Are Filipinos considered Asian?

Originally Posted by kingcrux31

Originally Posted by kingcrux31

This again?
30t6p3b.gif

Filipinos born and raised in the motherland (literate or illiterate) = Asian
Filipinos raised elsewhere looking for their own identity and refuse to be labeled Asian = Pacific Islanders
Quoting myself for those lazy to read back.
i asked the filipino people that say they are pacific islander are Japanese pacific islanders too?

What's wrong with being Asian ?
indifferent.gif
Not all Asian have small @%, know Kung Fu , suck at sport and drive Honda
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by i just got lucky

On the same subject..since a HUGE part of Russia and the WHOLE Middle East is in ASIA.

Are they asian as well?  
I don't understand why is there such as big deal about this Pacific Islander vs ASIAN...who cares.  
eyes.gif

To an extent i know that in some regions the people have asian physical features

Originally Posted by Mastamind89

Originally Posted by wHo NicE as HiM

to simply put it, fillipinos are asian the way dominicans are part african...they have taiwanese roots and genetic markers but throughout evolution and cultural change they've developed into their own classification 
philippines is evolutionary miscegenation....just like dominicans, italians, and moors (black arabs) the way

cameron diaz and jessica alba are hispanic...the way the rock is native american, they way mariah carey is white....

in a few million years humans will be mixed in appearance not just blood....there's only 2 pure races on this planet, a tribe of brazilians and a tribe of eskimos
everyone else shares the sames genes.
I'm highlighting this quote for a specific reason.
*getting Method Man response ready*

In B4, "Wall of Text" "TL;DR gifs" whatever...

Cliff notes:

Filipinos are Asian not Pacific Islander (on the basis of geographical identity and not overall cultural/genealogical identification).

Long Answer:

Yes, you can pull the whole "Everyone is mixed but Brazilians, Aboriginese Hawaiians and Eskimos" or "Everyone derives from Africa, end thread." bit but let's look deeper than those two general statements.

Comparing Filipinos to the rest of those genealogical ethnicities you pointed out, the key difference is everyone has a consensus as to who they are. Scholars (or those who are knowledgeable) within the genealogical, anthropological, and cultural means may not be in agreement, but generally speaking they who they are.

Filipinos will sadly be one of those Asian (yeah I said it), ethnicities that will never be outright in agreement. What +**%#+ it all up, was the idea that those who resided in places like Hawaii and Guam (following their root ethnic cultures) gave them a sense of acceptance and assimilation with their surroundings. Hence, compared to other ethnicities Filipinos more or less don't necessarily want to establish who they are. They just like to take whatever the hell is given to them and say "I'm XYZ and yadda yadda yadda." 

Historically speaking Filipinos are traditionally Malay origin and heavily Muslamic and Chinese Influence. Most cultural scholars would agree that the Malays (although of recent some people classify them along side Aboriginese Australianders, which I think I strongly believe is a fallacy). The Chinese influence comes from the fact that many years prior to occupation of both American, Spaniard and (insert whatever ethnicity claims to have made an impact to the country), they have classified much of the islands geographically (aka Luzon deriving from the words Lu Zhong) to the cultural food (Rice, local vegetation, egg rolls aka lumpias etc. etc.) Yes, as an "archipelago" as Bastitch pointed out three years ago, we should be considered "Pacific Islander" for the sake of being PC (Politically Correct). However due to racial stereotypes and pure ignorance those of Taiwanese (Formosan), Malaysian, Japanese (Okinawan) and much more who can also for sake of argument be "Pacific Islander" are technically Asian because they are more "%*%!!# eyed, lighter skin, eat with chopsticks, etc. etc."

Which is why I also don't necessarily agree with Krux... I'm Asian American, but I do not fall under the category he generalized most Filipinos from the U.S. would label themselves as "Pacific Islander." But I digress, it's an uphill battle and if I haven't convinced you than I've said enough. There's other compelling reasons why I believe they're more Asian than Pacific Islander, but I don't need Pacquiao fans or NT'ers trying to snipe me because I'd rather be Jet Li than Fernando Poe Jr. 

/end rant.

As a Filipino myself, I frankly don't care. Can we just say that Filipinos are Asian Islanders and call it quits to discussions?

it's usually the ones that act hella hard and gangster that dont consider themselves Asians, they're also the ones that swear Jay-Z is filipino

Originally Posted by endemic415

it's usually the ones that act hella hard and gangster that dont consider themselves Asians, they're also the ones that swear Jay-Z is filipino

lolwut

was that a joke or there a story behind that

Originally Posted by Mastamind89

Originally Posted by wHo NicE as HiM

to simply put it, fillipinos are asian the way dominicans are part african...they have taiwanese roots and genetic markers but throughout evolution and cultural change they've developed into their own classification 
philippines is evolutionary miscegenation....just like dominicans, italians, and moors (black arabs) the way

cameron diaz and jessica alba are hispanic...the way the rock is native american, they way mariah carey is white....

in a few million years humans will be mixed in appearance not just blood....there's only 2 pure races on this planet, a tribe of brazilians and a tribe of eskimos
everyone else shares the sames genes.
Enlighten me Italy....mixed with the Arabs, Greeks...?

You've seen the black haired, brown skin Italians before right? Moors used to rule us Mediterranean people for hundreds of years, especially in the southern regions of Portugal, Spain, Italy, etc. There are many dark skin, black hair Portuguese people where my family is from (Madeira), similar to Sicily or the Canary Islands. In the US, my relatives routinely get mistaken for Mexicans, Persians, Arabs, Indian, etc (My dad is Portuguese and actually looks more Indian than my mom, who is 100%
laugh.gif
)

Like I said, yes, most of the people in Spain, Portugal,Italy, etc are white. But there's also many people who are far from being "white"
laugh.gif
What's funny is that many of my Portuguese relatives, whether white or tan, have never classified themselves as any color before coming to the U.S.

Originally Posted by i just got lucky

Originally Posted by VARSITY kid

Filipinos are Asian because they are from a country that is in Asia.

Pretty much...so are Indian, Middle Eastern and Russians.
wrong about the russian part. most ethnic russians live in the west, in the european part. the rest is full of indiginous people mostly who do not identify as russian ethnically.

Originally Posted by Tfromthe617

Originally Posted by endemic415

lolwut

was that a joke or there a story behind that
You should know by know that everyone in the world is at least part Filipino.  That's just how it is.
My Fil-Am people can be annoying most of the time.  Some seriously think it's uncool to be Asian and want to disassociate themselves from that category for some reason.  I say i'm Asian and proud to say it.  I've never heard a Japanese person call themselves a Pacific Islander.

Originally Posted by ady2glude707

Originally Posted by hod

location wise: yes
culturally: no
People keep quoting this but there's no explanation.  Care to give insight as to what an "Asian" culture consists of?  
In terms of culture, I think of food, religion, customs/mannerisms (debatable), artifacts, art, etc etc.

Technicality aside, if you're "from" a portion of the Philippines that borders the Pacific Islands, maybe that could show cause for justification of being labeled "Pacific Islander" perhaps?

Most filipinos I've come into contact with who claim "pacific islander" have no real sense of actual philippine history other than hearsay/public opinion.  Or as Crux stated, they don't want to be associated for whatever connotations "asian" has to offer.

Geographically, yes we are.
But in terms of culture, customs and traditions, I would say no.

Here's a different angle to throw in the mix:

When my pops did his time (California), he said he rode it in the "ISLANDER" car with the Somoan's, Poly's and other Filipinos.

He said Asians such as Viet, Chinese, Korean, and Japanese had thier own "ASIAN" car.

This was in, Folsom, San Quentin, and Salinas Valley BTW

map_philippines.jpg

last time i checked only 7 continents exist in the word and trust me it pisses me when i ask a person are you asian and their like no im a pacific islander i give this face
indifferent.gif
30t6p3b.gif
theirs only 7 continents in the world why are you guys isolating yourself out of asia

Another one of these threads?
30t6p3b.gif

Im Filipino-American and lived in the Philippines for more than 10 years, and everyone there considers themselves ASIAN, not once have i heard a Filipino claim to be Pacific Islander, even Manny Pacquiao says he asian
laugh.gif

Its some of the Fil-Ams here in the US that claim to Pacific Islander, especially the guys. my theory is that they dont want to be associated with some the negative stereotypes of being asian, such as having a small, well you know. and that just because we're darker skinned and have rounder eyes exempts us from being asian (smh, theres plenty of other asians that dont fit the typical asian description such as thais, malaysians, indonesians, indians etc.). again, its just my theory.

I know Im asian but if someone asks me "what are you?" I just say "Im Filipino". 

ummmm i consider myself filipino.

this argument sucks. it's like asking a mexican or canadian if they consider themselves north american

Back
Top Bottom