Are *most* black owned/"urban" clothing brands just knock offs?

When I saw title I was ready to call Jimmy a Sly Cooper but lowkey he just broke that **** down.... :lol: People always say "oh black people make something hot and then are on to the next" but is this why?

Even though :lol:

1616788739084.png

1616788777174.png

Ehhh isn’t everything a knockoff to an extent with the number of clothing brands we have? I’m sure Polo and Hilfiger are knockoffs of something else. Seems like a silly argument.

Ehhh isn’t everything a knockoff to an extent with the number of clothing brands we have? I’m sure Polo and Hilfiger are knockoffs of something else. Seems like a silly argument.

What would they be a knockoff of?

Yes everything is inspired but BAPE is the first BAPE, Polo is the first Polo, etc.

Roc A Wear/Sean John like Jimmy said was kinda just a watered down amalgamation of **** that was already popping and being worn when Hov and Puff were just Shawn and Sean.

I might be a little older but in 1991 it was Major Damage and Used Jeans, Cross Colors, Triple 5 Soul, Van-Grack, Triple Fat Goose, lots of "Urban" brands existed before Sean John / Rocawear.
Don't think those brands were really big outside of the DMV

I might be a little older but in 1991 it was Major Damage and Used Jeans, Cross Colors, Triple 5 Soul, Van-Grack, Triple Fat Goose, lots of "Urban" brands existed before Sean John / Rocawear.

Yeah you could even argue that the Avirex, Mecca and Enyce type brands he was rocking instead of Sean John / Rocawear could be considered "urban" also.

Yeah you could even argue that the Avirex, Mecca and Enyce type brands he was rocking instead of Sean John / Rocawear could be considered "urban" also.

Facts!

Wasn't a whole lot of non "urban" customers buying those brands in the 90's.

Still remember my white Akademics velour suit and Air Force Ones.

Headband, wristband...no basketball in sight.

Link with the medallion.

Couldn't tell me NOTHING!

I think he misspoke with Enyce, it was in the same vain.

and Avirex is something we made "urban". It had been around for decades until the hood embraced it. Just like Pelle Pelle.

I think what he was trying to say is simply black hip hop inspired clothing lines that follow trends set before them are wack.

Kind of self hating and kind of true as well

Most brands in general are a knock off of something. Not very many really original brands out there.

Still trying to understand the infatuation some black folk have for these "high fashion" European clothing brands. Jimmy and all these cats go as far as mimicking their logos.

We set the trends but we don't own the means of production. Just consumers making others rich.

Ish is sad :smh:

Back
Top Bottom