Arsenal fan commits suicide

[h1]Kenyan Arsenal fan hangs himself after Man Utd defeat[/h1]

By Humphrey Malalo

NAIROBI, May 6 (Reuters) - An Arsenal fan in soccer-mad Kenya hanged himself wearing his beloved team's shirt after their defeat to Manchester United in the Champions League.

Like elsewhere across Africa, Kenyans pack bars for English Premier League and Champions League matches, especially those involving Arsenal, Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool.

Suleiman Omondi, 29, was found hanged at his home in a middle-class Nairobi estate shortly after leaving distraught from the pub where he had watched Arsenal lose 3-1 in their Champions League semi-final at the Emirates on Tuesday.

"He took some drinks and broke down in tears within the final minutes of the match," a fellow bar patron, who asked not to be named, told Reuters.

Police said they were called to Omondi's house on Wednesday morning. "What we are gathering is this suicide is related to the Arsenal and Manchester match," local Embakasi area police chief David Bunei told reporters.

Bar attendants said they had to intervene after Omondi lunged at a man who suggested Arsenal would not recover from conceding two early goals. They also lost the first leg 1-0.

Brawls are common in Kenya during football matches and there have been other related suicides reported in the past.

(Writing by Andrew Cawthorne, editing by Ken Ferris)

smh.gif

And we here in the states think we are dedicated to our teams. This is to all the people here who say they are "diehard" fans. That dude is thedefinition of a diehard fan. R.I.P.

Originally Posted by JONFARR

And we here in the states think we are dedicated to our teams. This is to all the people here who say they are "diehard" fans. That dude is the definition of a diehard fan. R.I.P.
Then I will never, ever wanna be a diehard fan then.

Unless you did something there.
nerd.gif

Hanging yourself for that is just stupid.
My guess is there was something else involved.. maybe this particular result meant he was out of pocket with some bad people or something??

Originally Posted by blaxoid

My guess is there was something else involved.. maybe this particular result meant he was out of pocket with some bad people or something??
Same thing I was thinking.

sports are never EVER that serious.

also betting large sums on sporting events is the farthest thing from wise.

People don't actually kill themselves over things like sporting events - while that may have triggered this, if dude was going to commit that he was doingit for bigger reasons than a game and all he needed was something to push him over the edge - possibly gambling like suggested, or depression of other sorts.

But of course the media will just play the angle that he was a a crazy soccer fan who couldn't take a loss for his team.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by marionthebarberian

This is why I LOVE soccer fans. They ride and die with their teams.
wait.. i really hope you aren't praising this guy for his actions.. you LOVE the fact that they die for their teams? seriously?
indifferent.gif

Back
Top Bottom