Are Smart Watches worth it?

I know they've been out for a while and I never really paid attention they seemed to expensive and just for techies. Then the other day I saw a friend of mine use his and it seemed pretty cool. It was playing music, he was talking on it, reading texts. So I went online and bought one. Some $20 off Amazon to test it out. Now I've never really been on the technology cutting edge. I've never owned a laptop and I bought a tablet a few years back and it's collecting dust. I pretty much live off my phone.

Mine hasn't come yet. But for those that have one, what was your main reason to get one? Does it adequately serve that purpose? Do you find it convenient?

It's a phone companion and convenient. Stops u from having to take your phone out to do things like see who texted, calling you, email, etc. (based off of capabilities) I work in a sub-basement so my phone has to be on my desk in order to get service, if I get a call, I can see who's calling me and answer/cancel from my watch.

Honestly they're one of those things that you don't think you need but once u get in a habit of using one, u find it pretty convenient.

I have the Samsung Gear S and I like it. It's convenient to a certain extent, may only save you a few seconds versus actually taking your phone out. I paid $130 for mine and I don't think I would pay over that for a smart watch.

My girl got me a Apple Watch Series 2 for Christmas. I won't front I love it.

I waited a good while before buying into the smartwatch hype so I feel like a lot of the earlier bugs have been worked out and app support/ development is still on the rise.

I use my watch a ton for fitness related things, sending text, and even making calls to close friends and fam.

Its realy cold where I live but I could easily see myself using this in the summer for jogs outside.

I got my girl a series 2 as well and she didn't wear watches ever but yet she wears this thing all the time. We live in SF so there is sort of a convenience for it since we are always on the bus and what not commuting. Sometimes when you are just standing there packed with other people, it's hard to take out your phone and fiddle with it. I think for the most part, it sort of makes things that aren't even a inconvenience even more convenient. Like reading texts, paying for Starbucks, ApplePay, etc are all sort of easier to manage just literally by flicking your watch on. The fitness aspect is sort of an added bonus but of course that is if you workout and want to track those things.

I think it is worth it if you purposely take advantage of it. It's not going to solve current issues that you might have but it sort of makes life a tad more simple, if that makes sense.

$20 smart watch won't give you an accurate representation of what a smart watch is capable of. That being said, I dont find them to be that useful. We got our phones on us all day anyway, why carry another device that serves the same purpose but does it worse?

You can pay for stuff with it too? That's very convenient. I doubt the one I bought has that feature.

It's pretty basic from what I've read on the reviews. I got it as an intro to see if I'd like it. If I do, I'd probably upgrade to a Galaxy. Not really a fitness head but who knows maybe this might push me into it.

My mom has a fitbit, I'm not sure what they do, but she's always on it checking her "steps" and what not. I'm guessing it's a pedometer.

I have been using a Fitbit Charge the last couple of months. Amazing how it tracks sleep and how many steps you take. It definitely helps alert me to get up and move around since I am in an office for a good 10 hours a day. I also like how it alerts me to messages and calls when I don't have the phone directly on me.

Yea, I considered getting a Fitbit after my Pebble finally gave out but I figured I could spend a lil more and get an actually smart watch that does the same thing. I like Google Fit, but might reinstall Misfit as well.

This Huawei watch is dope :lol:

Had my Gear S2 for almost a year now, for the functionality I get from it and not having to take my phone everywhere it's well worth it for me.

I have been using a Fitbit Charge the last couple of months. Amazing how it tracks sleep and how many steps you take. It definitely helps alert me to get up and move around since I am in an office for a good 10 hours a day. I also like how it alerts me to messages and calls when I don't have the phone directly on me.

Definitely agreed.

it is subtle and not overly exaggerated like the bulge Samsung smart watches, looks like one of my bracelets.

It is mainly for athletes and what not. I do like the Apple Watch also, I just do not like the battery life. The FitBit last a good 3 days before requiring charge.

The only con I have with the Fit is that it aint built that well, specially if you are lifting and all. It easily gets scratched and looks like it will fall apart within a year.

(

Last edited:
I'd say so, especially when you account for normal watches selling for the same amount(Seiko, Citizen, Movado, Bulova, Hamilton, etc.). For what they do, I'd say they're good. Longevity of the watch is my concern.

It's a phone companion and convenient. Stops u from having to take your phone out to do things like see who texted, calling you, email, etc. (based off of capabilities) I work in a sub-basement so my phone has to be on my desk in order to get service, if I get a call, I can see who's calling me and answer/cancel from my watch.

Honestly they're one of those things that you don't think you need but once u get in a habit of using one, u find it pretty convenient.

Basically.

Definitely agreed.

it is subtle and not overly exaggerated like the bulge Samsung smart watches, looks like one of my bracelets.

It is mainly for athletes and what not. I do like the Apple Watch also, I just do not like the battery life. The FitBit last a good 3 days before requiring charge.

The only con I have with the Fit is that it aint built that well, specially if you are lifting and all. It easily gets scratched and looks like it will fall apart within a year.

(

Yeah I am not big on watches anymore so it took a lot for me to use it everyday but like you said.. very subtle which is great! Also true on the battery life.. a good 3 days before I have to charge it. I bought a screen protector and this aftermarket strap that protects it so hopefully it lasts for a while but I know if you use this everyday especially doing outdoor sports like hiking/biking... probably just a matter of time before it does fall apart.

Well worth investment for me cause I am now wanting to walk everywhere and beat all my friends on "workweek hustle" challenges. Also if you're a NBA2k17 fan... it gives you that boost for 2 games after walking 10k in a day... so it's a great motivation.

This, love my Huawei watch. Love smart lock with my phone too so I don't need to unlock when I wear the watch. Have a Fitbit and that's cool too. A $20 watch will be a piss poor way to gauge the features.

Also with the Samsung Pay on the watches now don't eem have to carry my wallet really with all my cards in there.

Got the series 2 Apple watch for Christmas myself. I was one of the skeptical ones when it came to wearable tech but I must say it really is a useful product.

The apps and the functionality for fitness activities is fantastic. Its easy and with the series 2 watch, you can use the GPS functionalities of the running apps and so on. What I particularly love about my watch is how I can store music on it. This makes it so I can play music without needing my phone anywhere near. It holds like 2GB which isn't a ton but still cool and useful.

Also since I wear slimmer fit clothing and I have a larger iPhone. It makes checking my notifications a bit less tedious.

Hows the batt life on the Gears, Apple, & Fitbits??

Also how far away can you br from your phone??

Any of you guys own the Samsung gear s3 frontier? I've been eyeing it, definitely like the look of it.

Any of you guys own the Samsung gear s3 frontier? I've been eyeing it, definitely like the look of it.

The Gear S2 Classic which is the one I have now has the same look. I played with the S3 didn't notice too much of a difference.

Got an Apple watch for Christmas and it's alright.. If it wasn't a gift I would have returned it by now...

Have the Apple Warch series 2. I LOVE IT! One day I left the house and forgot it, man I felt so lost without it [emoji]128514[/emoji]

Hows the batt life on the Gears, Apple, & Fitbits??

Also how far away can you br from your phone??

My watch has its own line so my phone can literally be off and all my calls and text will be re directed to my watch..

I can be miles away from my phone and still use my watch..

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. You guys got me excited to get into this wearable tech wave. I'ma still stick with the $20 joint. Don't want to spend $100+ on something that might be collecting dust after a week.

The one I found takes calls, I can see texts, play music, and count steps. Not bad for $20 I think.

Back
Top Bottom