Arrest the Pope for his crimes against Humanity

Poptart-

This thread has nothing to do with being a theist or atheist. I know some Catholics that think this is grounds for the pope's removal. In fact, I think it is somewhat sad that it is taking two Atheist to press on for his removal. I would hope that Catholics would be more pissed off than anyone.

Don't muddy the waters with this Atheist vs. Theist stuff.

Originally Posted by AJChick23

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

Originally Posted by spsfinest212

the responses should be interesting on this one...
dca15f427e62befea888b69f995070ed4920282.gif

Spoiler [+]
boywithbinoculars.png
14o5c91.gif

Originally Posted by frostythepoptart

dunno how I feel yet but seems pretty bad. It sucks with someone in a position of power is in the wrrong though but it still doesn't reflect the greater population. Everyone didn't blame homosexuals or atheists for priest scandals. Anywho I always question atheism. Like I mind my business and other people mind theirs. If you dont believe in any faiths whats the need of a label? No flame but I'd just not believe and go on with my day as oppose to repeating "i don't believe you shouldn't believe and attacking / throwing any religious under the microscope. Anwyho Just wish everyone could be more respectful. Heres to hoping before this thread erupts.
I agree that is ridiculous that some people that don't believe in religion feel the need to put a title on what it is they are, but at the same time someone in the church needs to step up and take the fall.  It is stupid how they sit up there and protect CHILD MOLESTERS, talk about being one of the most corrupt organizations in the world.  They harbor these people that go against everything they are about.  Something like this needs to erupt and prove that nobody is safe from their due justice.  The Catholic church has gotten to be a complete joke, don't they realize it is time to modernize and let go of the old world views they preach.  Allow priests to marry, that way they are getting some *#@ and not going around molesting children. 

I think a real investigation should take place, and I think everyone would agree to that.

Until justice is served, only then can the Catholic Church begin it's recovery.

What I don't like is that Hitchens and Dawkins are assuming they know more about the entire affairs than the rest of us, and jump to the "arrest him!"

What do we know other than what the news tells us? A proper investigation to examine the claims of "shuffling of priests" and "pedophilia cover up" is necessary.

When they say "arrest him" it shows their bias and motivation. To put it bluntly, they don't want justice as much as they want religion to look bad.

Jesse Ventura wants the Catholic church prosecuted under RICO laws(the laws the feds implemented to bring down organized crime) too, he's kinda got a point.

The Church is the single most powerful and wealthiest political institution on the Globe.
Good luck in pursuing any sort of justice.
laugh.gif

There is a big difference between the Pope and a head of state. The head of state has binding, coercive authority over people while the Roman Catholic church, currently, is a voluntary organization. It is largely paid for by private tithes (in some European countries people have some of their taxes go to the Catholic Church but only if they register themselves as Catholic, if they choose anything else, the Church does not get their tithe/tax), the Church no longer has binding political authority and membership in the Church is voluntary.

The Church should not be above criticism nor should it be above the law and it should be prosecuted by local authorities if the priests break the law. However, even very bad behavior by the Pope, the head of the world's largest voluntary membership organization on the planet, is not as bad as even slightly bad behavior on the part of the least power holder of coercive power (small town mayors, local judges, police officers), let alone as bad as a President or Prime Minister who slightly his binding, coercive powers over citizens.

People need to vote with their feet and break away and form their own church, with its own leadership and array of subtle doctrinal differences. That is the beauty of Christianity, if you do not like your Church, you and a few like minded folks can simply found a new Church whose dogmas conform to your own beliefs.

Originally Posted by Mo Matik

I think a real investigation should take place, and I think everyone would agree to that.

Until justice is served, only then can the Catholic Church begin it's recovery.

What I don't like is that Hitchens and Dawkins are assuming they know more about the entire affairs than the rest of us, and jump to the "arrest him!"

What do we know other than what the news tells us? A proper investigation to examine the claims of "shuffling of priests" and "pedophilia cover up" is necessary.

When they say "arrest him" it shows their bias and motivation. To put it bluntly, they don't want justice as much as they want religion to look bad.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

There is a big difference between the Pope and a head of state. The head of state has binding, coercive authority over people while the Roman Catholic church, currently, is a voluntary organization. It is largely paid for by private tithes (in some European countries people have some of their taxes go to the Catholic Church but only if they register themselves as Catholic, if they choose anything else, the Church does not get their tithe/tax), the Church no longer has binding political authority and membership in the Church is voluntary.

The Church should not be above criticism nor should it be above the law and it should be prosecuted by local authorities if the priests break the law. However, even very bad behavior by the Pope, the head of the world's largest voluntary membership organization on the planet, is not as bad as even slightly bad behavior on the part of the least power holder of coercive power (small town mayors, local judges, police officers), let alone as bad as a President or Prime Minister who slightly his binding, coercive powers over citizens.

People need to vote with their feet and break away and form their own church, with its own leadership and array of subtle doctrinal differences. That is the beauty of Christianity, if you do not like your Church, you and a few like minded folks can simply found a new Church whose dogmas conform to your own beliefs.
Easier said than done.
The Church has survived countless administrations and forms of government in many countries. In many poor countries, the Church is the de facto state locally ( in that it provides the social services that the gov't doesn't/ can't). 
The Church does have coercive power. It depends where you're looking.

Rex, how are priests supposed to be punished by local authorities if the Pope and Vatican evil-doers do everything in their power to keep any of their wrongdoings from ever being brought to light? That's the whole issue! They circumvent the law.

*insert clap gif

and to all those who have certain knowledge on christianity, doesnt the involvement of the catholic church in politics (wanting to be a member of UN
eek.gif
) make it the said leader of false religion, aka the devil?

Also, think of this; why is the pope held above the law? Why don't Catholics ask more of him? If he is God's Earth-walking word, why is it too much to ask that he abide by mere mortal laws? How is he so holy that he is not being held accountable for actually doing criminal things? I think that is Hitchens' and Dawkins' point. Why is he above the law, because he was elected by the same people partially complicit in the same atrocities that he is to run an organization that has shown no reverence for the law? Rubbish!

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

Easier said than done.
The Church has survived countless administrations and forms of government in many countries. In many poor countries, the Church is the de facto state locally ( in that it provides the social services that the gov't doesn't/ can't). 
The Church does have coercive power. It depends where you're looking.
That is another thing that pisses me off about the Catholic church.  How they are always going to third world countries and forcing their bs on the native people converting them to believe in their views.

As for people breaking away and forming their own religion, that is the point, they are already in a trance by the church they follow.  They are being controlled, they are meant to think that if they challenge the beliefs of the church that it is a sin.  People that believe in the church are lost souls already, people that can't think for themselves.  Why else would they go and follow these organizations.  This all goes back to religion is made to control people. 

Bump for
smh.gif

Belgian Bishop Quits Over Sex Abuse

ROME — The longest-serving bishop in Belgium resigned Friday after admitting to sexually abusing “a young man in my close entourage

Back
Top Bottom