them up isn't the answer either because for every writer you knock,there are a thousand others out there gettin' up at night so good luck with that!
Peace to all the writers though.You make the train rides more enjoyable!

Some of these programs are cool. The Phun Factory in Queens provided a space for artists to paint. But in the end there's nothing like painting illegal walls.

Will it end graffiti, I doubt it.

22kmd3.jpg
Somebody paid good money for that sign. In my opinion that's that same as tagging over that same guy's car.

Originally Posted by JerseyShore

Wow. The best of his years/mind are gone.
tired.gif
the lesson here is..... dont get caught

Originally Posted by kYOUrt

22kmd3.jpg
Somebody paid good money for that sign. In my opinion that's that same as tagging over that same guy's car.
Seriously. Dude over here saying this is art but upset that someone did the same thing to his grandpa's babershop. 

Back
Top Bottom