ART COLLECTORS - I Need Some Help and Direction

Within the last couple of years I have started collecting art...mainly oil paintings and prints. I used to live near London where shopping for pieces was much easier than it is now that I am in Houston. I am really looking to build my collection and have just recently discovered a few websites to further my very immature collection.

I need some help finding more sources for purchasing art on the Internet. Also, if you have any advice on how I should go about this since I am such a novice in the art world. Any books you can recommend I read and any websites for purchasing would be very helpful.

So far I have browsed and found some good stuff on

http://www.lscgallery.com
http://www.blackbookgallery.com/
http://www.saatchiart.com/

Thanks for he links but yeah I'm no snob...high end has no bearing on me.

My neighbor is an art collector and has been collecting art for 50 some years. He's in his late 70s now and has a 5,000 piece collection. I was lucky enough for him to purchase one of my pieces about two years ago and we remain good friends. 

I'm in no way an art collector, but I remember him telling me that if you like something, buy it. Doesn't matter the name value or price, if it resonates with you by all means pull the trigger. I remember him telling me he had Doyle Lane pieces he purchased when he was 16 for anywhere from $5-$10 dollars that are now going for upwards of $25,000-$50,000. His name is Enrique Serrato if ya wanna look him up. Here's a vid of him if you're interested. Good luck with what ya got up your sleeve OP

as far as finding bargains, you'd be surprise what you can find at the goodwill, salvation army. you can get some pieces for cheap. even hear stories of people finding gems there.

I wanted to really pursue a print collection. Mainly because of budget...I'll probably end up picking up more original pieces later on down the road when I get more experience. It's such a big investment.

Looking at Ravi zupa

RaviZupaHardDream.jpg

Zach johnsen
zenvironments_cure_all_print.jpg

I have a couple of Shepard fairey prints. I really like his out of e ordinary stuff
Dark-Wave-Japan-btmp-500x376.jpg

shepard-fairey-Slick-New-Wave.jpg

Last edited:
My neighbor is an art collector and has been collecting art for 50 some years. He's in his late 70s now and has a 5,000 piece collection. I was lucky enough for him to purchase one of my pieces about two years ago and we remain good friends. 

I'm in no way an art collector, but I remember him telling me that if you like something, buy it. Doesn't matter the name value or price, if it resonates with you by all means pull the trigger. I remember him telling me he had Doyle Lane pieces he purchased when he was 16 for anywhere from $5-$10 dollars that are now going for upwards of $25,000-$50,000. His name is Enrique Serrato if ya wanna look him up. Here's a vid of him if you're interested. Good luck with what ya got up your sleeve OP

Awesome

Last edited:
Artnet

Paddle8.com

Artspace.com

Geminigel

Whitewalls.gallery

Artsper

1stdibs

Artsy.net

Lofty.com

Artsalesindex.artinfo.com has auction records, it's good for seeing what comparable works are going for, etc.

Cargo Collective is like a portfolio building site but has a lot of contemporary artists with things for sale as well

This is gonna sound generic but the best advice is just to do your homework like anything you wanna invest in. Get a good knowledge of art history and various art movements. Having your ear to the streets so to speak is key for upcoming artist. Try to diversify your collection by buying small works by established artists and emerging artists alike. Try to stay away from "trendy" ****. My homies ex-gf's sister is a dealer and is doing pretty well in LA now, she mostly buys contemporary but she also buys up a lot of stuff by well known artists in medium's they aren't particularly known for. Speaking of contemporary, that's seen as the "riskiest" since a lot of these people won't make it but by that same token a decent portion of them will and it's a lot cheaper than purchasing the work of *insert* great artist. Some of those Warhol's going for crazy numbers originally sold for like $500. Me being a young artist I'm also kind of biased 
laugh.gif

Also, don't get too caught in name of the artist focus on the quality piece as well.

If you ever have time look up Dorothy and Herbert Vogel. One was a postal worker and the other a librarian, instead of going out for nice dinners etc they spent their money on art. Fast forward to 91 and they're known in the art world and sitting on millions of dollars worth of art, the majority of which they donated to the National Gallery.

Some of the best deals I've seen were at charity auctions but don't be afraid to look in other "non - traditional" places. I bought a signed Rauschenberg print in good condition from eBay for cheap, the family had some type of estate sale for their grandmother who had passed away and apparently some of the stuff had gotten left out so they threw it on eBay.

Just buy what you like IMO buying purely to flip can leave you burned in the end because a lot these pieces only become good deals in retrospect. I buy stuff that I like I don't have a big collection, I'd rather buy an art photography book, but I have no plans to sell any of my **** unless I'm on the verge of being homeless 
laugh.gif

Edit:

And Houston is actually considered a top art market in the U.S  because of the number of collectors, the MFAH, Menil Collection, etc. You should get out to the Houston Fine Art Fair this year even if you don't plan on buying anything.

Last edited:
All that stuff ppl said is cool, but those websites are way too big to shift through imo, especially if you live in Houston which is a big art market.

Subscribe to email lists for local galleries in Houston, go to opening and converse with the art people, and most importantly don't expect much. Do it for pleasure.

Art Palace, Holly Johnson Gallery, Lawndale Art Center, David Shelton, Moody Gallery, and more..

Prices in those are all mixed, but like ppl said pursue what you like and expand your interests and knowledge so you can find a come up here or there.

All that stuff ppl said is cool, but those websites are way too big to shift through imo, especially if you live in Houston which is a big art market.

Subscribe to email lists for local galleries in Houston, go to opening and converse with the art people, and most importantly don't expect much. Do it for pleasure.

Art Palace, Holly Johnson Gallery, Lawndale Art Center, David Shelton, Moody Gallery, and more..

Prices in those are all mixed, but like ppl said pursue what you like and expand your interests and knowledge so you can find a come up here or there.
This is honestly the best response in here OP. You're in a top art market, take advantage of it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom