Are "bandwagon" accusations the new go-to insult for successful teams?

Originally Posted by you go boy

what about those fans who cheer for non local teams because they follow that 1 superstar? like following the lakers or bulls because they got d rose and kobe... but i bet if thoese 2 guys were on garbage teams like the raptors and bobcats nobody would care

Those teams wouldn't be garbage tho...

Originally Posted by RavageBX

@Peteweezy - I don't see what's wrong with supporting your local teams when your favorite teams aren't in it. I don't hate the Mets, Jets, Islanders, etc. They aren't my favorite and sometimes their fans might annoy me but at the end of the day I like anything that sheds a good light on my town so a win from them is welcome.

@First Born - I don't even think my issue is with people being labelled bandwagoners. It just irks me when people try to take shots at my team because there are bandwagon fans. It has so little to do with what's actually important and relevant yet dudes throw it out there with a nice smirk on their face as if they've somehow won the battle while losing the war lol.
I kinda agree but it's annoying when you can't talk trash cause dudes hiding behind the whole city. Do like most cats from Ny or anywhere else pick a team and ride with em.  I wouldn't mind if the Sixers win it all (if they don't beat the Bulls) but I'm not claiming them dudes on no civic pride stuff.  
laugh.gif

I can relate to OP. I live in AZ where it is bandwagon nation. Even a good majority of fans of the local NFL team (The Arizona Cardinals) are bandwagoners as in they only started acting like they cared about the team after their Super Bowl run in 2008. Run into a lot of em who talk noise when in reality; before that SB run, they either were Cowboys fans or didn't claim a team
30t6p3b.gif

I see it all the time here where whoever wins the title that season; these "fans" come out the woodworks. However it gets to a point where the real fans of said teams get unfairly labeled as bandwagon.

A perfect example with me: Due to who my fav teams are; it got awkward when the Giants won the World Series in 2010 and then 8 months later the Mavs won the Finals in 2011
laugh.gif
 b/c a lot of ppl would naturally assume I'm a bandwagoner when in all truth; I've been rooting for both teams ever since I started watching sports as a little kid and stuck with them throughout the lean years. All my friends were gonna be like 
eek.gif
mad.gif

30t6p3b.gif

indifferent.gif
 if the 49ers had ended up making it to and winning the Super Bowl this past playoffs 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by SportsJunkie

I am a Cubs fan.Been that way since I was 12 years old.I am 28 now.I was a Cris Carter fan.So I stuck with the vikings.Isiah Thomas fan,so I stuck with the pistons.i know my teams suck now but we can't be bad forever
What's up Truth?

personally i was "born" into liking the teams i like...like everybody else, lol. its where i'm from and what i grew up with.
a bandwagon fan doesn't bother me but its funny how some ppl let it get to them and feel the need to talk about it so much. who the hell cares. keep it moving and watch the games. bandwagon fans come and go...some stay but most come and go. it is what it is.

I ain't gonna lie, I get on bandwagoners because I am bitter at life. My teams ain't even sniffed a ring. It sucks!

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

Originally Posted by theDEEK

And all the warriors and lakers fans up here jump ship again back to the home team
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
Not me, amigo. It's more like the Kings and Warriors up here jump ship again back and forth on whoever is winning. 

laugh.gif
Kings/Warriors winning
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
frown.gif
Feelss Batman
During the heat of our rivalry, Kings jerseys were all over the place then when the Warriors made the playoffs everyone jumped back on the Warriors. 
laugh.gif

But like I said before, bandwagons tend to follow when teams start winning. It's just the way it is. 

I kinda missed our rivalry, it was fun hating you guys. Just for you bro. 

7219-feels-batman.jpg

I loved that rivalry for the 2 years it was hot
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
You can tell who really were the bandwagoners back then here in Sac now. It's always the 'oh I used to be a Kings fan, you know when they got cheated out of the semi's.' They'll always reminisce about anything Bibby/Webber/Peja/Divac/Christie related and nothing else before or after the Kings teams.
laugh.gif

Someday we'll rise again

I'm also starting to see some life long Knicks fans too who've come out just this past week with nothing but Jeremy Lin posts like he's the next Jordan already.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by do work son

i've always just been a houston fan (astros rockets texans) because it's where im from. people thought i was a bandwagon fan because this year we were actually good. but no, i still rooted when we were 2-14. most of the "bandwagon fans" are more casual sports fans anyways. those who live in a city and get caught up in their teams playoff runs. lol, my parents are bandwagon texans fans. they never really cared about football but because we went to the playoffs this year, my mom went out and got a shirt and started watching games. she don't talk $#% to other people tho

Made it that much sweeter when we did break too. Just wait till the Texans get "that good", you'll see some of those city wide Cowboys fans trading in their Star for the Bull.

Originally Posted by truthmain

I ain't gonna lie, I get on bandwagoners because I am bitter at life. My teams ain't even sniffed a ring. It sucks!
Honest
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Went to a Clips game in 08 (while in LA) and boy were tix cheap, stadium was barely filled too.

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

Originally Posted by SportsJunkie

I am a Cubs fan.Been that way since I was 12 years old.I am 28 now.I was a Cris Carter fan.So I stuck with the vikings.Isiah Thomas fan,so I stuck with the pistons.i know my teams suck now but we can't be bad forever
What's up Truth?

LOL, i am not TRUTH. We just like the same teams.Win,Lose or draw. Cubs,Vikings,Pistons will forever be my teams. 

Originally Posted by truthmain

I feel the same way. I am a Cubs,Vikings,Pistons fan. I hate when bandwagoners come in my face talking about their team. i be like you wasnt a fan when they was sorry. thats a PetPeeve. Bandwagoners.

Listen, I can't stand em I don't even care. Part of being a sports fan is sticking with your sqaud through thick and thin. If my teams ever start balling like crazy best believe Imma call every single bandwagoner out. I've been through too much disappointment for some person who can't even name who's on the roster try to rep my team. Not over here
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

For the record my teams are the Falcons, Sixers, and Louisville Bball and Football

You can be a bandwagon fan all you want I don't even care just KNOW your sport and it's cool with me, if my team sucked (sig check) I don't blame anyone for jumping ship to someone remotely competitive

I'll never leave my Eagles but the Wizards are gonna lose me to the Clippers if they don't clean house soon, I don't care anymore about supporting them

I mean when you are 6/7 years old you will like the teams you see on tv (the case with me) so you can't get around that.
When I got into soccer and the EPL I only knew the bigger teams. I never saw the wigans and fulham type teams so it's hard to become fans of those teams. But sticking with those teams is the key. Not everyone is a fan at birth of certain teams. So everyone is a bandwagon fan at one point.

Originally Posted by RetroBaller

I mean when you are 6/7 years old you will like the teams you see on tv (the case with me) so you can't get around that.
When I got into soccer and the EPL I only knew the bigger teams. I never saw the wigans and fulham type teams so it's hard to become fans of those teams. But sticking with those teams is the key. Not everyone is a fan at birth of certain teams. So everyone is a bandwagon fan at one point.

Agreed, it's all about whether you stick with your team through the lows. I started watching the sixers during the 2000 season and have been one ever since. I def agree that every fan is bandwagon fan at some point (unless you were birthed into your team) but it's people who keep switching that don't get my respect. I mean when the jets went to back to back AFC championships everyone was a jet fan then and now all those same people are repping the giants. No loyalty

Originally Posted by ssjjfar

People still call me a bandwagon fan when they find out I'm a Cowboys fan.
I just lol

yup. makes no sense. we aint won S!!! in YEARS and folks try to call me out. smh

back in 2008 when boston start winning. Everyone was a celtic fan. 2007 and back. I only knew about 3 celtic fans. I be like" When did you become a Boston fan? First thing they say "I been a boston fan since blah blah blah"

Same with the saints. I grow up in Mississippi. People didnt like the saints. Now they are winning, everyone around there a saints fan. I knew only 2 saints fan back then. My uncle and one of my homeboys.

I just don't understand why the @+%* people care why/when someone became a fan? I don't care if someone became a Giants fan Sunday night, that won't make Andy Reid fire Juan Castillo. I'm far more concerned about what my team is up to rather than others and who support them.

The worst is when you get called a bandwagoner even though you have been a fan of that team for years.

Example:

I was born and raised in Miami. Been a Heat fan since they existed. But after they got LeBron and Bosh, now all of a sudden, I'm a "bandwagon rider". So be it.

I got a homeboy that I have known for about 13 years. In those 13 years he has been a die-hard Sixers fan, then Nets fan, then Cavs fan, and now he is a Heat fan. I told him to stay away from my team.

Call it what you want, but in my opinion, if you are a fan of a team simply because they are good, and no other personal connections, then you are a bandwagoner. Sorry.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

I mean, what are you gonna do? Someone wants to say they deserve the Clippers success right now because they suffered through the Loy Vaught era? (just heard a few more 'tenured' Clippers fans run off to google again). You can't approve/disprove them so... it's like that Alonzo Mourning gif. *nod your head a couple times... shrug*

...i find the entire argument completely absurd and extremely childish. 

....you got dudes actually keeping tabs on who can and cannot root for whatever team as if its supposed to mean something. so glad i didnt grow up in a household like this. jesus, out of all things to make a big deal out of 
eyes.gif

Back
Top Bottom