Are the internet and mobile devices killing television?

Someone said this in the Jay-Z thread...

i literally dont even watch TV anymore

It made me realize that I barely watch any television at all...just a few hours a week.

Everything is just so much easier to access on my phone now.

What does NT think of this? Thoughts? Comments?

Please respond

I think it's due to a lack of good shows on TV now. I really only watch King Of The Hill, a couple of other adult swim shows, movie channels, and whatever shows that still have upcoming seasons such as breaking bad/walking dead/dexter.

I think saying "the Internet" is a little too broad but yea I get your point and agree. With streaming companies like Netflix, Hulu, etc. people can save money by cutting their cable bill and subscribe to that if you want to watch shows. No commercials and you can watch whenever. Even outlets like espn and the nba are available for stream on your xbox's or phones.

I mean I still got uverse but there's so many goddamn channels and things I never watch

Statistics show that TV viewership isn't going down. It's not increasing either. It's exactly the same, while mobile and tablet usage goes up.

Reason this makes sense is the "second screen." 

If you think about it, the TV is still on in most households, mainly as background noise as we are on our phones and computers. Like right now for example.

Can I cancel my cable if all I literally watch is sports (NBA, NFL, and college fball/bball)? I don't want to get stuck watching it on stream sites though w/ crap quality on my computer screen. Anybody else in a similar situation that has a suggestion?

If anything, the internet, tablets, and smartphones are helping extend TV, especially with things like HBOGo and Watch ESPN where you would need a cable authentication for access.

Only about 2% of Americans have 'cut-the-cord' with paid cable, only relying on Netflix and Hulu.

I don't really watch TV anymore either.

I just use it for netflix  and video games which I barley play anymore.

I sometimes record shows to watch, but at most 30 mins to hour a day, 4 to 5 days a week. 

I honestly can't imagine going without my TV. Yeah, I can always stream, but I like flipping through the guide and going, "Oh, that sounds cool" or just leaving it on strictly for background noise.

I think the internet/ services like Netflix, Hulu, etc. will change the model of how cable is provided. Cable bills are getting higher and these alternatives are becoming more attractive and more mainstream to consumers. A lot of ppl are incorporating them and some are cutting cable completely and switching over. I think the success of these companies and streaming services will help usher in a la carte tv. Where we will pay for only channels that we want. All it take is for one network to test the waters...

Last edited:
Yes, said it plenty of times.

only thing holding it back is Live sports

you can hack Roku + Apple tv and put streaming channels (pr0n and I'd assume pirated streaming sports or movies)

just think, having your own "youtube" channel coming through everyone's roku with paid advertisements, in essence broadcasting and marketing yourself!

http://support.roku.com/entries/221203-How-do-I-add-a-private-or-beta-channel-to-my-Roku-player-

edit:
to simplify things, this can be done how shoutcast radio stations worked!

we could consolidate all the NT'ers with youtube channels, give them hourly slots on a 24/hr channel, give the link + code, and we can watch it on our tvs with Roku+internet.

like **********

Last edited:
All i watch is sports really. I just started following scandal recently which is the first show in a while that's caught my attention.

the games already changing now where the networks are charging providers more money and are holding programming hostage by pulling entire channels upon contract expiration, instead of letting things run as usual without a contract until one is reached (like they have always done years past). I used to work for Cablevision and was working they day when Scripps pulled Food Network and HGTV. Twas pure hell. These networks gonna always want more money and at some point get rid of the middle man. Pretty soon instead of the pennies per customer from cable carriers, espn will go to the customer direct for a 1, 2 bucks.

I realized all I watch is sports, cut cable, got some online links to get me all the sports I need. got hulu and Netflix to mix it up a bit. Im good. eeeffff a cable bill.

Statistics show that TV viewership isn't going down. It's not increasing either. It's exactly the same, while mobile and tablet usage goes up.
Reason this makes sense is the "second screen." 

If you think about it, the TV is still on in most households, mainly as background noise as we are on our phones and computers. Like right now for example.

very true

TV for sports.

I rarely catch TV shows when they air.

I usually just stream it online.

My laptop is my television these days....don't even need Boomerang and TV Land for those special old school shows anymore.

I watch cable tv all the time. Only stream on the computer if I cant find it on netflix.

I cut my cable out completely about two years ago. Everything I want to watch I watch online. Tv connected to my laptop and Im good.

Whenever I want to watch a show live, I go to tvguide and see whats on, then go stream it live. Entire show catalogs from pilot to series finales. Local news can get picked up through the antenna. Not to mention all the new movies I watch as well.
I also have Netflix but it doesnt get used as much anymore.

For sports
NFL Redzone for football, or just tune into the actual game I want to watch.( which is usually never since redzone is so much better) NBA league pass for NBA. You dont need cable for this service. Not to mention the Football(Soccer) matches that dont get televised in the states.

Honestly, there is absolutely no reason to pay for cable anymore.
Watching whatever I want, commercial free for free >>>>>Overpaying for hundreds of channels of tv, with nothing to watch.

I goto Reddit/nt or local website for the news.
worst case someone will talk about it at work.

sports, I only watch the finals, which means I'm at the bar with friends.

the tv sitting behind me is a tube tv, and it's only for xbox.

I goto Reddit/nt or local website for the news.
worst case someone will talk about it at work.

sports, I only watch the finals, which means I'm at the bar with friends.

the tv sitting behind me is a tube tv, and it's only for xbox.
For news I go to aljazeera, tyt, and bbc world service

Back
Top Bottom