Are Jordan Retros less special now?

R

RichKen

Are they?

I mean I got the cement 4s, and true blue 3s in the early 2000s when they came out and they were the best things. These are shoes I hadn’t had or seen since 80s. Talking like 11 or 12 years or whatever. Now for the most part it’s I’ll stuff like every year. Every year there are a bare minimum of 2 shoes that are super special to me from the 80s or 90s plus a ton of other colors that are cool but not originals. Has this made Jordan’s less special to others?

I still buy fair amount of Jordan’s, maybe 5 a year, but it doesn’t feel as cool as when they first started retroing.

I don’t think anything could make the shoes less special. However, the General air around sneakers is different, the upcoming Infrared 6 for example, has shown that the new generation no longer wants the OGs from the 90s. The retros from the early 2010s are becoming grails more so.

All depends on the person. I still get hyped for OG colorways. The beginning of this year they seemed to make some kicks more special. But some OGs sat. I think any OG color that he wore will always be special. Just my two cents
I still get hyped and infrared 6 is my favorite, but I’m not as hyped as I was 15 years ago. I still buy though.

Like I said earlier it depends on the person. Im kinda mad I dropped $230 on the platinum tint 11s . I need two pairs of infrared 6s and blk/ cement 4s though. Price point is crazy. For $230 I could of bought am1 and 270. Which are way more comfy and practical. But I still get excited over ogs. It’s still an addiction.

When the retro J's craze started in around '99, I don't think there was anything else to compete with it. Now you have the Off White craze, Yeezy's, etc... All good things come to an end.

I just think after you been doing this so long a little bit of the thrill goes away. I’m a 80’s baby so Jordan’s were part of my childhood, I’m always gonna love them. For a lot of the younger dudes this is just a fad or whats hot for the moment to them. Eventually they’ll move on to the next thing which is what we are seeing happen now. But anyone that came up in that era are always gonna have some type of love for the shoes. I don’t cop many releases nowadays but there is always at least 2 or so a year that gets me excited.

Last edited:
The release cycle isn't the same anymore. You can wait because it will be back in five years and at worst they released so many that you can always buy it resale.

All signature retros are like that now. That and Nike putting no push and putting out low quality Deion's, Bo's and Barkley's.

I’m basically feeling like the last two posts. I’m a 80s baby when retros drooped late 90s earl 2000s they was super fly. But yea bb king the thrill is gone. Still 3 pairs infrared 6 no doubt.

An inevitable result of the culture becoming so mainstream.

Once you get outta the mindset of thinkin that certain sneakers make you special, you’ll stop caring about this kinda ****.

Because everyone for the most part has a chance to buy them?

When the retro J's craze started in around '99, I don't think there was anything else to compete with it. Now you have the Off White craze, Yeezy's, etc... All good things come to an end.

It’s a lovely time right now for people who actually love Jordan’s and actually wear them.

JB raised prices and manufactured more units. This lessened demand and killed the speculative market, a.k.a. resell market. Plus I think people just moved on. Only people who remain are OG heads and a few teens who get a bit of osmosis about Michael Jordan from youtube or their parents/uncles. Kids'll watch a couple of youtube videos on MJ and think hes cool, but they'll never really have that connection we did. I don't think Jordan's will ever really be that special again. I call it the Harley Davidson affect. Harley's were really popular in the 1950's and today have largely an older market. Very few young people buy Harleys.

Last edited:
I think the shoes are still special, but the culture is different. 10 years, ago, I never used to hear about resell or even care. As a younger head, the retro+ that came out was exciting to my generation, and the OG retros were appreciated. We grabbed any retro 8 or retro 5we could in 2007, we split packs during 2008-2009, and we had our fun just like old heads. My gen was old enough to still experience when Mike was a very much talked about celebrity. This new gen has more options, and MJ isn’t the focus he was before, and I think that makes some older folks feel some type of way. Quality is better now than it was during the mid 2000 to mid 2010s, but there’s other things worth attention now. Also, hype and vanity are much more apart of sneaker culture today. I saw someone on IG say they want the Concords but aren’t sure because it’s a GR. That’s crazy even to me.

I don’t think anything could make the shoes less special. However, the General air around sneakers is different, the upcoming Infrared 6 for example, has shown that the new generation no longer wants the OGs from the 90s. The retros from the early 2010s are becoming grails more so.
|l Sad but true.

The further we get from MJs playing days, the harder its going to be for JB to capture the next wave of consumers. That is why they release all these new plus colors. To try to spark up a new interest without relying on the Ogs to fall back on. Cool greys XIs are a perfect example. They are not original, but yet now, just as relevant. This is what JBs goals have to be. New colors equals new interests. To find the balance between satisfying the "old heads" and creating new buyers has to have a thin line there. Has the appeal declined? Yeah a little. But I will always think the Jumpman will always be a relevant brand. Because nowadays these kids see it just as that. A brand.

The Jumpman logo will outlive Michael Jordan, but we’ll really know the apocalypse is coming when kids stop caring about Michael Jackson’s music

e34e2c0819a8f31029b45a41a0bf988a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom