arie spears = ninjahood

you ain't lyin...GREAT entertainment.

it just seem like some of people be legit irritated and trying to prove their point when Ninjahood is NEVER going to say "yeah...you right...you got me."

and the criticism from the rest of the community isn't gonna make him ditch the thread either. he gone keep em coming.

maaaaan s/o to Ninja bro
pimp.gif
lol easiest is calling most of Dominicans black(when in reality the majority of the country is of African heritage)

umm yea it does, da identity of these places still permeate thru their music...accents, neighborhood references, styles, slang, etc.

thats what i used to LOVE about rap..thats kinda why outta all da south, i dig Houston..they got they own CULTURE..as a NY cat i love that

foreign vernacular...homogenization of rap ruins it, like its ruined personal style and fashion... as a New Yorker, i dont want OUR rappers to

pretend like they from other places..**** is wack, be who you are, because if you claimin a town, you better sound like you from there...

agree 1000% rep where the **** you're from . the fact that some people have no idea where ASAP Rocky is from is insane . 10 - 15 years ago EVERYONE knew where every big rapper was from because of their sound and how hard they repped their hometown

Last edited:
Everyone's got an opinion, I respect it.

A lot of southern rappers do lack content. That's fact.

They got the vibe sonically but cats are rehashing the same thing over and over again. That's why the game is at a standstill. The South got the torch but they haven't brought anything to the game in like 8 years.

Chicago and LA are really the innovators right now.

But they stealing from the south...

You say the south hasn't brought anything in over 8 years, but the whole Chicago/LA sound is like rehashing the south's vibe. 

Pretty much. "new" Chicago is sounding like variant Atlanta outside of like 2-3 guys. And Kreayshawn was holding up the banner for Call until Kendrick Lamar/TDE came through.

One problem that alot of you have is that you try to pigeon hole rappers into these regional sounds that died years ago.

Ya'll think everything from New York is supposed to be boom bap.
Ya'll think everything from Atlanta is suppose to have heavy 808s.
Ya'll think everything from LA is supposed to sound like DJ Quik did it.

Someone of you dudes need to understand that it's the 21st century and those stereotypes don't reign true anymore.

Stop it your making too much sense + rep.

It's 2013 man i'm a 90's baby I grew up on 90's rap only artist I listened to as a kid that wasn't from NY was Bone thugs and that's only cause my older cousin played them . Everything that was on TV and the radio were East Coast artist. Hip Hop has changed since the early 2000's all that region **** is dead 14 and 15 year olds don't know **** about east coast west coast beef , the south getting blackballed on NY radio, etc. it's a new day and age man.

Though this is true, it's a double edged sword. Since hip hop has evolved, you honestly can't tell where anybody is from anymore, which is something I think set hip hop apart from other genres. Every city/state/region had it's own distinctive sound, and that is truly all but dead now. If Big Sean didn't reference Detroit here and there, you'd think him, Kreayshawn, and Lil' Debbie were neighbors. I only know Meek Mill is from Philly cause he sounds like a much less interesting/engaging, no filter Peed Crakk. I'm not familiar with DC music, but if you didn't already know where he came from, he'd have a tough time placing Wale anywhere.

Big Krit reps the heart of soul of the South, and makes very distinctive music that is a spin on old school southern legends. Kendrick Lamar purely reps Cali, and makes his own spin on throwbacks. You can tell who both artists were influenced by, which I think makes the music even better and more meaningful. So even though music has evolved and transcended to so matter people, it's also been watered down to hell. Thankfully there's enough artists out there still making distinctive unique music, or putting an equally fresh spin on the old.

Last edited:
agree 1000% rep where the **** you're from . the fact that some people have no idea where ASAP Rocky is from is insane . 10 - 15 years ago EVERYONE knew where every big rapper was from because of their sound and how hard they repped their hometown
I do agree that regional rap was much better. You had a few rappers that could do mutiple regional rap(Snoop, 50, and Jay) but I liked guessing or knowning where a rapper was from just by his music. Now everyone has the same flow of a southern guy and I don't think the NY, LA, or Chicago life is the same as the South.

Everyone's got an opinion, I respect it.

A lot of southern rappers do lack content. That's fact.

They got the vibe sonically but cats are rehashing the same thing over and over again. That's why the game is at a standstill. The South got the torch but they haven't brought anything to the game in like 8 years.

Chicago and LA are really the innovators right now.

I cant agree with that, Future is one of the biggest innovators in the agame right now imo, i never heard autotune done the way he uses it.

lol Chicago rap has zero content its just sonically pleasing no diff then a no name ATL rapper. LA well K.Dot since he the only LA cat I know of right now, doesnt even sound like a Cali artist, he has that pure Organized Noise vibe imo.

chicago has

lupe kanye common. thats enough content to teach about 2 decades of quality hip hop kid. dont ever diss my city

:rofl:

It's a damn shame though when most people talk about Chicago they talk about that GBE garbage.

I'm not familiar with DC music, but if you didn't already know where he came from, he'd have a tough time placing Wale anywhere.

DC is heavy on Go Go. Wale is the only one that really made it in rap. People are so in love with that Go Go **** a lot of dudes don't even care about Hip Hop. Wale has a strong DC/PG county accent so I think people can tell he's from the area. Unless you're not familiar with the accent either.

Last edited:
roll.gif

It's a damn shame though when most people talk about Chicago they talk about that GBE garbage.
DC is heavy on Go Go. Wale is the only one that really made it in rap. People are so in love with that Go Go **** a lot of dudes don't even care about Hip Hop. Wale has a strong DC/PG county accent so I think people can tell he's from the area. Unless you're not familiar with the accent either.
Go Go is still bigger than RAP in DC. I think its a good thing imo.

Yeah it's not even a question as far as whats bigger. DC area is like 80% Go Go, 10% Wale, 10% Gucci. :lol:

Of course I'm exaggerating a little but that's basically what it is.

Last edited:
Yeah it's not even a question as far as whats bigger. DC area is like 80% Go Go, 10% Wale, 10% Gucci.
laugh.gif

Of course I'm exaggerating a little but that's basically what it is.
Go Go is still bigger than RAP in DC. I think its a good thing imo.
Not even.

Go-Go is as dead as its ever been. The old heads don't rock with bounce beat gogo and the youngins have diluted the scene with it SO much that it spawned a bunch of new bands that all sounded the same and couldn't stand out. Add that to the fact that most of the popular venues have been shut down due to violence at shows, faulty permits, etc. and there's no real base for the culture anymore. It will never die but the only ones eating off it are the classic bands like Backyard who can still sell out weekly shows and there aren't too many youngins you'll see at those shows.

That 80% is more like 30%. Get out in these hoods in the city and you'll see rap...more specifically trap rap is what's in amongst inner city youth. Ironically...the same thing I mentioned about the internet replacing heavy regional cultures is what's going on in DC right now. That Chief Keef / GBE sound is what everybody is on right now. Most kids in DC can quote you Lil JoJo lyrics which is crazy if you consider the fact that he was only a "local" guy in Chicago. Now with everybody and their mama wanting to rap and how easy it is to shoot a video...all of the youngins that were trying to start Go-Go bands in the 90s and 00's are now trying to rap. Shy Glizzy, Lightshow, and Fat Trel are bigger and more popular in the city than any Go-Go band not named Backyard.

Even guys that were big on the go-go scene are trying to be full time rappers now. Look at Roc Mikey and Fat Trel's homie Yung Gleesh (formerly Boogie from TOB). 

Wale is never going to be huge in the inner city because he's not a representation for that culture. However, for this "DMV" scene that represents the entire metropolitan area including the suburbs in MD and VA...Wale is a megastar. Any show/event/in-store/appearance Wale throws in the area he's going to bring out  a ton of people. 

DC is as "Rap/Hip-Hop" as it's ever been.

Last edited:
umm yea it does, da identity of these places still permeate thru their music...accents, neighborhood references, styles, slang, etc.

thats what i used to LOVE about rap..thats kinda why outta all da south, i dig Houston..they got they own CULTURE..as a NY cat i love that

foreign vernacular...homogenization of rap ruins it, like its ruined personal style and fashion... as a New Yorker, i dont want OUR rappers to

pretend like they from other places..**** is wack, be who you are, because if you claimin a town, you better sound like you from there...

Yup, i dont subscribe to this fraud era cats got going

On now..

**** i actually liked this debate

Crazy seeing 3 NYC radio heads defend southern rap

**** is program director voicing his opinion for tho...***** still weird to me

**** is equivalent to Puffy being all up in the camera dancing in people's videos in the 90's.

Ninjahood never dissed the south to my knowledge.
I even think he has some of their Source ads on his wall

Aries called him Jar Jar Binks... much like I said a year ago

I'm a comedian, point proven

*high fives self*

Last edited:
I agree with some you on the regional thing. Hip Hop is just a uniform sound now. Thats why I got alot of love for Black Hippy and Joey Badass crew, they make the music that they came up in. You can't be mad at the south IMO then been making the music they make, be mad at everyone else for hopping on they ****.

And Ninja as much French is ya boy you got to admit he switch to Southpaw to get radio love/ national attention. Yeah on those older tapes he keeps it NY, but its about your most recent work and thats what he did.

I agree with some you on the regional thing. Hip Hop is just a uniform sound now. Thats why I got alot of love for Black Hippy and Joey Badass crew, they make the music that they came up in. You can't be mad at the south IMO then been making the music they make, be mad at everyone else for hopping on they ****.

And Ninja as much French is ya boy you got to admit he switch to Southpaw to get radio love/ national attention. Yeah on those older tapes he keeps it NY, but its about your most recent work and thats what he did.

politics.

I listen to the music i feel is good for me and to me. We all do it but might not admit it the best artists are not in heavy rotation. For example im listening to tito lopez who I feel is tight i pick up the homie he says hey put that insert top 40 chart artist here me hell to the uh uh...
eyes.gif
 been drinking excuse me A WACK ARTIST IS A WACK ARTIST NO MATTER WHERE THEY FROM my 2 cents

music overall is going to be relegated to a tool to sell something else.

ya didn't wanna uphold da standards to it, so no one values it anymore...

ehh w/e i stopped caring, you know why? i speak spanish, i can just listen to classic bachata, salsa, and merrengue..

ya cats are stuck with this mess
laugh.gif
Everytime I think you can't say anything dumber, you just up the dumb to maximum.

ehh w/e i stopped caring, you know why? i speak spanish, i can just listen to classic bachata, salsa, and merrengue..

:lol:
Everytime I think you can't say anything dumber, you just up the dumb to maximum.

your slander rings hollow...other then rap, what genre speaks to this generation in a effective and compelling manner?

R&B been washed up, rock? lol....EDM? lol....

*tunes into alex sensation en lamega*

laugh.gif
your slander rings hollow...other then rap, what genre speaks to this generation in a effective and compelling manner?

R&B been washed up, rock? lol....EDM? lol....

*tunes into alex sensation en lamega*
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

La Mega gets it poppin.  Do you like X96.3?  I think they're ok but 97.9 puts on the hot mixes.

As to your point, I think the majority of Americans (African Americans in particular) are limited to Rap/Hip Hop.  Of course there are small outlets of Neo-Soul, Rock, R&B, EDM, etc. but they don't really have mass appeal.

For Caribbean Americans (of all races) we have Reggae, Dancehall, Soca, Zouk, Chutney, etc. Africans have Azonto as well as other musicians from their homeland (Wale not counted).  Latinos/Hispanics have Cumbia, Reggaeton, Salsa, Merengue, Tango, Samba etc.

Sad as it is to say, America musically has become a one trick pony in the mainstream.  Like I said other genres flourish online and in small scenes around the country but nationally speaking Hiphop/Rap (which has taken over most of Pop music) the thing.

:lol:

R
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

La Mega gets it poppin.  Do you like X96.3?  I think they're ok but 97.9 puts on the hot mixes.

As to your point, I think the majority of Americans (African Americans in particular) are limited to Rap/Hip Hop.  Of course there are small outlets of Neo-Soul, Rock, R&B, EDM, etc. but they don't really have mass appeal.

For Caribbean Americans (of all races) we have Reggae, Dancehall, Soca, Zouk, Chutney, etc. Africans have Azonto as well as other musicians from their homeland (Wale not counted).  Latinos/Hispanics have Cumbia, Reggaeton, Salsa, Merengue, Tango, Samba etc.

Sad as it is to say, America musically has become a one trick pony in the mainstream.  Like I said other genres flourish online and in small scenes around the country but nationally speaking Hiphop/Rap (which has taken over most of Pop music) the thing.

bingo.

Back
Top Bottom