are there certain limits to the human brain?

What I mean by this question is can you fill up your brain if you know/remember too much things. Like if you memorize the entire bible, is your brain gonna beto the point where it can't function as well as before since you use too much of it ? Or is does the brain expand more as you learn, memorize, do things?

I've wondered this too like is there a capacity that people can learn like how a computer harddrive might have a certain amount of gigabytes of capcity
nerd.gif

I watched an episode of spongebob like that...

Lol but seriously, I think the more you learn, the more you can learn...knowledge breeds curiousity breeds knowledge...just my theory tho...

i think at a certain point you start forgetting details of other things you've learned

they say we only use 2 percent of our brains capacity. Actually they say Einstein used 2 percent, we probably use alot less. Actually sometimes I feel likeI've used 150 percent of my brain and need to clear some stuff. So who knows?

From what I heard, as you are continuously filling up your brain with memories, you are losing memories (ie. childhood events) at the same time.

Originally Posted by bjamez20

i think at a certain point you start forgetting details of other things you've learned

There stored back there. Sometimes I remember stuff completely out of the blue, years upon years of time difference. I still remember things from when Iwas less than 2. and clearly.

Yes, but you won't reach it. Even at your best you're using 10%. That's either really reassurring or we're slackin'
grin.gif

I have a feeling someones having a hard time studying
laugh.gif
...but I think themore you learn the more you forget other things...

well i think there is limits to remembering stuff. like me, i'll be able to remember more in about 10-20 mins of studying, than 1-2 hours of studying.maybe cause your brain just gets tired or bored. maybe its just me, who knows. somtimes i'll catch myself repeating the same word and it'll lose itsmeaning completely

^^for real. i'll read a sentence or a paragraph and not have the slightest clue sometimes and just read it over and over again til i get it right.

I've been up all night and have a test today, that I was suppose to have been studying for.

they say we only use 2 percent of our brains capacity. Actually they say Einstein used 2 percent, we probably use alot less. Actually sometimes I feel like I've used 150 percent of my brain and need to clear some stuff. So who knows?
wrong humans use 100% of their brain

Originally Posted by buggz05

There stored back there. Sometimes I remember stuff completely out of the blue, years upon years of time difference. I still remember things from when I was less than 2. and clearly.

I've never understood why people BS about the age of their earliest childhood memories. Childhood amnesia on average doesn't wear off untilyou're 3½ years old (and basically the minimum limit is 2½ years old).

^doubt that, highly. I'm not saying we only use this little section over here, which is obviously not true. But our brains have more power than we can tapinto.

Originally Posted by Juan Baller

Originally Posted by buggz05

There stored back there. Sometimes I remember stuff completely out of the blue, years upon years of time difference. I still remember things from when I was less than 2. and clearly.

I've never understood why people BS about the age of their earliest childhood memories. Childhood amnesia on average doesn't wear off until you're 3½ years old (and basically the minimum limit is 2½ years old)..

Not really sure what your saying here. Are you saying people can't remember before they are 2.5 years old? I have clear memories before I was thatage, my dad and my step mom started dating when I was 2, I remember plenty before she even came into the picture. My mom was absent from my life from ages2-15 and I have early memories of her. Besides not everybody are the same.

I'm sure some things do just fade away but a lot of the time it may just be that there are no cues to bring that information into consciousness.

Scientist say that humans can remember 100 trillion facts in a life time. SO I highly doubt that you can fill up your brain until it stops working.
doubt that, highly. I'm not saying we only use this little section over here, which is obviously not true. But our brains have more power than we can tap into
Trust me we use all of our brains and who ever says we use less is a ******. No actual scientist will ever make that claim because it isn'ttrue. What you might mean is that we dont tap into our capacity to learn.

people used to memorize a **@$ load of material. my grandfather has the whole quran memorized and he still functions fine

Personally I don't think there's a limit, but things may get stored until you bring them back up I guess. And I have two distinct memories before I was2 and the rest are after I was three years old and up...so I guess it depends on what sticks out in each individuals brain.

Back
Top Bottom