Are you a Negro? Vol. US Census....

Just filled my Census form out the other day and had to do a double-take at #9 
laugh.gif
smh.gif

The word negro is only offensive because it sounds outdated and conjures up memories of times of high racial tension in the history of America. With that being said Negro means black.

negro?? what is this the 60's?

im black.

african american ??
i never even been to africa..

I was curious about that too...why they felt the need to put black, African-American or Negro

When are they gonna drop African-American as a race? I know it's the politically correct term, but it doesn't make sense to me as being a race.

Kinda off topic but... What am I supposed to put for race? Im Nicaraguan.... Do I put White since Im light skinned??

I'm Mexican/Guatemalan American, I put white, because I'm light skinned.  

I mean, it was either White, Native American or Black/A-A/Negro
tongue.gif

Kinda off topic but... What am I supposed to put for race? Im Nicaraguan.... Do I put White since Im light skinned??

Originally Posted by SUCKAFREE85

Maybe White and Native American if you're not 100% of European descent.
laugh.gif
Census is awful on race

this day in age, how can they possibly get the mixed people right?

I'm mixed and there was no option for my family.

Each area, especially the southwest, needs a better series of questions for race

I'm a light skinned west indian and the country that im from (St. Vincent) was first conquered by the French but colonized by the English. Should I put that I'm Caucasian?

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

The word negro is only offensive because it sounds outdated and conjures up memories of times of high racial tension in the history of America. With that being said Negro means black.
exactly.
i think it makes you look dumb to get offended by this.
white : black / caucasian : negro

Apparently the reason is that the older generation in black community still identify themselves as "negroes." I don't know how true that is. 
To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the term "African-American." I don't understand why we can't just all be comfortable with black.
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

In Spanish, yes, "negro" means the color black. However, the census is not written in Spanish.

I am an American black man.

Originally Posted by Tus4Prez

Apparently the reason is that the older generation in black community still identify themselves as "negroes." I don't know how true that is. 
To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the term "African-American." I don't understand why we can't just all be comfortable with black.
ohwell.gif
I've never heard my grandparents refer to themselves as "negro" and they are in their late 70's-80's, so i dont know how much truth there is to it either.

Back
Top Bottom