Are Filipinos considered Asian?

Well, we are in Southeast Asia, so that is kind of a given to be called Asian. That's what's taught in schools here. To be honest, I haven't really heard about the Pacific Islander debate until I got here on NT.
laugh.gif

So wait... how are we Pacific Islander again? Is it because: a) we're a group of islands and b) we're in the Pacific Ocean? Are we even remotely close to those islands that people consider Pacific Islanders to be from?
nerd.gif
I have no idea.
laugh.gif

Asians are not only limited to Chinese/Japanese/Vietnamese-looking dudes. They do make a significant number of people here, so that might be the case. Take a look around the Malay region, and you'd see similar features and attributes. But it's not as apparent as the Chinese population all over asia. They seem to be everywhere!
laugh.gif

Do I really care? Not really. I simply just put "Asian" for documentation purposes. Less trouble that way.

And then you have people from Jordan and Kuwait (among others) that's classified into the Asian category for international sporting tournaments. This is a big mess.
laugh.gif

I've come to the conclusion that some people's sole purpose on NT is to troll the same questions every few months.

This, religion, and politics have all been discussed. IF you don't know by know, cotdamnit you just won't know.

I don't think the OP's question is really that ludicrous. If you have any Filipino friends or are Filipino yourselves, you would know that there are some Filipinos out there that have the holier-than-thou attitude towards being called Asian to the point where it offends them and would snap back at you that they "are not Asian, but Pacific Islanders."

Originally Posted by allreds

Some say yes, some say no. What do you guys think? I've been wondering about this for years and I never got a straight answer. Since they have Spanish last names it just throws me off. SRS question by the way.

thats like saying "do white south africans consider themselves african?"

No, but they are definitely annoying. Never go to a Filipino household when there's a Manny fight
laugh.gif

This again?
30t6p3b.gif

Filipinos born and raised in the motherland (literate or illiterate) = Asian
Filipinos raised elsewhere looking for their own identity and refuse to be labeled Asian = Pacific Islanders

Pacific Islander huh ?. In that case i guess Japanese can excuse themselves from being call Asian and consider themselves Pacific Islander too

indifferent.gif
Stop fronting. Filipino = Asian. 

From my experience, 9/10 consider themselves pacific islanders. Asian as a political term has been used to refer to specific countries in the continent of Asia. This is also the reason why people do a double take when Indian's are referred to as asian.

Back
Top Bottom